Voltmeter readings across a closed/open switch in circuits

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with a bulb, switch, and battery, and the use of voltmeters to measure potential difference. The question asks which voltmeters give non-zero readings and which ones read terminal potential difference when the switch is open and closed. The conversation also delves into the concept of potential difference and how it relates to current, as well as the use of KVL in analyzing the circuit. Through the conversation, it is determined that an open switch has a very high resistance, which means that the current in the circuit tends to zero and the voltage at the switch is the same as the battery. This explains why the voltmeter across the open switch would read a non-zero value.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The following figure shows a circuit containing a bulb, switch and battery. Four voltmeters are connected in it to measure potential difference. Which voltmeters give non-zero readings and which ones read terminal potential difference when the switch is 1) open and 2) closed ?

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

This question is raising a lot of confusion in my mind, When the switch is open, there's no current- how can there be a potential difference? I know potential difference causes current, much as in water from a filled container goes to unfilled container- if there's no water flowing; they're at the same level and so potential differences everywhere should be zero when switch is open. When the switch is closed, there'll be potential changes across the bulb and the battery as per KVL, and they'll be equal in magnitude=terminal potential differences as per KVL. Again, I have no idea what terminal potential difference even means when the switch is open. I'd really appreciate some help. Pardon the picture quality, I only have a webcam, I tried to make the simple figure as clear as possible- thank you.

Attachments

• 1542644205675-1954503350.jpg
    1542644205675-1954503350.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 1,001
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Krushnaraj Pandya said:
This question is raising a lot of confusion in my mind, When the switch is open, there's no current- how can there be a potential difference? I know potential difference causes current, much as in water from a filled container goes to unfilled container- if there's no water flowing; they're at the same level and so potential differences everywhere should be zero when switch is open.

There are 4 voltmeters. Which meters are you talking about? All of them?

One of them is connected to the battery. Do you think that one reads zero when no current is flowing?

When the switch is closed, there'll be potential changes across the bulb and the battery as per KVL, and they'll be equal in magnitude=terminal potential differences as per KVL.

Correct.

Again, I have no idea what terminal potential difference even means when the switch is open. I'd really appreciate some help. Pardon the picture quality, I only have a webcam, I tried to make the simple figure as clear as possible- thank you.

I believe "terminal potential difference" just means the steady voltage once the meters settle down.

CWatters said:
There are 4 voltmeters. Which meters are you talking about? All of them?

One of them is connected to the battery. Do you think that one reads zero when no current is flowing?
Yes, all of them. I knew that one reads the emf but I just realized that maybe it's because the voltmeter provided a complete path for the battery- but voltmeters aren't supposed to take up any current ideally- am I wrong somewhere?

I think you missunderstand...

Regarding the battery.. No it's not because of the meter. A source like a battery or PC power supply has a potential difference between its pins even with no current flowing or nothing connected to it at all. This is called the open circuit voltage and is equal to the EMF of the battery.

Capacitors can also have a potential difference between the pins with no current flowing. Q=CV or V=Q/C where Q is the charge stored in the capacitor.

Resistors only have a potential difference between their pins when there is a current flowing eg as per Ohms law.

Sorry I deleted a reply I posted here as I think it might confuse you.

CWatters said:
Perhaps remember that an open switch has a very very high (near infinite) resistance. So what happens to the current in the circuit if you replace the switch with a resistor with a value approaching infinity?
Ohh, that's a nice way to think about it. But the switch having infinite resistance means current tends to zero which should mean the voltmeter across the open switch should read zero as well...why isn't that the case?

CWatters said:
Sorry I deleted a reply I posted here as I think it might confuse you.
Alright, but I still don't understand how there's a non zero reading across an open switch

Start at the battery which has a voltage Vbat and work around to the switch. Are there any voltage drops in the circuit? If none then the voltage at the switch is the same as the battery.

More formally you can apply KVL around the circuit.

CWatters said:
Start at the battery which has a voltage Vbat and work around to the switch. Are there any voltage drops in the circuit? If none then the voltage at the switch is the same as the battery.

More formally you can apply KVL around the circuit.
Seems reasonable, I think all my questions have been resolved, Thank you very much for your help :D

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
Ohh, that's a nice way to think about it. But the switch having infinite resistance means current tends to zero which should mean the voltmeter across the open switch should read zero as well...why isn't that the case?

That's why I deleted it.

You have to consider the rest of the circuit as well. Try replacing the switch with a variable resistor...

Set it to zero and the voltage across it will be zero.

Increase it until it equals the same resistance as the bulb and the voltage across it will be half the battery voltage. Eg the battery voltage is divided or shared between the bulb and this variable resistor.

Keep increasing it and the voltage keeps increasing until at infinity its the same as the battery voltage.

You can use ohm's law to prove this or read up on the "voltage divider circuit".

The method in #8 might be easier to understand.

CWatters said:
That's why I deleted it.

You have to consider the rest of the circuit as well. Try replacing the switch with a variable resistor...

Set it to zero and the voltage across it will be zero.

Increase it until it equals the same resistance as the bulb and the voltage across it will be half the battery voltage. Eg the battery voltage is divided or shared between the bulb and this variable resistor.

Keep increasing it and the voltage keeps increasing until at infinity its the same as the battery voltage.

You can use ohm's law to prove this or read up on the "voltage divider circuit".

The method in #8 might be easier to understand.
Oh, ok! That's a very interesting way to analyze an open switch, I understand what you meant to explain now. Thank you very much.

1. What is the purpose of a voltmeter in a circuit?

A voltmeter is used to measure the potential difference, or voltage, between two points in a circuit. It is an important tool in understanding the behavior and performance of a circuit.

2. What is the difference between a closed and an open switch in a circuit?

A closed switch allows current to flow through the circuit, while an open switch interrupts the flow of current and effectively breaks the circuit.

3. Why is it important to take voltmeter readings across a closed switch in a circuit?

Taking voltmeter readings across a closed switch allows us to measure the voltage drop across that specific component in the circuit. This can help us identify any potential issues or malfunctions in the circuit.

4. How do voltmeter readings differ when taken across an open switch versus a closed switch?

When taken across an open switch, the voltmeter reading will show no voltage as there is no current flowing through the circuit. When taken across a closed switch, the voltmeter reading will show the voltage drop across that specific component in the circuit.

5. What do voltmeter readings across a closed switch tell us about the circuit?

Voltmeter readings across a closed switch can tell us about the voltage drop across that specific component, which can help us understand the overall performance and health of the circuit. It can also help us identify any potential issues or malfunctions within the circuit.