Watch batteries packaged in inert gas?

In summary, the conversation discussed the experience of opening blister packs with watch batteries and the noticeable chemical odor that emanated from them. It was speculated that the odor could be from offgassing or from the gas used in the blister packs, specifically N2. Overall, it was concluded that it is common to use gas in blister packs to keep the product clean and prevent oxidation.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I just opened a couple of watch batteries that were in blister packs. They are large batteries - the size of nickels. The blister 'popped' when I opened it, certainly it was air-tight.

There was a noticeable chemical odour that emanated from it when it was opened. Did this with both batteries.

I thought perhaps it was mere offgassing from whatever products were in the battery or the packaging, but I notice that there is no residual odour on the battery or packaging. Seconds after opening, I cannot smell it on them at all.

That makes me wonder if perhaps it was whatever gas was in the blister. Is it possible that they might use some sort of gas that wouldn't degrade the battery?

Computer science news on Phys.org
If the blister was packed with some gas, it was most likely N2 (which is 79% of atmospheric air, but won't have any of the dust and other contaminants that air would). The smell you are talking about is prob just the battery chemicals, because N2 doesn't have a smell. N2 isn't an inert gas, but its very stable and is used a lot for venting in vacuum chambers for example, since it is so similar to atmospheric air.

Yep it's commonplace to use some kind of gas. Tablets/pills are usually blister packed under nitrogen or carbon dioxide. I suppose they just want to keep the product clean, and prevent it oxidising. Perhaps you could smell a bit of lubricant from the gas supply system?

Related to Watch batteries packaged in inert gas?

1. What is the purpose of packaging watch batteries in inert gas?

The purpose of packaging watch batteries in inert gas is to prevent the battery from coming into contact with oxygen, which can cause it to degrade and lose its charge over time.

2. How does inert gas help preserve watch batteries?

Inert gas, such as nitrogen or argon, creates an oxygen-free environment inside the packaging, which helps prevent the battery from oxidizing and losing its charge. This preserves the battery's lifespan and ensures it is still functional when opened.

3. Can inert gas packaging be recycled?

Yes, most watch battery packaging can be recycled, including those packaged in inert gas. However, it is always best to check with your local recycling facilities to see what materials they accept.

4. Are there any potential risks associated with inert gas packaging?

In general, there are no significant risks associated with inert gas packaging. However, if the packaging is damaged or punctured, the inert gas may leak out, and the battery may be exposed to oxygen, potentially causing it to degrade.

5. How long can watch batteries packaged in inert gas last?

Watch batteries packaged in inert gas can last for several years, depending on the type and quality of the battery. However, it is always best to check the expiration date on the packaging to ensure the battery is still usable.