Should You Miter the Corner Joints of Wainscot Paneling in a Bathroom Remodel?

• Misc.
  • Thread starter erobz
  • Start date
erobz
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I'm remodeling a bathroom (my own). One of the upgrades is Wainscot thin decorative paneling that goes partially up a wall.
1694730709087.png

Question 1: surely you don't need to miter the corner joints of the panels @ 45° since they are only a 1/4 thick?

Question 2: Is it better to put the paneling against the wall, nail the molding to it and drywall, or put it between moldings, nailed to the drywall; nailing the molding above and below the paneling independently. I'm wondering if the straightness of the cut being done free hand with circular saw will be an issue in the second method, and with the first method the vertical grooves in the paneling will be behind the molding...seeming to make a place for moisture to collect.

Just looking for some tips...before I start nailing!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jack action said:

I did watch that video before. I think I missed the part about caulking the joints to make it look seamless, so that will hide flaws in the cutting. As far I can tell they do not worry about mitering the corner joints of the beadboard.

Last edited:
I didn't watch the video. If you don't miter the joints, do you overlap them?

In some places, wainscoting may be called dado.

The mitre is used to hide the change in board thickness, mounting level, or wall curvature, where two boards meet. It prevents a sharp step in the surface that would cast an uneven shadow, by replacing it with a more consistent pattern.

The two bevels of adjacent boards meet to form a 90° corner that can be painted and so, sealed.
The corner situation does not require bevels since the boards are at an angle there, so you cannot run your hand across the joint and get a splinter. Two bevels at a corner might cancel completely, leave a narrow wedge gap that must be filled with paint, or a leave a hollow, hidden in the wall corner.

Likes erobz
If you caulk the joints with the moldings, nothing is stopping you from caulking the corners as well. Then it doesn't matter how you treat the corner joints.

jack action said:
If you caulk the joints with the moldings, nothing is stopping you from caulking the corners as well. Then it doesn't matter how you treat the corner joints.
My concern was about keeping the “corner line” a single line. With a butt joint the line shifts a bit to the right or left depending on material thickness.

My advice is if you are able to cut a mitre, cut it but leave it just a few degrees closer to square. You will have a gap starting at the corner that closes up towards the surface. This way you should guarantee the panels are closed and in close contact except for a small sliver at the top. A very small and insignificant area that can be caulked. This all assumes your corner is straight and not wavy. Also, use thee 3-4-5 rule to see how square the walls are that form the corner.
-
Edit: If the panel varies enough in thickness you may have to sand the thickest part which is probably a very small part.

Likes erobz
berkeman said:
I didn't watch the video. If you don't miter the joints, do you overlap them?
Yeah,I’m thinking they are just done as a butt joint. I think I can see the shift in that picture. The juice of having a “straight line” from all perspectives in the corner is probably not worth the squeeze, which was what I was really trying to figure out based on (others) personal experience.

Last edited:
Averagesupernova said:
My advice is if you are able to cut a mitre, cut it but leave it just a few degrees closer to square. You will have a gap starting at the corner that closes up towards the surface. This way you should guarantee the panels are closed and in close contact except for a small sliver at the top. A very small and insignificant area that can be caulked. This all assumes your corner is straight and not wavy. Also, use thee 3-4-5 rule to see how square the walls are that form the corner.
-
Edit: If the panel varies enough in thickness you may have to sand the thickest part which is probably a very small part.
Which such thin material I feel like it might be challenging for a novice craftsmen(at best). I have a table saw, but I’ll have to experiment.

erobz said:
Which such thin material I feel like it might be challenging for a novice craftsmen(at best).
Of course only you can determine that and I respect your choice either way.

Likes erobz
Averagesupernova said:
Of course only you can determine that and I respect your choice either way.
Yeah, in the picture I ( believe ) I can see that the corner is slightly shifted, but I don't think that would bother me too much given the potential challenges of mitering them. I'll experiment first to guage effort, before I commit either way. But that's why I thought I better ask, to see whether a skilled craftsmen would go the extra distance. If you were to say ..."meh". I would translate that to a "no"!

Someone who is a die-hard that feels the thin part cannot be reliably mitred would perhaps butt the lower part and mitre the top. With patience it could be done with a rasp and sandpaper. Or perhaps a good belt sander.

