Water flow in pipe with two open vertical offshoots

In summary, the conversation involved calculating the radius of a horizontal pipe with water flowing through it at a certain volume flow rate. The solution involved using Poiseuille's Law and determining the pressure difference between two locations in the pipe, which was found using the equation for static pressure as a function of depth. The final equation used for solving the problem was Q=[(pi)R^4(roh*g*H)]/8nL, where Q is the volumetric flow rate, R is the pipe radius, roh is the density of water, g is the gravitational constant, H is the difference in static pressure head, n is the viscosity of water, and L is the distance between the two vertical tubes. The calculated radius
rlc

Homework Statement

Water (η = 1.00E-3 Pa·s) is flowing through a horizontal pipe with a volume flow rate of 0.0125 m3/s. As the drawing below shows, there are two vertical tubes that project from the pipe. Assume that H = 0.0458 m and L = 0.738 m.
upload_2014-10-29_17-18-11.png

Calculate the radius of the horizontal pipe.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've seen this problem posted on this website before, but the solution there didn't work for me.
I know you should use Poiseuille's Law, but what do you do about the pressures?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to determine the pressure difference between the two locations in the pipe? If so, what is it?

Chet

No, but I know it is part of Poiseuille's Law.

rlc said:
No, but I know it is part of Poiseuille's Law.
You don't need to use Poiseuille's law to find the pressure difference between the two locations in the pipe. You already have enough information to determine it. In those two vertical offshoots, is the fluid static or is it flowing?

Chet

It would be static? Since it is open and the water wouldn't really go anywhere?

Would the pressure difference just be H?

rlc said:
Would the pressure difference just be H?
H is what we would call the difference in static pressure head. Do you remember the equation for static pressure as a function of depth? (It involves density and g).

Chet

roh*g*h

rlc said:
roh*g*h
Yes. That's right. Then what is the pressure difference between the two locations in the pipe in Pa?

Chet

I'm sorry, but I don't know

Wait, would it be density times velocity squared?

rlc said:
I'm sorry, but I don't know
ρ=1000 kg/m3 (for water)
g = 9.8 m/s2
Δh= H = 0.0458 m
ΔP=ρgΔh (in units of Pa = kg/ms^2)

What do you get for ΔP?

(1000)(9.8)(0.0458)=448.84 Pa

Ah! That worked! Thank you so much!

rlc said:
(1000)(9.8)(0.0458)=448.84 Pa
Oops. You already got it.Right. That's the pressure difference between the two locations.

Now, can you write down the Poiseulle equation for the pressure difference between the two locations in terms of the volumetric flow rate, the viscosity, the distance L, and the tube diameter D?

Chet

Q=[(pi)R^4(roh*g*H)]/8nL

0.0125=(pi*R^4*448.84)/(8*1.00E-3*0.738)

R^4=5.23377E-8
R=0.015125 m
R=1.51 cm (which LONCAPA says is the correct answer)

Thank you so much for responding to me!

1. What is the purpose of studying water flow in pipes with two open vertical offshoots?

The purpose of studying water flow in pipes with two open vertical offshoots is to understand how the presence of offshoots affects the flow of water in the pipe. This is important in various engineering and plumbing applications, as it can impact the performance and efficiency of the system.

2. How does the presence of offshoots affect water flow in a pipe?

The presence of offshoots can cause changes in the velocity and pressure of the water flow in the pipe. This is because the offshoots create additional pathways for the water to flow, which can alter the overall flow dynamics and distribution of pressure within the pipe.

3. What factors can affect water flow in pipes with two open vertical offshoots?

Some factors that can affect water flow in pipes with two open vertical offshoots include the diameter and length of the offshoots, the angle at which they are connected to the main pipe, and the flow rate and viscosity of the water. Additionally, the roughness of the pipe walls and any bends or obstructions in the pipe can also impact the flow.

4. How can the flow of water in pipes with two open vertical offshoots be calculated?

The flow of water in pipes with two open vertical offshoots can be calculated using various equations and formulas, such as the Bernoulli equation, the continuity equation, and the Darcy-Weisbach equation. These equations take into account the various factors that can affect the flow, and can provide a quantitative understanding of the flow dynamics in the pipe.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding water flow in pipes with two open vertical offshoots?

Understanding water flow in pipes with two open vertical offshoots can be applied in various engineering and plumbing applications, such as designing irrigation systems, drainage systems, and water distribution networks. It can also be used in the design and optimization of industrial processes that involve the transportation of fluids through pipes, such as in the oil and gas industry or in chemical processing plants.