Did Staying in Sierra Leone Limit My Career Potential?

• Thread starter medwatt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Choice
In summary, the speaker shares their personal story of being born in Sierra Leone and attending the best school in the country. Due to monetary restrictions, they were unable to attend a university abroad and instead enrolled in the University of Sierra Leone, which they found to be lacking in resources and quality education. They continued to hope for a change, but eventually received a scholarship to study in Ukraine in a field they were passionate about. However, they now struggle with the language barrier and have lost faith in education. Despite this, they have been encouraged by others and believe they can succeed if they work hard. The speaker also mentions feeling disappointed in their age compared to their peers, but is reminded that success can come at any age.
medwatt
Hello folks,
I was born in West Africa, Sierra Leone of non African parents but environmentally I'm African. I've been living there all my life. I was in the best school in the country and when I took the London A Levels at age 17 I was first in the whole country in the science stream. That was where good fortunes departed.
Most of my friends with decent grades left for America, England, Canada etc and were accepted at MIT, BROWN, KINGS, UCL etc. I could have been welcomed there as well but monetary restrictions caused be to stay back in Africa.
Earlier I really had the inspiration of being someone great in later life so the simple idea of not making it to America (which I dreamed of) was a physiological blow. I was forced to enroll at the University of Sierra Leone, FBC. Actually its the only higher education university which offers engineering in the country. The university is really poor in every standard. Lectures are 1st degree holders etc and just a decent student could ruffle them into a state of confusion. The dean is more of a bench man rather than the commissioner. Every possible bad thing existed there. I felt I was wasting my time there but had no option. I tried for scholarships but being of another race getting a government scholarship was like going to space.
So I continued on hoping something will change. I hope my point is clear. Though you might argue that one is responsible for making himself, which can be considered true, but the environment plays a huge factor. You need to be surrounded by the right people and by the right technology. Imagine I was pursuing a degree in Electrical Engineering and never really saw the inside of a lab for 3 years.
My unhappiness was ripe and felt my dream is being robbed from me. Now, don't think I was doing badly. I was always first in class, but that was not my point. I needed to b useful and competitive outside Sierra Leone if I had to have any chance to forge ahead.
Then came the bombshell which has put me in a quandary ever since. In the second semester of my last year as an undergrad of electrical engineering I got a scholarship to Ukraine. If I accepted the scholarship I had to leave immediately and leave my 3.5 year course. Maybe this was a good omen. I really had to take that decision because if I didn't I would have always regretted it for the rest of my life. The scholarship to Ukraine was an undergraduate one in Petroleum Eng which was what I wanted to do before commencing university.
I left my course and now I am in Ukraine at age 21 trying to figure out myself once more. I am currently learning the Ukrainian language because all the tuition will be in the language. Today made me 6 months here. Though I came first in the first semester of the language I cannot profess to have any control over it and I'm really worried if I will be getting afterall what I came for. Next year I'll have to study with Ukrainian students and I don't believe I will have the ability to understand fully what will be said or read difficult texts.
At this point I have lost faith in education and maybe afterall this is not where I was destined to be. I yarn for English which is so simple, clear and yet so powerful compared to a language where the grammar takes away the possibility of being powerful. I feel I need to ditch the whole concept of education and look elsewhere.
This is my story. I have been burning to share it and listen to what others think or even proffer an advice.
Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you made a wise decision. Don't give up your hopes just yet.

Sure, you're in a tough situation right now. You're starting a course without even knowing the language! But, thing is, reading a course in another language isn't that hard as you think it is. There are only a limited number of terms and words that you need to know, and once you do, I think you'll be alright.

I took some math courses in other languages as well, and it was easier than expected!

You were first in the country in science, so that can't be the problem. If you work really hard in getting the language straight, then you'll be ok!

But what about the age factor. I'm 21 now and seeing all my friends with whom I shared the same class now going for masters is disheartening. Its not jealousy. Its a feeling of disappointment though I cannot be held fully guilty for it.

Big deal, I know plenty of people who graduated far later (several engineers who graduated around 26-28) and all ended up having successful careers. I'll share my story with you:

I am in a similar (but incomparable) situation. I did most of my education in English (I attended a bilingual school in my home country(Spain) and lived in the US for many years). I even got into a big-name university in the US on a full tuition grant but for reasons that are not pertinent, I had to abandon my education and return to my country of birth.

I spent some time getting a non-university degree in order to gain access to higher education in my country (as I was not allowed to transfer and was forced to take entrance exams, which with my little exposure to the Spanish educational system, were well out of my league).

Eventually I got into a distance-learning university (I live in the Canary Islands, so my options were very limited), got through the first year and a half of a degree I didn't really want to do and then managed to transfer out to physical university which had the major I had always wanted to do (and a reputation in it). I am doing very well according to an adviser (I am 1 of 4 that's actually managing to pass every course, out of around ~20 students in my year).

4-5 years ago I would have never thought I'd stand a chance against Spain's educational system but a bit of persistence goes a long way.

Things will get better, don't let these woes break your spirit. You made a wise decision, take full advantage of your opportunity in Ukraine, something good will most certainly come out of it.

Last edited:

I cannot provide a personal opinion on whether or not this was the wisest choice for the individual. However, based on the information provided, it seems that the individual faced a difficult decision and ultimately had to make a choice based on their own personal circumstances and goals.

It is understandable that the individual may feel disappointed and frustrated with their current situation, but it is important to remember that education is not just about the environment or technology, but also about personal drive and determination. It is possible to succeed and be competitive in any field, regardless of the resources available.

Furthermore, it is never too late to pursue a different path or seek out new opportunities. The individual should not lose faith in education, as it is a valuable tool for personal and professional growth. It may also be beneficial to seek guidance and advice from mentors, peers, or professionals in the field to help navigate through this challenging time.

Ultimately, the individual should reflect on their goals and passions and make decisions that align with their values and aspirations. It may not be an easy journey, but it is important to never give up on one's dreams and to keep pushing forward.

What is the definition of "wisest choice"?

The wisest choice refers to the decision or action that is considered to be the most sensible, beneficial, and well-thought-out in a given situation.

How do you determine if a choice was the wisest option?

Determining the wisest choice involves carefully evaluating the potential consequences of each available option, considering the long-term implications, and making a decision based on rational and logical reasoning.

What factors should be considered when making a decision to ensure it is the wisest choice?

Some important factors to consider when making a decision include the potential risks and benefits, the impact on oneself and others, the alignment with personal values and goals, and the available resources and information.

What are some common mistakes people make when trying to make the wisest choice?

Some common mistakes people make when trying to make the wisest choice include rushing into a decision without considering all options, letting emotions cloud judgment, and relying too heavily on the opinions of others instead of trusting one's own judgment.

Can a choice be objectively determined as the wisest option?

No, the concept of a "wisest choice" is subjective and can vary based on individual perspectives and values. What may be the wisest choice for one person may not be the same for another. It is important to consider personal values and goals when making a decision.