Want to do spacecraft propulsion R&D but love astrophysics

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's interest in space and space travel and their desire to contribute through research and development of propulsion systems. They are considering different undergraduate degrees, including a research BSc. in plasma physics or astrophysics, and a dual engineering/physics BSc. The individual is more interested in astrophysics, but wonders if it is necessary for a career in propulsion. The expert suggests considering the skill sets and types of problems one wants to work on, as both careers are rare.
A Lazy Shisno
I've always been fascinated with space and space travel and want to see humanity advance in that area. I've always thought the best way for me to contribute is to work in research and development for propulsion systems (which I'm interested in), however, my main passion in physics is astrophysics/cosmology.

I'm trying to choose between:
  • Doing a research BSc. (or PhB) in plasma physics.
  • Doing a dual engineering/physics BSc.
These two will obviously be much more applicable to propulsion systems. Or:
  • Doing a research BSc. in astrophysics.
Which won't be applicable to propulsion but is where my main interests in physics lie.

I really would like to have a career in propulsion, but I'm not quite as interested in plasma/ion physics (though definitely not uninterested) as astrophysics. Does it really matter at this stage?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a lot of plasmas in the universe. Most of the visible matter is a plasma.

Undergraduate degrees generally aren't (and shouldn't be) that specialized.

If you're at the stage of the game where you're finishing high school and trying to figure out what path to take for your post-secondary education, probably the biggest choice that you have is whether to enrol in a physics program or an engineering program. There are advantages and disadvantages to each route and its important to realize that both careers, i.e. a professional astrophysicist or an engineer who works on propulsion systems for spacecraft , are very rare. So it's probably more important to think in terms of the skill sets that you want to develop, the types of problems you want to work on, and the professional credentials that you'll graduate with.

Likes FactChecker
@Choppy

I see, that makes sense. I definitely prefer physics over engineering.

A Lazy Shisno said:
@Choppy

I see, that makes sense. I definitely prefer physics over engineering.
I can totally relate with ur interests, I'm in my 3rd year of integrated master's and I'm really happy for taking physics. No regrets at all :) I shall soon get started in my project on plasma thrusters. Happy times!

1. What is spacecraft propulsion R&D?

Spacecraft propulsion R&D stands for spacecraft propulsion research and development. It involves the study and development of technologies and systems that enable spacecraft to move and navigate in space.

2. How is spacecraft propulsion related to astrophysics?

Spacecraft propulsion is closely related to astrophysics because it plays a crucial role in enabling space exploration and studying distant celestial objects. Without effective propulsion systems, spacecraft would not be able to reach and maneuver in different parts of the universe.

3. What skills are needed for a career in spacecraft propulsion R&D and astrophysics?

A career in spacecraft propulsion R&D and astrophysics requires a strong background in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It also requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as a passion for space exploration and discovery.

4. What are some potential job opportunities in spacecraft propulsion R&D and astrophysics?

Some potential job opportunities in spacecraft propulsion R&D and astrophysics include research scientist, propulsion engineer, space systems engineer, astrophysicist, and aerospace engineer. These roles can be found in government agencies, private companies, and academic institutions.

5. How can I get involved in spacecraft propulsion R&D and astrophysics?

To get involved in spacecraft propulsion R&D and astrophysics, you can pursue a degree in a relevant field such as physics, engineering, or astronomy. You can also participate in internships or research opportunities to gain hands-on experience in these fields. Additionally, staying updated on advancements and networking with professionals in the industry can also help you get involved in these fields.