VSEPR in SeCl2: Predict Bond Angle

• Thread starter MysticDude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bond
In summary, based on the VSEPR theory, the actual bond angle in SeCl2 is expected to be less than 109° due to the presence of lone pairs, making option D the most likely answer.
MysticDude
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Predict the actual bond angle in SeCl2 using the VSEPR theory.
a. more than 120°
b. between 109° and 120°
c. between 90° and 109°
d. less than 109°

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried to draw the Lewis Structure of the chemical and then the model of it. I also know that lone pairs made the bond angle smaller by about 2°.

I hope that this is the right structure:
[PLAIN]http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/7538/pretest4num4.png

Since the bond angle of a tetrahedral molecule is 109.5°, I would think that it lowered bond angles would be around 90° to 109°.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any help? Please and thanks.

I hate to answer when I am only partially sure. Intuition tells me you are OK.

Thanks for the help Borek :D

yes you are correct. the lone pairs reduce the tetrahedral ideal angle of 109.5o between atoms by about two or four degrees, depending on the individual atoms bonded together. So generally you are correct to assume that D is right.

1. What is the VSEPR theory and how does it apply to SeCl2?

The VSEPR (Valence Shell Electron Pair Repulsion) theory is a model used to predict the molecular geometry of molecules based on the number of valence electrons and the number of bonding and non-bonding pairs around the central atom. In the case of SeCl2, the central atom (Se) has two bonding pairs and two non-bonding pairs, resulting in a linear shape with a bond angle of 180 degrees.

2. Why is SeCl2 considered a polar molecule?

SeCl2 is considered a polar molecule because it has two different atoms (Se and Cl) bonded to the central atom, creating an uneven distribution of charge. The highly electronegative Cl atoms pull the shared electrons towards themselves, resulting in a slightly negative end (towards the Cl atoms) and a slightly positive end (towards the Se atom).

3. How do lone pairs affect the bond angle in SeCl2?

Lone pairs are non-bonding pairs of electrons that occupy space around the central atom. In SeCl2, the two lone pairs take up more space than the bonding pairs, causing the bond angle to decrease from the expected 180 degrees. The repulsion between the lone pairs and the bonding pairs pushes the two Cl atoms closer together, resulting in a bond angle of approximately 98 degrees.

4. Can the bond angle in SeCl2 be changed?

No, the bond angle in SeCl2 is determined by the number of bonding and non-bonding pairs around the central atom, which is fixed for this molecule. However, the bond angle can be influenced by the presence of other atoms or molecules that can interact with the lone pairs on the central atom.

5. How does the bond angle in SeCl2 compare to other molecules with a similar VSEPR arrangement?

In molecules with a similar VSEPR arrangement, such as H2O and CO2, the bond angle is significantly different from that of SeCl2. This is because the number of bonding and non-bonding pairs around the central atom differs, resulting in different levels of repulsion and therefore different bond angles. For example, H2O has two lone pairs and two bonding pairs, resulting in a bond angle of 104.5 degrees, while CO2 has two bonding pairs and no lone pairs, resulting in a bond angle of 180 degrees.