Likes sophiecentaur and berkeman
Averagesupernova said:
With patience it could be done with a rasp and sandpaper. Or perhaps a good belt sander.
Thats a point, my mind immediately goes to power tools, some things require more finesse!

I did this several years ago.

I glued the panels to the wall (plaster).
My panels had good edges so they butt joined nicely.
I just put a small (maybe 1/2") molding over where they met in the corner:
Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 7.06.59 PM.png

I routed the back of the top molding so it would fit flat over the paneling but lie flat on the plaster wall.

Likes berkeman, Lnewqban and erobz
BillTre said:
I did this several years ago.
Holding up well?

I did consider routing the chair rail to cover the saw cut edge of the bead board, maybe the small corner trim is a good idea too.

erobz said:
Holding up well?

I did consider routing the chair rail to cover the saw cut edge of the bead board, maybe the small corner trim is a good idea too.
Yes its holding up well. No pealing and no bubbles.
I used construction glue and applied pressure to the wall using pipe clamps pushing apart against the opposite wall (instead of clamping together). I attribute its holding up well to the good glue job.

Likes erobz
You say that you're a novice - maybe I can save you from a common first mistake:

Do not assume that your walls are square, flat, or plumb. 'Perfect' cuts on your tablesaw may result in a horrible 'fit' (particularly at corners). Caulk and moulding can cover a lot, but you'll know... If you have to make 'unsquare' cuts, a circular saw with a guide (a piece of straight lumber, etc.) is a lot easier than a tablesaw.

I once had a house where one had to determine if a thing needed to be 'level' or 'parallel' to the floor, ceiling...). They (obviously) weren't the same thing. Wallpapering a house like that is a real test of a marriage - I miss that wife.

Likes gmax137, BillTre and erobz
Dullard said:
You say that you're a novice - maybe I can save you from a common first mistake:

Do not assume that your walls are square, flat, or plumb. 'Perfect' cuts on your tablesaw may result in a horrible 'fit' (particularly at corners). Caulk and moulding can cover a lot, but you'll know... If you have to make 'unsquare' cuts, a circular saw with a guide (a piece of straight lumber, etc.) is a lot easier than a tablesaw.

I once had a house where one had to determine if a thing needed to be 'level' or 'parallel' to the floor, ceiling...). They (obviously) weren't the same thing.
Thanks for the tip.
Dullard said:
Wallpapering a house like that is a real test of a marriage - I miss that wife.
:woot:

Dullard said:

I once had a house where one had to determine if a thing needed to be 'level' or 'parallel' to the floor, ceiling...). They (obviously) weren't the same thing. Wallpapering a house like that is a real test of a marriage - I miss that wife.
I had to deal with this kind of thing because the floor was uneven. Had to "shape" the bottom of the panel and the floor molding.
To me keeping the wainscoting lines vertical was the primary consideration.

Last edited:

1. What is wainscot paneling?

Wainscot paneling is a type of decorative paneling that is typically installed on the lower half of the walls in a room, with a different material or design on the upper half. It is commonly used in bathrooms to add visual interest and protect the walls from moisture.

2. What materials are commonly used for wainscot paneling in bathrooms?

The most common materials used for wainscot paneling in bathrooms are wood, PVC, and MDF. Wood paneling can add a natural and traditional look, while PVC and MDF are more affordable and resistant to moisture.

3. How high should wainscot paneling be installed in a bathroom?

The height of wainscot paneling in a bathroom can vary, but it is typically installed at a height of 36-42 inches from the floor. This allows for protection against moisture while also creating a visually appealing design element.

4. Can wainscot paneling be installed over existing tile in a bathroom?

Yes, wainscot paneling can be installed over existing tile in a bathroom. However, it is important to ensure that the walls are clean and free of any debris before installation. Additionally, the paneling may need to be cut to fit around fixtures such as sinks and toilets.

5. How do you maintain and clean wainscot paneling in a bathroom?

The best way to maintain and clean wainscot paneling in a bathroom is to regularly wipe it down with a mild soap and water solution. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners, as these can damage the paneling. It is also important to promptly clean up any spills or moisture to prevent damage to the paneling.

Back