Volume of Solid with Circular Base & Equilateral Triangles

In summary: Actually I just realized my mistake. ^.^ I wasn't getting the correct anti-derivative. Thank you for your help!
veronica1999
A solid has a circular base of radius 3. If every plane cross section perpendicular to the x-axis is an equilateral triangle, then it's volume is

I keep on getting 18 root 3. But the answer is 36 root 3.

Could I get some help?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
My approach would be to center the circular base at the origin of the $xy$-plane and then consider the volume above the first quadrant only, and then quadruple this volume given the symmetry of the object.

The cross-sections above the first quadrant are $30^{\circ}-60^{\circ}-90^{\circ}$ triangles, and letting the base be $y$, we must then have the height as $\sqrt{3}y$, where:

\(\displaystyle y=\sqrt{9-x^2}\)

And so the total volume of the object is:

\(\displaystyle V=4\cdot\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\int_0^3 9-x^2\,dx\)

I think you will find you get the desired result upon integrating.

MarkFL said:
My approach would be to center the circular base at the origin of the $xy$-plane and then consider the volume above the first quadrant only, and then quadruple this volume given the symmetry of the object.

The cross-sections above the first quadrant are $30^{\circ}-60^{\circ}-90^{\circ}$ triangles, and letting the base be $y$, we must then have the height as $\sqrt{3}y$, where:

\(\displaystyle y=\sqrt{9-x^2}\)

And so the total volume of the object is:

\(\displaystyle V=4\cdot\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\int_0^3 9-x^2\,dx\)

I think you will find you get the desired result upon integrating.

Thank you. That makes a lot of sense. The only thing I'm wondering now is why I kept getting the wrong answer.

I was trying to use a similar approach (I had the same integral but different intervals of integration). I integrated from -3 to 3 and doubled the volume instead. Why did this not work? Or did I make a careless mistake in calculating the final answer?

veronica1999 said:
Thank you. That makes a lot of sense. The only thing I'm wondering now is why I kept getting the wrong answer.

I was trying to use a similar approach (I had the same integral but different intervals of integration). I integrated from -3 to 3 and doubled the volume instead. Why did this not work? Or did I make a careless mistake in calculating the final answer?

Can you show me your work? I will try to spot where the error might be. :D

MarkFL said:
Can you show me your work? I will try to spot where the error might be. :D

Actually I just realized my mistake. ^.^ I wasn't getting the correct anti-derivative. Thank you for your help!

What is the formula for finding the volume of a solid with a circular base and equilateral triangles?

The formula for finding the volume of a solid with a circular base and equilateral triangles is V = (π * r^2 * h) + (1/3 * √3 * s^2 * h), where r is the radius of the circular base, h is the height of the solid, and s is the length of one side of the equilateral triangle.

How do I calculate the radius of the circular base?

The radius of the circular base can be found by dividing the diameter of the circle by 2. Alternatively, if you know the circumference of the circle, you can divide it by 2π to find the radius.

Can the height of the solid be negative?

No, the height of the solid cannot be negative as it represents a physical measurement and cannot have a negative value. If you encounter a negative value in your calculations, you may have made a mistake and should double check your work.

Can I use the same formula for any type of equilateral triangular solid?

No, this formula is specifically for finding the volume of a solid with a circular base and equilateral triangles. Other types of equilateral triangular solids may require different formulas. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem to determine the correct formula to use.

Do I need to convert units when using this formula?

Yes, it is important to ensure that all units are consistent when using this formula. For example, if the radius is given in inches, the height should also be given in inches. If necessary, you may need to convert the units before plugging them into the formula to ensure accuracy.