Volume charge density across a potential difference

Oh right right, I understand. So the diameter is 2mm so the radius is 1mm. That makes sense. So now I can solve for ρ. Thanks so much for your help. In summary, to find the volume charge density in a proton beam accelerated across a potential difference, we first find the velocity by using the given kinetic energy and mass and charge of the proton. We then use the hint equation λ=I/v to find the total charge. Finally, we divide this by the potential difference to get the volume charge density. To find the electric field intensity, we can use Gauss' law or the formula for the E field from an infinite line of charge. The beam can be treated as a cylinder with
vampyric

Homework Statement

A 1.0 μA proton beam is accelerated across a potential difference of 1.0 kV. Assume the beam has uniform current density over a diameter of 2.0 mm, and zero outside.

Find: volume charge density in the beam, (HINT use λ=I/v where λ= charge/ unit length)

The radial electric field intensity inside and outside of the beam.

Homework Equations

λ=I/v, λ=Q/unit length, ρ_v=Q_total/V, KE=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I approached the first part by finding kinetic energy using know values for mass and charge then rearranging to find velocity. I then inserted velocity into the hint equation to find total charge then used volume density= total charge over potential difference. However I don't think this last approach is correct.

For the second question I'm so confused. I know E=-∇V but V is a scalar so my other approach was to show that it had zero electric field due to no charge.

Any help would be so appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
vampyric said:

Homework Statement

A 1.0 μA proton beam is accelerated across a potential difference of 1.0 kV. Assume the beam has uniform current density over a diameter of 2.0 mm, and zero outside.

Find: volume charge density in the beam, (HINT use λ=I/v where λ= charge/ unit length)

The radial electric field intensity inside and outside of the beam.

Homework Equations

λ=I/v, λ=Q/unit length, ρ_v=Q_total/V, KE=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I approached the first part by finding kinetic energy using know values for mass and charge then rearranging to find velocity. I then inserted velocity into the hint equation to find total charge then used volume density= total charge over potential difference. However I don't think this last approach is correct.

For the second question I'm so confused. I know E=-∇V but V is a scalar so my other approach was to show that it had zero electric field due to no charge.

Any help would be so appreciated! Thanks!

The volume charge density is simply the charged contained in a certain volume divided by that volume. If you want your calculation double checked, give more details about what you did.

For the second part, you need the E field produced by a uniform line of charge. One way to obtain it is by using Gauss' law. If you have not covered this, maybe you have learned the formula for the E field from an infinite line of charge?

Likes 1 person
Hi thanks for replying!

So given the values for mass and charge of a proton (m=1.67×〖10〗^(-26) kg,Q=1.6×〖10〗^(-19) C), velocity can be determined:
QV=(1.6×〖10〗^(-19) )(10×〖10〗^3 )
=1.6×〖10〗^(-15) J

Then using QV=E=KE I was able to find a velocity,
E=1/2 mv^2
v=√(2E/m)
=1.38×〖10〗^6 m/s^2

I then used the hint equation, taking Q to mean total Q,

Q_tot=(unit length)*I/v
Q_tot=1.45×〖10〗^(-15) C

Then using equation ρ_v=Q_tot/Potential
ρ_v=(1.45×〖10〗^(-15))/(1×〖10〗^3 )
= 1.45×〖10〗^(-18) C/m^3

However I don't think this last bit is right. The question does not give a a shape so I don't know how to determine its volume.

vampyric said:
Hi thanks for replying!

So given the values for mass and charge of a proton (m=1.67×〖10〗^(-26) kg,Q=1.6×〖10〗^(-19) C), velocity can be determined:
QV=(1.6×〖10〗^(-19) )(10×〖10〗^3 )
=1.6×〖10〗^(-15) J
Watch out, 1kV = ## 10^3 V ##, not ##10 \times 10^3 V##
Then using QV=E=KE I was able to find a velocity,
E=1/2 mv^2
v=√(2E/m)
=1.38×〖10〗^6 m/s^2

I then used the hint equation, taking Q to mean total Q,

Q_tot=(unit length)*I/v
Q_tot=1.45×〖10〗^(-15) C
Ok. What does "unit length" represents here? What value did you use in your calculation?

Then using equation ρ_v=Q_tot/Potential
ρ_v=(1.45×〖10〗^(-15))/(1×〖10〗^3 )
= 1.45×〖10〗^(-18) C/m^3

However I don't think this last bit is right. The question does not give a a shape so I don't know how to determine its volume.
No, the density of charge is the charge divided by the volume. Since they give a diameter, they want you to take the beam as being a cylinder.

nrqed said:
Watch out, 1kV = ## 10^3 V ##, not ##10 \times 10^3 V##

Whoa good spotting!

