Wankel/rotary engine efficiency

In summary: Nm of torque from 4500-6000rpm-the RX8's engine is a 1.3 litre, 2-rotor, Wankel engine with a compression ratio of 8.8:1, producing 250hp at 5500rpm and 273Nm of torque from 4000-5000rpmThe rotary is actually very inefficient (as anyone who's owned one will tell you, they are thirsty!).
williamcarter
I was just wondering how we can find out the efficiency of a rotary engine?

Obvious, it is more efficient than a gasoline/diesel engine.For example the RX8 on 1.3 L in 2 rotors get 250 hp which is quite impressive for that capacity,also it works in 4 stroke,and the power to weight ratio is good.The only disadvantage would be the pollution that occurs, due to emmisions.

From my knowledge the diesel is more efficient than a gasoline due it's bigger compression ratio , hence more torque at lower revs.This can be proven thermodinamically using the efficiency formulas that imply compression ratio.

I am curious what types of calculations would be required to find out the efficiency of such engine , because I would like to plot a Power output(HP) vs Tq(torque) diagram,on different revs.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
williamcarter said:
I was just wondering how we can find out the efficiency of a rotary engine?

The same as any other heat engine. Measure the amount of energy (or work) produced in a given amount of time and the theoretical amount of heat which can be furnished from the quantity of fuel used. The resulting efficiency can then be determined by a simple calculation.
Obvious, it is more efficient than a gasoline/diesel engine.For example the RX8 on 1.3 L in 2 rotors get 250 hp which is quite impressive for that capacity,also it works in 4 stroke,and the power to weight ratio is good.The only disadvantage would be the pollution that occurs, due to emmisions.
Maybe. Some impressive strides have been made recently with electronic engine controls which allow conventional engines to boost power output while not adversely affecting fuel economy. This suggests that an overall improvement of thermodynamic efficiency for these engines has occurred.

The tiny Ford EcoBoost 3-cylinder 1 liter engine is turbocharged and can produce as much as 138 HP in certain versions, yet the engine itself weighs less than 100 kg or so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EcoBoost_engine
From my knowledge the diesel is more efficient than a gasoline due it's bigger compression ratio , hence more torque at lower revs.This can be proven thermodinamically using the efficiency formulas that imply compression ratio.

I am curious what types of calculations would be required to find out the efficiency of such engine , because I would like to plot a Power output(HP) vs Tq(torque) diagram,on different revs.

The same type of calculations can be done to analyze a Wankel engine as to analyze a piston engine. Both types of engine use the Otto cycle, but it is a tad more difficult to calculate the compression ratio of a Wankel engine, given the complex geometry of the rotor.

I'm not sure what plotting torque and power will do for you.

In metric units:

##Power = \frac{2\pi ⋅ Torque ⋅ RPM}{60}##

Power is in watts and torque is measured in Newton-meters. RPM of course is engine speed in revolutions per minute.

Likes williamcarter
Is it really the compression ratio that is responsible for higher efficiency, or is it higher temperature of the combustion products? (Not that these are completely unrelated, but one is a cause and the other is the effect).

Borek said:
Is it really the compression ratio that is responsible for higher efficiency, or is it higher temperature of the combustion products? (Not that these are completely unrelated, but one is a cause and the other is the effect).
Well, a lot of the thermo theory for the Otto cycle uses the compression ratio to calculate the state points of the cycle. The CR is a geometric property of the actual machine and is easy to calculate/determine. You could use gas temperatures and pressures at key points in the cycle to describe it, but this data is much more difficult to come by without taking some sophisticated measurements.

williamcarter said:
For example the RX8 on 1.3 L in 2 rotors get 250 hp which is quite impressive for that capacity
Be careful when you compare the displacement of a Wankel engine to a typical 4-stroke engine. The first one represents the displacement per revolution and the second one is the displacement per cycle (which is 2 revolutions). In this case, there is a factor of 2 between the two. More info on this page (click (more) next to Displacement and Comparing Wankel and piston engines).

williamcarter said:

The rotary is actually very inefficient (as anyone who's owned one will tell you, they are thirsty!).

some comparisons to regular 4 stroke petrol cars:
A golf GTI has similar power & weight as the RX8 but has 55% better fuel economy.
A Corvette has similar economy as the RX8 but almost twice as much power.

The long story:

While comparing peak power to economy isn't a perfect proxy for efficiency I think it'd still be representative.

1. What is a Wankel/rotary engine?

A Wankel engine, also known as a rotary engine, is a type of internal combustion engine that uses a triangular rotor instead of pistons to convert fuel into energy.

2. How efficient is a Wankel/rotary engine compared to a traditional piston engine?

The efficiency of a Wankel engine is highly dependent on its application and design. In general, it is less efficient than a traditional piston engine due to its larger surface area and higher operating speeds.

3. Why is a Wankel/rotary engine less efficient than a piston engine?

One of the main reasons for the lower efficiency of a Wankel engine is its design, which results in a larger surface area for heat loss and a longer combustion process. Additionally, the use of a single combustion chamber limits the ability to optimize fuel-air mixture and air-fuel ratio.

4. Are there any advantages to using a Wankel/rotary engine?

Yes, Wankel engines have a higher power-to-weight ratio and produce less vibration compared to traditional piston engines. They also have a simpler design with fewer moving parts, making them more reliable and easier to maintain.

5. Can the efficiency of a Wankel/rotary engine be improved?

Efforts are continuously being made to improve the efficiency of Wankel engines through design modifications and advancements in materials and technology. However, it is unlikely to ever match the efficiency of a piston engine due to its fundamental design differences.