Voltage vs Resistance. (Temperature analogy for metals)

In summary, high voltage decreases volume resistance of insulation materials. It is not fully explained in science, but it is possibly due to the presence of water on ppm level.
DoubtfulOxymoron
Hello everyone,

From what i know electrical resistance for metals is a constant, but in fact it varies with temperature but not voltage. Explanation for metals and temperature is something like "heat, which is in fact average speed of electrons, does obstruct tranmission of other electrons called also electrical current, thus higher temperature = higher electrical resistance"
But I am not aware that voltage would affect resistance of metals (are there any extreme limits?).

Now the hard part. How can you explain the fact that high voltage does actualy decrease volume resistance of insulation materials? I am not saying there is any suitable analogy to previous example, but I am really begging for solid explanation of this phenomenon.

I would prefer explanation on microscopic scale.
But any enlightement will be appreciated!

PS: I believe this could be better explained by material engineers, than electrical engineers.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the Drude Model? . Mean free path between collisions is a dominant material-dependent parameter.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drude_model

Regarding insulators, I'm not sure what you are asking about. But there is a mechanism of high voltage damage that carves tracks in the medium that look like lightning bolt branching paths. Molecular structure is modified along the tracks.

Yes that's what i thought too, it's called also electrical treeing. Some paths are being ionized more than others in insulation, this could explain decreased resistance or higher currents through the insulation. Thank you anorlunda.

Is there any detailed description why is this happening, or what material property does indicate severity of this phenomenon?

A Google search on +treeing +insulation
turned up several papers on the subject.

Include the + signs in the search.

Likes DoubtfulOxymoron
Thanks again anorlunda, I have found useful link http://www.posterus.sk/?p=16307 . It is more clear now.

Although the phenomenon is not fully explained in science yet. Especialy I can't see very good indicator desriribing this material property. Only usefull information for me is that presence of water on ppm level is factor triggering treeing process.

1. What is voltage and resistance in terms of electricity?

Voltage is the measure of the force or pressure that pushes electrical current through a conductor, while resistance is the measure of how difficult it is for the current to flow through the conductor.

2. How are voltage and resistance related?

Voltage and resistance are inversely related - as voltage increases, resistance decreases, and vice versa. This means that a higher voltage will result in a greater current flow through a given resistance, while a lower voltage will result in a lower current flow.

3. What is the temperature analogy for metals and their resistance?

The temperature analogy for metals and their resistance is similar to the flow of electricity through a wire. Just as the flow of water through a pipe encounters resistance from the walls of the pipe, the flow of electricity through a wire encounters resistance from the atoms and molecules of the metal. As the temperature of the metal increases, the atoms and molecules vibrate more, causing more resistance to the flow of electricity.

4. How does temperature affect the resistance of a metal?

As mentioned before, an increase in temperature will cause an increase in the resistance of a metal due to increased atomic vibrations. This means that as the temperature of a metal increases, its resistance will also increase, and vice versa.

5. How does voltage affect the temperature of a metal?

Voltage does not directly affect the temperature of a metal. However, as current flows through a metal, it generates heat due to the resistance of the metal. This heat can then cause the temperature of the metal to increase, which in turn can affect its resistance.