Computer the Volume of a region bounded by 3 curves

In summary, the problem involves finding the volume of a region in the first quadrant bounded by three curves (x=2, y=1, and y=(x-4)^2) when rotated around different axis points. This region forms a 'triangle' shape between y=1 to 4 and x=2 to 3. The volume should be calculated by integrating horizontal slices rather than vertical slices.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let R be the region in the first quadrant bounded by all three of the curves x = 2, y = 1, and y = (x−4)^2.
Compute the volumes V1, V2, and V3 of the solids of revolution obtained by revolving R about the x-axis, the y-axis, and the x = 5 line, respectively.

FIRST, I am trying to conceptualize this problem. I have the 3 necessary curves graphed. A 'triangle' looking figure is formed between y=1 to 4 and x =2 to 3. Do I need to find the volume of THIS figure revolved around the various axis points OR do I need to find the volume between y=0 to 1 and x = 2 to 4.

Both areas are bounded by all 3 curves. My intuition tells me to take the volume of the 'triangle' looking figure, but I did not want to proceed until I figured this part out.

Physics news on Phys.org
**FIRST POST AND THIS POST ARE TWO SEPARATE PROBLEMS**

The initial problem (previous problem) states:

Let R be the region in the first quadrant bounded by y = 1 − x2. Compute
the volume V of the solid of revolution generated by revolving R about the x-axis by using
(a) slices
and
(b) shells.
Please verify that you obtain the same value of the volume V by method (a) as by method (b).
Use the calculation above to find the volume of the ball of radius 1 (in 3-dimensional space).

Referring to the bold statements, wouldn't the volume of the radius 1 ball be equivalent to the volume of the region (what I had calculated for that problem) since the bounds are from 0 to 1?

RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

Let R be the region in the first quadrant bounded by all three of the curves x = 2, y = 1, and y = (x−4)^2.
Compute the volumes V1, V2, and V3 of the solids of revolution obtained by revolving R about the x-axis, the y-axis, and the x = 5 line, respectively.

FIRST, I am trying to conceptualize this problem. I have the 3 necessary curves graphed. A 'triangle' looking figure is formed between y=1 to 4 and x =2 to 3. Do I need to find the volume of THIS figure revolved around the various axis points

Yes.

OR do I need to find the volume between y=0 to 1 and x = 2 to 4.

Both areas are bounded by all 3 curves. My intuition tells me to take the volume of the 'triangle' looking figure, but I did not want to proceed until I figured this part out.

Your first thought is correct. ##y=0## is not given as a boundary so your second interpretation is wrong.

Likes 1 person
RJLiberator said:
**FIRST POST AND THIS POST ARE TWO SEPARATE PROBLEMS**

You should start a new thread with a new problem.

Here's a visual to help you conceptualize:

Screen Shot 2014-09-14 at 4.36.04 PM.png

The only region that is bounded by all three curves is the one depicted above.

If you rotate this region about the x-axis, what is the volume element ##dV## you would choose to integrate?

I believe choosing vertical slices will produce two integrals. Horizontal slices appear to be better as you will require only one integral.

Likes 1 person
Zondrina said:
Here's a visual to help you conceptualize:

View attachment 73143

The only region that is bounded by all three curves is the one depicted above.

If you rotate this region about the x-axis, what is the volume element ##dV## you would choose to integrate?

I believe choosing vertical slices will produce two integrals. Horizontal slices appear to be better as you will require only one integral.

That is not the correct area. Also you should quote at least part of the post to which you are replying.

1. How do you calculate the volume of a region bounded by 3 curves?

The volume of a region bounded by 3 curves can be calculated using the triple integral method. This involves breaking the region into smaller, simpler shapes and integrating their volumes together.

2. What are the three curves that bound the region?

The three curves that bound the region can vary, but they are typically represented by three equations in terms of x, y, and z. These equations can be in the form of functions, parametric equations, or polar equations.

3. Can the region have any shape?

Yes, the region can have any shape as long as it is bounded by three curves. It can be a simple shape, such as a cube or a sphere, or a more complex shape.

4. Is there a specific order in which the curves should be considered?

Yes, it is important to determine the order in which the curves should be considered in order to set up the triple integral correctly. This can be done by looking at the intersection points between the curves and determining which curve is on top, bottom, left, right, front, and back.

5. What are some applications of calculating the volume of a region bounded by 3 curves?

Calculating the volume of a region bounded by 3 curves has various applications in engineering, physics, and mathematics. It can be used to determine the volume of a solid object, such as a building or a car, or to calculate the mass or density of a substance. It also has applications in optimization problems and in finding the center of mass of an object.

Resources for: Computer the Volume of a region bounded by 3 curves