What are the y limits for finding the volume of a solid with given parameters?

In summary, we are finding the volume of a solid that lies below the surface z=x^3y and above a triangle in the xy plane with vertices (1,0), (2,1) and (4,0). The y limits for the double integral are determined by inverting the equations of the triangle's sides. The resulting volume is given by the integral of x^3y over these limits.
cbarker1
Gold Member
MHB
Find the volume of the following solid:

The solid lies below the surface z=x^3y and above the triangle in the xy plane with vertices (1,0), (2,1) and (4,0).
The region is graphed
[desmos="-10,10,-10,10"](1,0);(4,0);(2,1);[/desmos]I need to find the y limits in the double integral.

Thanks

CBarker1

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cbarker1 said:
Find the volume of the following solid:

The solid lies below the surface z=x^3y and above the triangle in the xy plane with vertices (1,0), (2,1) and (4,0).
The region is graphed below:

I need to find the y limits in the double integral.

Thanks

CBarker1

Hi CBarker1!

I think that first equation should be $y=x-1$, otherwise it doesn't contain (2,1). :eek:

And there you have both your y limits.

The volume is:
$$V=\int_0^{x-1}\int_1^2 x^3y\,dx\,dy + \int_0^{-\frac 12 x+2}\int_2^4 x^3y\,dx\,dy$$

What if I integrate with respect to x for the second integral?

Cbarker1 said:
What if I integrate with respect to x for the second integral?

Then we have to invert those 2 functions, and we get
$$V=\int_{y+1}^{-2y+4}\int_0^1 x^3y\,dy\,dx$$

I need a value answer such as 3 units cubic. So something is wrong because that will give me a general formula. So the limits inverted? Because the constant limits should be at the outside integral.

Cbarker1 said:
I need a value answer such as 3 units cubic. So something is wrong because that will give me a general formula. So the limits inverted? Because the constant limits should be at the outside integral.

Yes. It should be:
$$V=\int_0^1 \int_{y+1}^{-2y+4} x^3y\,dx\,dy$$

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a solid?

The formula for finding the volume of a solid is V = l*w*h, where l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height of the solid. This formula applies to regular solids such as cubes, rectangular prisms, and cylinders.

2. How do you find the volume of an irregularly shaped solid?

To find the volume of an irregularly shaped solid, you can use the displacement method. This involves placing the solid in a graduated cylinder filled with water, and recording the change in water level. The volume of the solid is equal to the change in water level.

3. What units are used to measure volume?

Volume is typically measured in cubic units such as cubic centimeters (cm3), cubic meters (m3), or cubic inches (in3). However, any unit of length can be cubed to represent volume, such as milliliters (mL) or liters (L).

4. How does the volume of a solid differ from its surface area?

The volume of a solid refers to the amount of space it occupies, while the surface area refers to the total area of all its exposed surfaces. The volume is measured in cubic units, while the surface area is measured in square units.

5. Can the volume of a hollow solid be calculated using the same formula?

Yes, the volume of a hollow solid can be calculated using the same formula as a regular solid. However, you must subtract the volume of the empty space inside the hollow solid from the total volume to get the correct answer.