Voltmeter cylindrical shell help

In summary, the question involves finding the voltage between the surface of a cylindrical shell carrying a charge of linear density 8.90*10^-6 C/m and two different points: 4.70 above the surface and 1.00 from the central axis of the cylinder. The equation used to solve this problem is delta V= ( lemda/ 2pi epslion) (ln(rb/ra)), but the distance should be measured from the cylinder's axis.
kimm

Homework Statement

A very long insulating cylindrical shell of radius 6.00 cm carries charge of linear density 8.90*10^-6 C/m spread uniformly over its outer surface.
*What would a voltmeter read if it were connected between the surface of the cylinder and a point 4.70 above the surface. and What would a voltmeter read if it were connected between the surface and a point 1.00 from the central axis of the cylinder?

Homework Equations

delta V= ( lemda/ 2pi epslion) (ln(rb/ra))

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

if you don't show your attempt to solve the question ,no one would be able to help , please show your work even if it is wrong..

kimm said:

Homework Statement

A very long insulating cylindrical shell of radius 6.00 cm carries charge of linear density 8.90*10^-6 C/m spread uniformly over its outer surface.
*What would a voltmeter read if it were connected between the surface of the cylinder and a point 4.70 above the surface. and What would a voltmeter read if it were connected between the surface and a point 1.00 from the central axis of the cylinder?

Homework Equations

what i did was
(8.90* 10^-6/ 2 pi 8.85*10^-12)ln (4.5/6)
i got -39084.73
but the answer was wrong

I think that the equation you used is applied for charged conducting cylinder, and your question involves cylindrical shell.. so are they the same?

I suggest you try to think if you can somehow relate the question you have to a ring of charge in order to find the voltage..

Guys I reallly thought about it but i have not found an answer can some one solve it.

kimm said:
Guys I reallly thought about it but i have not found an answer can some one solve it.
No, this forum does not work that way.

what i did was
(8.90* 10^-6/ 2 pi 8.85*10^-12)ln (4.5/6)
i got -39084.73
but the answer was wrong
Where does the 4.5 come from? The point is "4.70 above the surface", but you should use distance to the cylinder's axis in that formula.

Related to Voltmeter cylindrical shell help

1. What is a voltmeter cylindrical shell?

A voltmeter cylindrical shell is a device used to measure the voltage of an electrical circuit. It consists of a cylindrical metal case with a display screen and two probes that are used to make contact with the circuit.

2. How does a voltmeter cylindrical shell work?

A voltmeter cylindrical shell works by using the principles of Ohm's law, which states that voltage is equal to the product of current and resistance. The device measures the potential difference between two points in a circuit by sending a small current through the circuit and measuring the resulting voltage.

3. What are the advantages of using a voltmeter cylindrical shell?

Using a voltmeter cylindrical shell allows for accurate and precise measurement of voltage in electrical circuits. It is also a portable and convenient tool that can be used in various settings, from laboratories to industrial settings.

4. How do you use a voltmeter cylindrical shell?

To use a voltmeter cylindrical shell, first turn the device on and set it to the appropriate voltage range. Then, touch the two probes to the points in the circuit where you want to measure the voltage. The display screen will show the voltage reading in the unit of measurement selected.

5. Can a voltmeter cylindrical shell be used to measure other quantities besides voltage?

No, a voltmeter cylindrical shell is specifically designed to measure voltage and cannot be used to measure other quantities. Other types of meters, such as ammeters or ohmmeters, are used to measure current and resistance, respectively.