VRG (Vertical Replacement Gate) Mosfet

In summary: Now, The articles seem to have quite a bit of the information in them that you are asking about. You should be able to answer the questions in your first post above by reading the articles and summarizing them. Take a cut at that, and post your work here for us to check.BTW, it looks like those papers are close to 15 years old -- do you know if the technique was ever used commercially?
Metallican
Hello,

Can someone please describe in a few words the idea behind the VRG Mosfet?
Focusing on the Pros and Cons of the device.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Metallican said:
Hello,

Can someone please describe in a few words the idea behind the VRG Mosfet?
Focusing on the Pros and Cons of the device.

Thanks!

Welcome to the PF.

Can you say where you have heard about it? Can you posts some links to more info on this type of device? What do you think are the pros and cons, and why?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Can you say where you have heard about it? Can you posts some links to more info on this type of device? What do you think are the pros and cons, and why?

I attached some article about it. the first one (named "The vertical replacement...") is the main one I'm using for my presentation.
I don't really know exactly the pros and cons, I know that there was a problem with the simple vertical Mosfet so they developed this type of transistor, I don't find enough information about this type of transistors, that's why I'm asking.

Thanks!

Attachments

• The vertical replacement-gate (VRG) MOSFET.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 325
  • Hergenrother_1999.pdf
    705.8 KB · Views: 268
  • 00839720.pdf
    168 KB · Views: 237
Metallican said:
I attached some article about it. the first one (named "The vertical replacement...") is the main one I'm using for my presentation.

What kind of presentation is it? Is it for schoolwork? What year at university?

berkeman said:
What kind of presentation is it? Is it for schoolwork? What year at university?

It's a presentation about the first file that I sent, it's in a course called Nano-Electronic devices, Third year in electrical engineering.

Metallican said:
It's a presentation about the first file that I sent, it's in a course called Nano-Electronic devices, Third year in electrical engineering.

Schoolwork questions should normally be posted in the Homework Help section of the PF. I'll allow a discussion here for a bit, but only if you show a lot of effort on your part. We require students to do the bulk of the work here on the PF.

Now, The articles seem to have quite a bit of the information in them that you are asking about. You should be able to answer the questions in your first post above by reading the articles and summarizing them. Take a cut at that, and post your work here for us to check.

BTW, it looks like those papers are close to 15 years old -- do you know if the technique was ever used commercially?

Related to VRG (Vertical Replacement Gate) Mosfet

1. What is a VRG Mosfet?

A VRG Mosfet, or Vertical Replacement Gate Mosfet, is a type of metal-oxide semiconductor field-effect transistor (MOSFET) that uses a vertical gate structure instead of a traditional lateral gate structure. This allows for higher power handling and improved switching performance.

2. How does a VRG Mosfet work?

A VRG Mosfet works by controlling the flow of current between the source and drain terminals using an electric field created by the gate terminal. When a voltage is applied to the gate terminal, it creates an electric field that allows or blocks the flow of current through the channel between the source and drain terminals.

3. What are the advantages of using a VRG Mosfet?

Some advantages of using a VRG Mosfet include higher power handling, improved switching speed and efficiency, and reduced size and cost compared to traditional lateral gate MOSFETs. The vertical gate structure also allows for better control over the electric field, resulting in decreased leakage current and improved reliability.

4. What applications are VRG Mosfets commonly used in?

VRG Mosfets are commonly used in power electronics applications such as power supplies, motor control, and high-frequency switching circuits. They are also used in mobile devices, computers, and other electronic devices that require efficient power management.

5. How do VRG Mosfets differ from other types of MOSFETs?

VRG Mosfets differ from other types of MOSFETs in their vertical gate structure, which allows for improved performance and efficiency. They also typically have a higher breakdown voltage and lower on-resistance compared to lateral gate MOSFETs. However, they may be more complex to manufacture and may have higher costs.