Volume of figure revolving around line

In summary, the task is to write an integral expression for the volume of a solid formed by revolving the first quadrant area A, bounded by the curve f(x)=e^(-tanx), the lines y=.01, y=.09, and the y-axis, around the line x=30. The approach suggested is to use either washers or shells to integrate, with shells requiring two integrals due to the change in upper boundary from a horizontal line to the curve f(x) = e-tan(x).
syeh

Homework Statement

A represents the 1st quadrant area bounded by f(x)=e^(-tanx), y=.01, y=.09, and the y-axis. Write an integral expression for the volume of the figure that results from revolving A around the line x=30.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I know that I have to integrate sideways. To do that, I tried putting the equation y=e^(-tanx) into x= form:

y=e^(-tanx)
-tanx=lny
tanx=-lny
x=invtan(-lny)

So now, I'm not sure what to to. I think you have to integrate sideways somehow and then revolve it around the verticle line x=30...?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
syeh said:
Question:
A represents the 1st quadrant area bounded by f(x)=e^(-tanx), y=.01, y=.09, and the y-axis. Write an integral expression for the volume of the figure that results from revolving A around the line x=30.

Attempt:
So, I know that I have to integrate sideways. To do that, I tried putting the equation y=e^(-tanx) into x= form:

y=e^(-tanx)
-tanx=lny
tanx=-lny
x=invtan(-lny)

So now, I'm not sure what to to. I think you have to integrate sideways somehow and then revolve it around the verticle line x=30...?

You don't have to "integrate sideways." Have you drawn a sketch of the region A, and of the solid that is formed? You can integrate using washers (horizontal disks of thickness Δy) or shells (with each of thickness Δx. If you use shells, you'll need two integrals, because the upper boundary changes from a horizontal line to the curve f(x) = e-tan(x).

Related to Volume of figure revolving around line

What is the formula for finding the volume of a figure revolving around a line?

The formula for finding the volume of a figure revolving around a line is V = ∫2πxf(x)dx, where x represents the distance from the line of revolution and f(x) represents the cross-sectional area of the figure at that distance.

How do you determine the axis of rotation when finding the volume of a figure revolving around a line?

The axis of rotation is the line around which the figure is being revolved. It can be determined by looking at the given figure and identifying the line that the figure is being rotated around.

What is the difference between revolving a figure around a vertical line and a horizontal line?

When revolving a figure around a vertical line, the cross-sectional area of the figure at a given distance from the line of revolution is a function of the distance from the line. When revolving a figure around a horizontal line, the cross-sectional area of the figure at a given distance from the line of revolution is a constant value.

What is the relationship between the shape of the cross-section and the resulting volume when revolving a figure around a line?

The shape of the cross-section directly affects the resulting volume when revolving a figure around a line. A larger cross-sectional area will result in a larger volume, while a smaller cross-sectional area will result in a smaller volume.

Can the volume of a figure revolving around a line be negative?

No, the volume of a figure revolving around a line cannot be negative. The volume is always a positive value, as it represents the amount of space enclosed by the figure.