Voyager I and Voyager II informative video

In summary, the Voyager 1 and 2 spacecrafts have been exploring the solar system since 1977, traveling farther than any other spacecraft and providing a wealth of information about our universe. Voyager 1 reached interstellar space in 2012 while Voyager 2 is the only spacecraft to explore all four outer planets. They have taken iconic images and returned data on various topics, contributing to our understanding of the solar system and the universe. Both spacecrafts are still operational and expected to continue sending data until at least 2025.
Tom.G
Science Advisor
Gold Member
13 minutes of background and findings by the Voyager spacecraft s, at the popular level. Rather well done.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes Gwen, Lnewqban, FactChecker and 3 others
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Voyager 1 and 2 are two of the most iconic spacecraft ever launched. Launched in 1977, they have been exploring the solar system since then. They have traveled farther than any other spacecraft in history and provided us with an incredible amount of information about our universe.Voyager 1 was the first to reach interstellar space in 2012, becoming the most distant human-made object. It is now more than 20 billion kilometers from Earth, and continues to travel further away every day.Voyager 2 followed in 2018, becoming the only spacecraft to explore all four of the outer planets in our solar system. It has revealed countless details about Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune, as well as their moons.Along the way, Voyager has taken some of the most iconic images in space exploration, including the “Pale Blue Dot” photo of Earth taken by Voyager 1.The spacecrafts have also returned data on a variety of topics, like the nature of interplanetary magnetic fields, the interactions between Jupiter’s atmosphere and its moon Io, and the composition of the atmospheres of the outer planets.Voyager's discoveries have helped shape our understanding of the solar system, and have given us a better understanding of the universe beyond our planet.Finally, Voyager 1 and 2 are still going strong, with both spacecrafts continuing to send data back to Earth. They’re expected to function

What is the purpose of the Voyager I and Voyager II missions?

The Voyager I and Voyager II missions were launched in 1977 with the purpose of exploring the outer planets of our solar system, including Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune. They also carry a golden record with sounds and images representing Earth, in case they are ever discovered by extraterrestrial life.

How far have Voyager I and Voyager II traveled?

As of 2021, Voyager I has traveled over 14.2 billion miles from Earth, while Voyager II has traveled over 11.8 billion miles. They are both currently in interstellar space, beyond the influence of our Sun's magnetic field.

What instruments are on board Voyager I and Voyager II?

Voyager I and Voyager II are equipped with a variety of instruments, including cameras, spectrometers, magnetometers, and plasma detectors. These instruments allow the spacecrafts to collect data and images of the planets and their moons, as well as the space environment they are traveling through.

How long will Voyager I and Voyager II continue to function?

Both Voyager I and Voyager II have surpassed their expected lifetimes and are still functioning, over 40 years after their launch. They are powered by radioisotope thermoelectric generators, which convert heat from the decay of radioactive material into electricity. It is estimated that they will continue to function until at least 2025.

What have we learned from Voyager I and Voyager II?

The Voyager missions have provided us with a wealth of information about the outer planets, their moons, and the space environment beyond our solar system. They have discovered new moons, volcanoes on Io, and evidence of a subsurface ocean on Europa. They have also given us a better understanding of the magnetic fields and radiation in our solar system.