Want to do research in Computer Science and robotics

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of choosing a major for those interested in research in the fields of computer science, robotics, and emerging technologies. Suggestions are made to major in either computer science or electrical engineering, or to double major in both. However, it is mentioned that majors do not necessarily teach the specific skills needed for certain fields and that practical experience and self-learning are important in achieving one's goals. The conversation also touches on the idea of pursuing multiple majors and the importance of not wasting time on unnecessary majors. Finally, the conversation concludes with a discussion on personal interests and the need for practical experience in order to excel in a chosen field.
rocky louis
I didn't do that good in high school with math & science but not that I'm wiser I have better studying techniques for learning scientific and mathematical subjects. I want to know what I should major in in order to do research (Either in industry or a university. I really want to do research in a university) in Computer Science (which is my current major I'm going to for an associates in computer science at a community college) and robotics. Specifically learning how to build robots so I can advance robot technology. I was thinking in double majoring in Computer Science and Mechanical Engineering.

Will the mechanical engineering degree be enough to learn how to build a robot or am I better off doing electrical engineering ?

Physics news on Phys.org
hahahahaha my friend, we got same question,,, as for me,, i love robots (its applications) and computers. computers are closer to EE, so if u love robots and computers, go for EE or CS, or double major!

Or you could just major in a single field, and take these extra courses you find interesting and useful. Or, *gasp* you could even learn certain skills -outside- your university! If you already know what you want to do, a.) a single major will do just fine, b.) multiple majors is NOT extra impressive, and c.) why take all the ******** in the other major if you can just take the classes you like and leave out the rest?

...And I know, being a triple major, that this sounds awfully hypocritical.

ur rite,,, but ur a geek, u can do all ur triple major XD!

Hobin: how about mechatronics engineering? will that be good for robotics,,, i mean its the combination of EE, CS, and ME?

*scratches head* Just to get this out in the open, the reason I'm triple majoring is not to impress people or possible future employers, but to learn a lot. Yes, I'm somewhat of a geek, and I just want to know a lot about everything. Ergo, three majors.

Hobin: ok. anyways,, what you planning after graduating from ur university?

Rocky Louis: I think EE is closer to robotics than ME.

I don't know yet. I would like to think that I could start my own business, but there's a good chance that I may become a writer. Or maybe I'll go into research. Simply put, there are hundreds of paths I might take. I've always been in favor for opening as many doors as I can, and trying not to close any. Right now I'm focusing on these three majors, but we'll see what comes after that. Along the way, many people have told me I had to start excluding things and should focus on a few things to get really good at. I smile politely and nod, and then go on with whatever I'm interested in. ;)

I'm going to take an introduction to engineering course at my local community college (once I'm able to take major classes for computer science). If I double major in EE and CS would I be able to learn how to physically build a humanoid robot ?

I'm interested in doing research in AI, Cryptography, Humanoid Robotics, Gravity and general computer science.

rocky louis said:
I'm going to take an introduction to engineering course at my local community college (once I'm able to take major classes for computer science). If I double major in EE and CS would I be able to learn how to physically build a humanoid robot ?
*sighs* You're taking the wrong approach here, but I guess I can't blame you.

You learn lots of valuable things by double majoring, but it doesn't 'learn you to do X'. If you want to do X, then start doing X! It's as simple as that. College courses will teach you the necessary skills and will make you more knowledgeable about all sorts of things, but ultimately it's -you- who has to do the work you want to do. So if you want to build a humanoid robot, by all means, start building robots! But this is not a reason to double major.

The reason I'm against double or triple majoring for these reasons is because, well, it's hard. And while doing hard stuff isn't a bad thing, per se, there comes a point where you're just wasting your time. If you want to do something specific and aren't going to double major just for the sake of these majors themselves, don't double major.

rocky louis said:
I'm interested in doing research in AI, Cryptography, Humanoid Robotics, Gravity and general computer science.
Same applies here. Start reading books about the subject. Take some courses. Get some practical experience. etc. Do not rely on college majors to do the job for you.

By the way, don't you people have a BSc in Artificial Intelligence over there? It offers classes in all of these things.

(Pssh, come to the Netherlands!)

Hobin: wow men, ur soo lucky,, where are u interested in?? Id say you go for research...in emerging technologies (nanotech, AI, robotics, IT, etc). btw I am more interested in defence industry, can physicists build missiles, robots (again), exoskeleton tech, mechatronics system?

*facepalm*

Can physicists build these things? With proper training, yes. Do physicists learn how to do these things in college? With the exception of certain small kinds of robots, no, they most likely won't. Physics is a very broad degree, so 'physics' doesn't teach you how to do these specific things, but physics is something fundamental to what you want to learn. You need to be good at physics -before- you can do these things. But when it comes to specific activities (like I said before), the only way of getting good at them is doing them.

Hobin: woah dude,, looks like u got dumped by ur GF,,, okok i get u now, easy dude,,

Yeah but I've always been interested in computer science since I was a kid. I'm even doing a little bit of programming with python (learning how to program with a wikibook tutorial). I want to be at least able to learn how to build some type of electronic device / machinery and at the same time be able to make complex software.

Is electrical engineering better for this or mechanical engineering ?

rocky louis: EE period. learn about source codes.

general_ebisu said:
Hobin: woah dude,, looks like u got dumped by ur GF,,, okok i get u now, easy dude,,

*chuckles*

rocky louis said:
Is electrical engineering better for this or mechanical engineering?

I suppose you could do either. Which major do you think you'll like more? If I had to guess, based on what you just said, I'd go for electrical engineering.

If u really want to do programming, CS, making circuit boards, play w/ robotics,,,, then EE overlaps with these thing! and i agree with hobin. also EE w/ CS is very common these days I think...

Once I register for classes for fall around may of 2012, I'm going to talk to the staff about my interests and meanwhile I'm going to research Computer Science, Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering online and through books.

Related to Want to do research in Computer Science and robotics

1. What is the difference between computer science and robotics?

Computer science is a field that focuses on the theory and design of computers and computational systems. It includes topics such as programming, algorithms, and data structures. Robotics, on the other hand, is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, construction, and operation of robots. It combines computer science, mechanical engineering, and electrical engineering to create intelligent machines that can interact with their environment.

2. What skills are necessary for research in computer science and robotics?

Some essential skills for research in computer science and robotics include strong programming skills, a solid understanding of algorithms and data structures, and knowledge of various programming languages and tools. Additionally, skills in mathematics, such as linear algebra and calculus, are also important for developing and analyzing algorithms and models used in robotics.

3. What are the current research topics in computer science and robotics?

Some current research topics in computer science and robotics include machine learning, artificial intelligence, human-robot interaction, computer vision, and autonomous systems. Researchers are also exploring the use of robotics in various fields, such as healthcare, manufacturing, and transportation.

4. How can I get involved in research in computer science and robotics?

There are several ways to get involved in research in computer science and robotics. You can join a research lab or group at your university, attend conferences and workshops in the field, or participate in research internships or programs. It is also helpful to connect with professors and researchers in the field and express your interest in their work.

5. What are the benefits of conducting research in computer science and robotics?

Conducting research in computer science and robotics can have many benefits. It allows you to contribute to the advancement of technology and potentially make a significant impact in the field. It also provides an opportunity to work on challenging and exciting projects and collaborate with other researchers. Additionally, research experience can be valuable for career advancement and can open up opportunities for further education and employment in the field.