Volume of Stone submerged in Water

In summary, the submerged stone weighs 254N and out of the water it weighs 1235N. The density of the water is 1000 kg per cubic meter. To find the volume of the stone, the weight difference of 981N should be divided by 9.81 to get the volume of the water displaced. This volume is equal to the volume of the stone, which is 0.1 cubic meters.
scbeturner
A submerged stone weighs 254N, but out of the water it weighs 1235N. The density of the water is 1000 kg per cubic meter. What is the volume of the stone?

I understand that density=mass/volume but I don't know which numbers to plug in and I can't find help anywhere!

Physics news on Phys.org
scbeturner said:
A submerged stone weighs 254N, but out of the water it weighs 1235N. The density of the water is 1000 kg per cubic meter. What is the volume of the stone?

I understand that density=mass/volume but I don't know which numbers to plug in and I can't find help anywhere!

Why does the stone weigh less when it's submerged in water? What does the weight difference represent?

Because of the buoyancy force??

i took the difference between the weights which is 981N, divided it by 98.1 and got 10, then divided it by 1000 and got .01 is that right?

scbeturner said:
Because of the buoyancy force??
Yes, that's correct.
i took the difference between the weights which is 981N, divided it by 98.1 and got 10, then divided it by 1000 and got .01 is that right?

Why 98.1? What is 98.1?

The force of gravity to convert it from Newtons to kilogram

scbeturner said:
The force of gravity to convert it from Newtons to kilogram

The acceleration due to gravity is 9.81 m/s2.

So should I not have used it as the conversion factor?

scbeturner said:
So should I not have used it as the conversion factor?

Yes, you want to use the acceleration due to gravity in the conversion. But the value you employed was 10x to large. You used 98.1 rather than 9.81.

Sorry that's what I meant
So I on the right track?

scbeturner said:
Sorry that's what I meant
So I on the right track?

Yes, you're on the right track.

Once you realized that the weight difference represents weight of the water displaced by the stone, you were on the right track to find the volume of the stone by finding the volume of that displaced water.

so how do i use the volume of the displaced water to find the volume of the stone?

scbeturner said:
so how do i use the volume of the displaced water to find the volume of the stone?

Archimedes' principle of displacement -- the volume of water displaced by a submerged object is equal to the volume of the object...

oh ok so .01 cubic meters is the answer?

scbeturner said:
oh ok so .01 cubic meters is the answer?

No, that's still off by a factor of 10. Did you fix your value of g?

with that fixed the answer comes out to .1 cubic meters correct?

scbeturner said:
with that fixed the answer comes out to .1 cubic meters correct?

That looks better :wink:

haha ok thanks!

Related to Volume of Stone submerged in Water

What is the meaning of volume of stone submerged in water?

The volume of stone submerged in water refers to the amount of space the stone takes up when it is fully immersed in water. This is often measured in cubic units such as cubic meters or cubic feet.

Why is it important to know the volume of stone submerged in water?

Knowing the volume of stone submerged in water is important for a variety of reasons. It can help determine the buoyancy of an object, which is important for designing boats and other watercraft. It can also be used to calculate the displacement of water, which is important for understanding the effects of objects on water levels.

How is the volume of stone submerged in water calculated?

The volume of stone submerged in water is calculated by first measuring the volume of the stone itself. Then, the stone is fully submerged in a container of water and the change in water level is measured. The difference between the initial and final water levels is the volume of water displaced by the stone, which is equal to the volume of the stone submerged in water.

What factors can affect the volume of stone submerged in water?

The volume of stone submerged in water can be affected by several factors, including the density and shape of the stone, the depth of the water, and the temperature and salinity of the water. Objects with a higher density will displace more water and have a larger submerged volume, while objects with a lower density will displace less water and have a smaller submerged volume.

How is the volume of stone submerged in water used in real-world applications?

The volume of stone submerged in water is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as shipbuilding, hydrodynamics, and construction. It is also important for understanding the principles of buoyancy and Archimedes' principle, which are fundamental in physics and engineering. Additionally, knowing the volume of stone submerged in water can also help with determining the weight and mass of objects, which is useful in fields such as geology and archaeology.