Water on Enceladus - Cassini's Revealing Findings

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the tiny satellite Enceladus has become a topic of debate due to close-up pictures taken by the US probe Cassini, revealing plumes of water vapor shooting into space from its surface. These plumes have puzzled experts as they do not align with conventional theories and suggest high-energy activity on the moon. While some videos have captured these plumes, they do not provide conclusive evidence and more research is needed. However, a BBC documentary has confirmed the existence of the ice geysers on Enceladus.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080206/sc_afp/spacesaturnmoon

A tiny satellite measuring just 504 kilometres (315 miles) across, Enceladus has become one of the most fiercely debated objects in the Solar System, thanks to close-up pictures taken by the US probe Cassini.

Enceladus has a brilliant white shell of ice that is untouched except for some strange-looking grooves and impacts from space rocks.

Cassini revealed plumes of water vapour that gush from surface stripes near its south pole, shooting crystal jets upwards for hundreds of kilometres (miles) into space.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
wolram said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080206/sc_afp/spacesaturnmoon

A tiny satellite measuring just 504 kilometres (315 miles) across, Enceladus has become one of the most fiercely debated objects in the Solar System, thanks to close-up pictures taken by the US probe Cassini.

Enceladus has a brilliant white shell of ice that is untouched except for some strange-looking grooves and impacts from space rocks.

Cassini revealed plumes of water vapour that gush from surface stripes near its south pole, shooting crystal jets upwards for hundreds of kilometres (miles) into space.
I saw a programme about this recently on BBC4 'The Sky At Night' with Sir Patrick Moore. The ice geysers simply shouldn't be happening, according to conventional theory. It's really got the experts in a muddle http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00j0g7s/The_Sky_at_Night_The_Fountains_of_Enceladus/?src=a_syn31

My observation:

Per this video from www.space.com with Cassini Scientist, Torrence Johnson speaking; the so-called plumes they are referring to do not appear to track per the rotation of the backlit Enceladus rather, they appear to track per the Sun. Per this lone clip, I wouldn't assume that which they are presently suggesting. I'd require more evidence than this (not to imply they are incorrect however).

http://www.space.com/common/media/video/player.php?videoRef=Enceladus_web

Gnosis said:
My observation:

Per this video from www.space.com with Cassini Scientist, Torrence Johnson speaking; the so-called plumes they are referring to do not appear to track per the rotation of the backlit Enceladus rather, they appear to track per the Sun. Per this lone clip, I wouldn't assume that which they are presently suggesting. I'd require more evidence than this (not to imply they are incorrect however).

http://www.space.com/common/media/video/player.php?videoRef=Enceladus_web
This should not detract from the high energy of the plumes originating from Enceladus. The standard model doesn't account for the high temperatures needed for this activity. The surface is also relatively free of cratering, suggesting that high energy activity on a global scale has led to recent resurfacing. This is especially clear when compared to Saturn's rocky moon's of Mimas and Iapetus which show extensive cratering from the time they were formed http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4b/Moons_of_Saturn_2007.jpg

Mammo said:
This should not detract from the high energy of the plumes originating from Enceladus. The standard model doesn't account for the high temperatures needed for this activity. The surface is also relatively free of cratering, suggesting that high energy activity on a global scale has led to recent resurfacing. This is especially clear when compared to Saturn's rocky moon's of Mimas and Iapetus which show extensive cratering from the time they were formed http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4b/Moons_of_Saturn_2007.jpg

These may very well be “plumes” from Enceladus however, this particular video provides nothing in the way of conclusive evidence concerning this matter.

In this video, the so-called “plumes” aren’t observed “rising vertically and pluming” (they are essentially “static” in appearance) nor does the video capture them repetitively in the act of “rising and pluming” per the same locations on Enceladus as it rotates, which would essentially confirm the existence of such a process. For the moment, it is merely an anomaly to be observed and studied.

Yes, I find this anomaly intriguing, but I’m not one of those individuals who leap to premature conclusions from a video that provides nothing in the manner of conclusive evidence.

Gnosis said:
These may very well be “plumes” from Enceladus however, this particular video provides nothing in the way of conclusive evidence concerning this matter.

In this video, the so-called “plumes” aren’t observed “rising vertically and pluming” (they are essentially “static” in appearance) nor does the video capture them repetitively in the act of “rising and pluming” per the same locations on Enceladus as it rotates, which would essentially confirm the existence of such a process. For the moment, it is merely an anomaly to be observed and studied.

Yes, I find this anomaly intriguing, but I’m not one of those individuals who leap to premature conclusions from a video that provides nothing in the manner of conclusive evidence.
I'm guessing that the didn't actually watch the BBC TV documentary then? The experts there were in no way disputing the reality of the 'ice geysers'.

Related to Water on Enceladus - Cassini's Revealing Findings

1. Is there really water on Enceladus?

Yes, recent findings from the Cassini spacecraft have confirmed the presence of liquid water on Enceladus, one of Saturn's moons. The water is located beneath the icy surface and is in the form of a vast global ocean.

2. How did Cassini discover the water on Enceladus?

Cassini used multiple instruments, including its magnetometer and infrared spectrometer, to gather data on Enceladus. These instruments detected the presence of water vapor and ice particles erupting from the moon's surface, as well as evidence of a global ocean beneath the icy crust.

3. Is the water on Enceladus suitable for life?

While the presence of liquid water is a key ingredient for life as we know it, scientists are still unsure if the water on Enceladus is suitable for life. The water is believed to be salty and may contain organic compounds, but further research is needed to determine if any form of life exists on this moon.

4. How does the discovery of water on Enceladus impact our understanding of the universe?

The presence of liquid water on Enceladus adds to the growing evidence that water is abundant in our solar system and beyond. This finding also increases the likelihood of finding other habitable worlds, and expands our understanding of the potential for life in the universe.

5. What are the implications of the water on Enceladus for future space exploration?

The discovery of water on Enceladus has sparked interest in exploring this moon further, as well as other icy worlds in our solar system. Scientists are already planning future missions to Enceladus to study its potential for hosting life, and this finding may also influence the search for extraterrestrial life on other planets and moons.