How Does Reorienting a Cylinder Affect the Juice Level?

In summary, the conversation discusses the method for finding the liquid level in a cylindrical container filled with apple juice when the container is raised up. The method involves finding the intersection of the radius and the maximum level of the juice, using Pythagoras and trigonometric functions. The shell method and the slice method are also mentioned as possible approaches.
alingy2
A cylindrical container of height 1 m and diameter 0.5 m is partially filled with apple juice. When the container is lying on its side, the juice level at the deepest point is 37.5 cm (three eighths of a meter from the bottom of the cylinder is full). What is the liquid level after the container is raised up?

What I thought of doing is that I found the intersection of the radius with the point where the juice is at its maximum. By using Pythagoras and trig functions, I could find the angle from which the radius goes from the center to the top of the juice.

Now, I use the shell method, but instead of using 2pi, I used 4.1888.

Integral of 4.188*y*(0.25) dy
Then I added the triangular pyramid that was chopped off.

Is my method correct? Could you please tell me how you would do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
What triangular pyramid? Sounds confused.
Why not use the slice method ... sketch the cylinder end-on and divide the filled section into horizontal slices.

What is the definition of volume?

Volume is the amount of space that a substance or object occupies.

How is the volume of apple juice measured?

The volume of apple juice is typically measured in milliliters (mL) or liters (L) using a measuring cup or a graduated cylinder.

What factors can affect the volume of apple juice?

The temperature, pressure, and type of container can all affect the volume of apple juice. For example, if the apple juice is heated, it will expand and take up more volume. If the container is not completely sealed, the volume may also be affected.

How can the volume of apple juice be calculated?

The volume of apple juice can be calculated by multiplying the length, width, and height of the container if it is a regular shape. If the container is irregularly shaped, the volume can be calculated by using the displacement method, where the change in water level when the apple juice is added to a container is measured.

Can the volume of apple juice change over time?

Yes, the volume of apple juice can change over time due to evaporation or absorption of water by the apples. The volume can also change if the juice is not stored in a sealed container and is exposed to air. Additionally, if the apple juice is frozen, it will expand and take up more volume.