Why I Love Physics: A Personal Reflection on the Fascinating World of Science

In summary: Oh go ahead, confound the two. "Darling, let's get physic-al." [Apologies to Olivia Newton-John.In summary, this person loves physics because it is a field that applies math to explain the physical world. They love the exhilarating moments when unexpected results come from their work.
ProbablySid
Summary: I always feel so satisfied when I self-study physics. It takes me time to truly appreciate what I'm learning when I'm under the pressure of university exams, but eventually when I understand it, I love it too. However, I can't explain why I love it.

Hey everyone,

I appreciate this isn't necessarily a "physics question" as such, so apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I've just finished my second year of a 4-year MSci Physics programme in a university. I have been dead set on studying physics since the early days of secondary/high school. It have always found it really satisfying, and when I begin to understand what I am learning, I just find it so fascinating.

Especially when I'm self-studying, as I'm learning it at my own pace. I find that when I'm studying at university, at first I don't really understand everything immediately and it takes me time to digest what I'm learning. Come exam time, when I start revising hard and everything starts falling into place and making sense, I get the same feeling of "oh my god this is so amazing". I don't like studying for the purpose of passing exams, and I much prefer self-study, but we must make do for now.

Anyway, when people ask what I love about physics, it is really hard for me to explain. Of course there are the clichés (I find it so interesting, I love problem solving) but I feel like this is only brushing the surface of it for me. I like astronomy in particular, something about the vastness of space, and it still being so unexplored and supposedly so far out of reach makes studying it all the more satisfying.

I was wondering what makes you guys love (or hate) physics.

Many thanks

Likes vanhees71, ISamson and Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I am a mathematician but I love physics because they apply math in order to explain the world of physical reality around us and make new technologies.

Likes DeBangis21, pinball1970, vanhees71 and 1 other person
I love physics and I love my wife. They both "click" with me. That's why.

• Haha
Likes vanhees71 and Delta2
kuruman said:
I love physics and I love my wife.
Just don't confuse the two. :wink:

• Haha
Likes vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
“I just adore your non-zero curvature tensor, honey.”

As for the question, the most amazing thing for me is that it works. That I can scribble down equations, get a result, and then have an experimentalist go to the lab and measure exactly that.

• Haha
Likes vanhees71, Delta2, berkeman and 2 others
Orodruin said:
“I just adore your non-zero curvature tensor, honey.”

As for the question, the most amazing thing for me is that it works. That I can scribble down equations, get a result, and then have an experimentalist go to the lab and measure exactly that.
Even better: scribble down equations, make a prediction and then go to the lab, do the experiment and be the first in the world to observe the prediction materialize before your eyes. Priceless!

Likes vanhees71
kuruman said:
and be the first in the world to observe the prediction materialize before your eyes. Priceless!
Unfortunately that does not really happen in theoretical high-energy physics …

Likes vanhees71
kuruman said:
Even better: scribble down equations, make a prediction and then go to the lab, do the experiment and be the first in the world to observe the prediction materialize before your eyes. Priceless!
For me it was the opposite. Most exhilarating moments: analyze and model the problem; write down the equations; make predictions; go to the lab; design and run experiments ; ... get totally unexpected results.

Likes vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
Oh go ahead, confound the two. "Darling, let's get physic-al." [Apologies to Olivia Newton-John. By the way, interesting bit of trivia: Max Born was her grandfather.]

• Informative
Likes Vanadium 50, vanhees71 and Delta2

1. Why do you love physics?

I love physics because it allows me to understand and explain the world around me. It is a fundamental science that helps me make sense of the universe and its laws.

2. What makes physics fascinating?

Physics is fascinating because it deals with the fundamental principles and forces that govern the entire universe. It allows us to explore the mysteries of space, time, matter, and energy.

3. How has studying physics impacted your life?

Studying physics has greatly impacted my life by teaching me critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It has also given me a deeper appreciation for the natural world and its complexities.

4. What is your favorite topic in physics?

My favorite topic in physics is quantum mechanics. It is a mind-bending and counterintuitive field that challenges our understanding of reality and has led to many groundbreaking discoveries.

5. Why should others consider studying physics?

Studying physics can open up a world of possibilities and career opportunities. It also allows us to better understand and appreciate the world we live in. Plus, it's just plain cool!