Volume inside a hemisphere and a cylinder

In summary: By symmetry, I would expect that the limits on phi would be 0 to π/2.Note that the radius of the cylinder is 2, so that should be your upper limit of rho. The lower limit, rho=0, is never attained. I would expect that it would be some small value close to 0, but I can't prove that. Maybe you can.In summary, using spherical coordinates, we can find the volume of the solid inside the hemisphere z= √(25-x^2-y^2) and bounded laterally by the cylinder x^2+y^2=4 by splitting it into two parts: the upper part
qq545282501

Homework Statement

use spherical coordinates to find the volume of the solid inside the hemisphere z= √(25-x^2-y^2) and bounded laterally by the cylinder x^2+y^2=4

Homework Equations

x=rcosθ =ρsinφcosθ , y=rsinθ =ρsinφsinθ
z=ρcosφ
r= ρsinφ

The Attempt at a Solution

I divided the solid into 2 parts, upper part is the small dome and below it is a cylinder with radius of 2 and height of sqrt(21)[ by setting z=sqrt(25-4) ]
Snapshot.jpg

so the volume of the cylinder = 2(r^2)h=57.59
volume of the dome= 328.98
Snapshot.jpg

adding the 2 volumes together give 396.87. which is greater than the volume of a hemisphere of radius 5.
so this is very wrong, but i don't know where is my mistake

Physics news on Phys.org
qq545282501 said:

Homework Statement

use spherical coordinates to find the volume of the solid inside the hemisphere z= √(25-x^2-y^2) and bounded laterally by the cylinder x^2+y^2=4

Homework Equations

x=rcosθ =ρsinφcosθ , y=rsinθ =ρsinφsinθ
z=ρcosφ
r= ρsinφ

The Attempt at a Solution

I divided the solid into 2 parts, upper part is the small dome and below it is a cylinder with radius of 2 and height of sqrt(21)[ by setting z=sqrt(25-4) ]

That's not what this equation of the cylinder means. The cylinder has an infinite extent in the z-direction. The axis of the cylinder is coincident with the z-axis and the cylinder has a radius of 2. The hemisphere is centered at the origin, has a radius of 5, and encloses its volume on the positive z side of the x-y plane.

You should make a sketch before diving into writing the integral.

You want to calculate the volume of the cylinder between the x-y plane and the surface of the hemisphere. The cylinder has a height of ##\sqrt{21}## only on its central axis; all other heights are shorter.

qq545282501 said:
so the volume of the cylinder = 2(r^2)h=57.59

The volume of a cylinder is ##πr^2h##, but the h varies in this case, due to the location of the surface of the hemisphere which is intersected by the cylinder.
volume of the dome= 328.98

The entire volume of the hemisphere is only ##\frac{2}{3}πr^3=261.8##, so I don't know how you calculated 329.98.

SteamKing said:
That's not what this equation of the cylinder means. The cylinder has an infinite extent in the z-direction. The axis of the cylinder is coincident with the z-axis and the cylinder has a radius of 2. The hemisphere is centered at the origin, has a radius of 5, and encloses its volume on the positive z side of the x-y plane.

You should make a sketch before diving into writing the integral.

You want to calculate the volume of the cylinder between the x-y plane and the surface of the hemisphere. The cylinder has a height of ##\sqrt{21}## only on its central axis; all other heights are shorter.
The volume of a cylinder is ##πr^2h##, but the h varies in this case, due to the location of the surface of the hemisphere which is intersected by the cylinder.The entire volume of the hemisphere is only ##\frac{2}{3}πr^3=261.8##, so I don't know how you calculated 329.98.
I don't understand, was my sketch incorrect? 1+2= the volume? am i not correct on this?
Snapshot.jpg

qq545282501 said:
I don't understand, was my sketch incorrect? 1+2= the volume? am i not correct on this?View attachment 91569
Your sketch looks correct, but something went drastically wrong in the arithmetic of the volume computation.

The volume you calculated for the cylinder, item 2, or 57.59, is correct. Your calculation of the volume of the spherical cap above the cylinder, item 1, is way off.

You still have to find a way of expressing the volume of items 1 and 2 in terms of an integral using spherical coordinates. It might be less complicated if you took advantage of symmetry here, since the cylinder and the hemisphere are concentric with one another.

Also, since you are supposed to use spherical coordinates, perhaps splitting the volume into items 1 and 2 as shown might not be the least complicated method here. I suggest drawing a radius from the center of the hemisphere to the intersection it makes with the cylinder. You would have a cone with a partly spherical cap, roughly shaped like an ice cream cone. The rest of the volume could be obtained by revolving the triangle below the ice cream cone extending to the side of the cylinder around the z-axis and then adding it to the volume of the ice cream cone.

SteamKing said:
Your sketch looks correct, but something went drastically wrong in the arithmetic of the volume computation.

The volume you calculated for the cylinder, item 2, or 57.59, is correct. Your calculation of the volume of the spherical cap above the cylinder, item 1, is way off.

You still have to find a way of expressing the volume of items 1 and 2 in terms of an integral using spherical coordinates. It might be less complicated if you took advantage of symmetry here, since the cylinder and the hemisphere are concentric with one another.

Also, since you are supposed to use spherical coordinates, perhaps splitting the volume into items 1 and 2 as shown might not be the least complicated method here. I suggest drawing a radius from the center of the hemisphere to the intersection it makes with the cylinder. You would have a cone with a partly spherical cap, roughly shaped like an ice cream cone. The rest of the volume could be obtained by revolving the triangle below the ice cream cone extending to the side of the cylinder around the z-axis and then adding it to the volume of the ice cream cone.
are my limits on the dome volume correct? if not, what should be the limits for the rho? I understand your method, but doesn't it requires 2 integrals, making it harder? i mean the ice cream cone is 1 integral and revolving the triangle below the ice cream around z-axis also requires another integral. well, i am gona give it a try using your method.
V1= volume of the ice cream cone= 12.2339
V2 is where i am having trouble with:
Snapshot.jpg

V2=
Snapshot.jpg

i know V2 is wrong, wolfram won't even compute it.

Last edited:
I found another way to solve the problem. thx

1. What is the formula for finding the volume inside a hemisphere?

The formula for finding the volume inside a hemisphere is V = (2/3)πr^3, where r is the radius of the hemisphere.

2. Can the volume inside a hemisphere be calculated using the same formula as a sphere?

No, the formula for finding the volume inside a hemisphere is different from that of a sphere. The formula for a sphere is V = (4/3)πr^3, which includes the entire volume of the sphere, while the formula for a hemisphere only includes half of the volume.

3. How does the volume inside a cylinder compare to the volume inside a hemisphere?

The volume inside a cylinder is larger than the volume inside a hemisphere with the same radius. The formula for finding the volume of a cylinder is V = πr^2h, where r is the radius and h is the height. This means that the cylinder has a larger height and a larger volume than the hemisphere.

4. Can the volume inside a hemisphere and a cylinder be added together?

No, the volume inside a hemisphere and a cylinder cannot be added together. This is because the volume inside a hemisphere is curved, while the volume inside a cylinder is straight. Therefore, they cannot be combined to form a single volume.

5. How is the volume inside a hemisphere and a cylinder related to real-life objects?

The volume inside a hemisphere and a cylinder can be seen in many real-life objects, such as bowls, glasses, and towers. Bowls and glasses are shaped like hemispheres, while towers and cans are shaped like cylinders. Knowing the volume inside these shapes can help in designing and constructing these objects.