Ok. What does "unit length" represents here? What value did you use in your calculation?
I used the given diameter :/ ahh so wrong. I honestly have no idea what to use here as I'm so confused about its shape. Whether I'm looking at the shape of the beam or the shape of the p.d.

No, the density of charge is the charge divided by the volume. Since they give a diameter, they want you to take the beam as being a cylinder.

That makes sense considering it is a beam. I have length but I do not have a radius so should I leave the answer in terms of r? If this is the case I get
ρ=Q/∏.h.r^2
and using proton values for Q and the given diameter for h,
ρ=2.5x10^-17 C/r^2.m^3

However this approach still is not complete and doesn't use the hint equation. Is the fact that it is a beam lead you to believe it is a cylinder? Is it not possible to be looking at a p.d across a sphere?

vampyric said:
Whoa good spotting!
:approve:

I used the given diameter :/ ahh so wrong. I honestly have no idea what to use here as I'm so confused about its shape. Whether I'm looking at the shape of the beam or the shape of the p.d.
Here is the trick: the length you use here is completely up to you. What happens is that in the final calculation that length will cancel out. To see this, just call this length L and leave it in your expression for the charge Q. It makes sense that Q will depend on the length of the beam. L will cancel out at the end.
That makes sense considering it is a beam. I have length but I do not have a radius so should I leave the answer in terms of r? If this is the case I get
ρ=Q/∏.h.r^2
and using proton values for Q and the given diameter for h,
ρ=2.5x10^-17 C/r^2.m^3

However this approach still is not complete and doesn't use the hint equation. Is the fact that it is a beam lead you to believe it is a cylinder? Is it not possible to be looking at a p.d across a sphere?
Watch out: you know the diameter so you can find the radius. What you do now know is the length (which you call h in your equation, it is what I called L above). Just plug the Q you found previously (which contains L) into the equation you wrote for ## \rho##. You will see that the length L will cancel out and you will get the final answer. By the way, you *are* using the hint equation, in the equation ## \rho = Q/ V$, that V means the volume, not the potential.

Yes, we can talk about the p.d. across a sphere but that is not needed here.

Wow that is a beautiful solution, cancelling out at its finest!

Just for further understanding, why am I able to use the charge for a proton to find the velocity but then when I am finding the volume charge density I have to use Q=LI/v? Is it right to take this second Q to be the total charge of the beam or the charge of the p.d?

Thank you so much for your assistance! I have such a better understanding now :smile:

vampyric said:
Wow that is a beautiful solution, cancelling out at its finest!

Just for further understanding, why am I able to use the charge for a proton to find the velocity but then when I am finding the volume charge density I have to use Q=LI/v? Is it right to take this second Q to be the total charge of the beam or the charge of the p.d?

Thank you so much for your assistance! I have such a better understanding now :smile:

Good job! I am glad to have helped.

In the equation Q = L I /v, the charge Q represents the total charge in a section of length L so one cannot use the charge of a single proton.

To find the speed, you used the formula ## KE = Q \Delta V ##. You could use any charge there and E would be the energy of that total charge. But later you use in the kinetic energy ## KE = 1/2 m v^2 ## the mass of a single proton, right? So that means you need the KE of a single proton. This is why in ## KE = Q \Delta V ## you had to use the charge of a single proton.

Does that make sense?

Yes! Perfect sense!

Cannot thank you enough for sharing your wisdom!

vampyric said:
Yes! Perfect sense!

Cannot thank you enough for sharing your wisdom!

You are very welcome! You understood very quickly all the tricky aspects. Good job.

1. What is volume charge density?

Volume charge density refers to the amount of electric charge per unit volume of a material. It is typically denoted by the symbol ρ and is measured in units of coulombs per cubic meter (C/m3).

2. How is volume charge density related to potential difference?

Volume charge density is directly related to potential difference, or voltage, between two points. When there is a difference in potential between two points, electric charges tend to move from the higher potential to the lower potential. The amount of charge that moves is determined by the volume charge density.

3. What is the role of volume charge density in electric fields?

Volume charge density plays a crucial role in determining the strength of an electric field. A higher volume charge density results in a stronger electric field, while a lower volume charge density leads to a weaker electric field. The electric field is directly proportional to the volume charge density.

4. How is volume charge density measured?

Volume charge density can be measured using various techniques, such as the Coulomb's law experiment or the Millikan oil drop experiment. In these experiments, the volume charge density is calculated by measuring the electric force on a test charge and the distance between the test charge and the source of the electric field.

5. Can volume charge density vary across a potential difference?

Yes, volume charge density can vary across a potential difference. This is because the movement of electric charges due to the potential difference can change the distribution of charge within a material, resulting in a non-uniform volume charge density. However, the total charge within the material remains constant.