How Do Android Volume Controls Vary Across Different Devices?

In summary, the speaker is in need of screenshots or a description of the volume controls on various devices in order to create an app that will work on multiple devices. They have discovered that the volume controls on Samsung devices differ from the original Android image provided by Google. They are interested in writing their own app to gain experience in Android programming. The speaker has also conducted a test to determine if the volume controls for ringtone, notification, and system streams are controlled separately or together, and has found success on emulators and their Samsung device.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Summary:

If you own an Android phone and are interested in helping me, please navigate to Settings → Sounds. Here, you will find the volume controls (in some phones, you will have an option "Volume" under which you will find all the controls). Please give me the following: a screenshot of the volume sliders (or a description, whichever is convenient for you), your device model and Android version.

Why I need this:

The volume keys in my phone (a Samsung Galaxy On7) are malfunctioning. I decided to write an app that will have all the volume controls. I will place it in my home screen and thus be able to quickly change the volumes instead of navigating to Settings.

Now, I found that volume control in Samsung differs from original Android image provided by Google. In Samsung, there are separate sliders for Ringtone, Notification and System streams, while in the Google image, these three are clubbed together under "Ring volume":

1593127333237.png

I don't know about other devices.

When I am coding an app, it will be useless to write something that works on Samsung and not on other devices. With the information you provide, I will be able to customize my app such that it supports as many devices as possible.

N.B.: There are some apps available in PlayStore that do the same thing (or almost the same thing). I am interested in writing my own app because that way I will be able to gain some experience in Android programming.

Likes phinds
Computer science news on Phys.org
Sounds like a good project. I'd help if I could but I'm a dinosaur, still using a flip phone.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Hi
My device(first of all I'll tell you I am basque(spanish for someones, just basque for others), so I don't know if my post is going to be usefull).
Here it goes:
Device: LGK4(2017)
Android version: 6.0.1

Volumen
Tono
Notificaciones
Táctil y sistema
Multimedia

Hope it helps

• Informative
Likes Wrichik Basu
LG K8 V
Android 7.0

Tap on: Settings, Sound, Volume

The controls are horizontal sliders like you show, with these controls:
  • Ringtone
  • Notification sound
  • Touch feedback & system
  • Music, video, games & other media

• Informative
Likes Wrichik Basu
@mcastillo356 and @berkeman thank you for the information. Can you provide one more information: if you drag the ringtone volume slider to 0 (and thereby put your phone into mute or vibrate state), do the notification and system volumes also become 0? If you again increase the ringtone volume, do the notification and system volumes return to what they were before they became 0?

Wrichik Basu said:
if you drag the ringtone volume slider to 0 (and thereby put your phone into mute or vibrate state), do the notification and system volumes also become 0?
For me, Notification sound and Touch feedback & system go to zero.

Wrichik Basu said:
If you again increase the ringtone volume, do the notification and system volumes return to what they were before they became 0
Yes, they returned to their previous settings as soon as the Ringtone volume is non-zero.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Yes, they move simultaneously. Moving Tono makes Táctil y Sistema and Notificación also 0. And when I restore Tono, it starts to sound until I agree. I move the Tono from the maximum to 0, and from 0 to the maximum, and the other two move the same by themself.

Likes Wrichik Basu
I programmed a test to distinguish between the two types of volume control.

In Android, it is possible to programmatically control the ringtone, notification, system, media, voice call, and alarm streams separately. We are interested only in the first three.

The test goes somewhat like this: first, initialize all the volumes to some number, say 1. Then, take up a particular stream (say ringtone) and change its volume to some number other than 1. Now, check whether the volume of the other two streams have changed or are still at 1. If they have changed, increment a counter. Next take up the other two streams and do the same with them.

At the end, if you find that on changing the volume of one stream the other two change automatically, you may conclude that it is the Google-type configuration (as shown in the picture in the OP). Otherwise, the three streams can be controlled separately.

This test successfully works in the emulators and my Samsung device, but it has to be tested further on physical devices to conclude that it works everywhere.

Likes mcastillo356

1. How do I adjust the volume on my Android device?

To adjust the volume on your Android device, use the physical volume buttons located on the side of your device. Press the top button to increase the volume and the bottom button to decrease the volume. You can also adjust the volume by going into your device's settings and selecting the "Sound" or "Volume" option.

2. How can I change the volume for specific apps on my Android device?

To change the volume for specific apps on your Android device, go into your device's settings and select the "Apps" or "Applications" option. From there, choose the app you want to adjust the volume for and select the "App info" or "App settings" option. You should then see a "Volume" or "Sound" option where you can adjust the volume for that specific app.

3. Is there a way to set different volume levels for different types of notifications on my Android device?

Yes, you can set different volume levels for different types of notifications on your Android device. Go into your device's settings and select the "Sound" or "Notifications" option. From there, you should see options to adjust the volume for different types of notifications such as ringtones, alarms, and notifications. You can also turn off notifications for specific apps if you don't want to receive any sound notifications from them.

4. How do I mute all sounds on my Android device?

To mute all sounds on your Android device, simply press and hold the volume down button until the device vibrates or shows a mute icon on the screen. You can also go into your device's settings and select the "Sound" or "Volume" option. From there, you should see a "Mute" option that you can toggle on or off.

5. Can I adjust the volume of media separately from other sounds on my Android device?

Yes, you can adjust the volume of media separately from other sounds on your Android device. To do so, play any media (such as a video or music) and use the volume buttons on the side of your device to adjust the media volume. This will not affect the volume for other sounds on your device, such as notifications or alarms.