Compare the Bond lengths of IO2F2 and IOF3

In summary, the Chemistry Professor said that IO2F2 has a larger average bond length than IOF3 because IO2F2 has more double bonds than IOF3.
Navin
Homework Statement
Compare the average bondlengths of the following compounds

IO2F2 and IOF3
Relevant Equations
Bent rules

%S charecter inversly proportional to bond lenth
Okay So our Chemistry Professor gave us the answer as the following

IO2F2 has a larger bond length than IOF3

The reason being is once you draw the structures of the compounds IO2F2 has more number of double bonds that the later hence it shall have more p charecter than IOF3...hence it will have a larger avg bond length...but well i sort of don't undestand this logic

Well hear me out, so a single bond is larger than a double bond right, so IOF3
Has 3 single bonds, a lone pair and a double bond while IO2F2 has 2 single , 2 double bonds , and a lone pair...so due to the latger no of single bonds the avg bond length will be higher in IOF3

Yea so i think the answer is IOF3 has the larger avg bond length.(as opposed to my professor)

Could you please rectify me if I am wrong ?
Thank you :)

Attachments

• 1570132763178465907916.jpg
    1570132763178465907916.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 731
Physics news on Phys.org
IO2F2 doesn't exist. Do you mean IO2F2-?

Do you mean average length of all bonds, I-O and I-F? That doesn't seem to be a very meaningful comparison.

mjc123 said:
IO2F2 doesn't exist. Do you mean IO2F2-?

Do you mean average length of all bonds, I-O and I-F? That doesn't seem to be a very meaningful comparison.

The question was just compare average bond lengths. They didnt specify which bonds to compare

And yes, I am sorry the copound was IO2F2-
Im so sorry for that error

EDIT#1 - THe Question is to compare Average bond lengths of IO2F2- and IOF3There is an error in the Orignal post where i forgot to add the "-" superscript, sorry for the inconvinience

Likes jim mcnamara
I think you'd have too many electrons round I if you had two I=O double bonds in IO2F2-. In IOF3, replace one F by O- (with a single bond). The IO2 moiety should be O=I-O- ↔ O--I=O (not linear!)

mjc123 said:
I think you'd have too many electrons round I if you had two I=O double bonds in IO2F2-. In IOF3, replace one F by O- (with a single bond). The IO2 moiety should be O=I-O- ↔ O--I=O (not linear!)

I agree with this, but they gave the structure like that in the question.
(Im beginning to think this is a horribly framed question...Good job publishers ! Making us students life easier)

1. What is the molecular formula for IO2F2 and IOF3?

The molecular formula for IO2F2 is I2O4F2, while the molecular formula for IOF3 is IOF3.

2. How do the bond lengths of IO2F2 and IOF3 compare?

The bond lengths of IO2F2 and IOF3 can vary depending on their molecular structure and the type of bond present. However, in general, the bond lengths of IO2F2 tend to be longer than those of IOF3 due to the presence of double bonds in IO2F2.

3. What factors affect the bond lengths of IO2F2 and IOF3?

The bond lengths of IO2F2 and IOF3 are affected by various factors such as the type of bond present (single, double, or triple), the electronegativity of the atoms involved, and the molecular geometry.

4. Are there any exceptions to the trend of longer bond lengths in IO2F2 compared to IOF3?

In some cases, the bond lengths of IOF3 may be longer than those of IO2F2. This can occur when the bond between I and O in IOF3 is more polarized, resulting in a longer bond length.

5. How do the bond lengths of IO2F2 and IOF3 affect the properties of these molecules?

The bond lengths of IO2F2 and IOF3 can affect the polarity, reactivity, and stability of these molecules. Longer bond lengths can lead to weaker bonds and increased reactivity, while shorter bond lengths can result in stronger bonds and increased stability.