Water vortex to eliminate rust in well water

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a water vortex to separate rust from well water. The participant suggests modeling the particles as spheres and calculating the velocity needed for equilibrium to ensure the particles settle out. They also mention the option of using a filter and suggest consulting a book for calculations. The conversation ends with the participant expressing interest in checking into the calculations.
coolul007
Gold Member
I am trying to find a way to eliminate rust in well water. I was wondering if a water vortex could separate the rust from the water. I have a 1" diameter flow at 35 to 50 PSI. Can I place the inlet at the bottom of a larger pipe(I do not what size would be optimum) to create a vortex and have the outlet in the middle at the top? Is this plausible? The rust is not dissolved, it is visible.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just thinking out loud here... I would think it could work but you want to do an analysis to see. For the rust particles to settle out, you need to find what velocity they 'fall' through the water at and create a tank that allows water velocity to be below that velocity so the particles can drop faster than they are swept away with the flow.

For example, you might model the particles as spheres. Once you measure the size (cross sectional area exposed to flow) and determine the volume and weight, you can calculate the downward force on the particle in water (archemedies principal), assume a drag coefficient, and then calculate the velocity needed for equilibrium. That's the velocity you need to keep the upward moving water below. Needless to say, you should add a 'safety factor' onto that velocity, perhaps cut it in half to ensure you have a reasonably good chance at getting most of the particles out.

Or just stick a filter in there.

I stuck a 20 micron filter in the line it seemed to have little effect. That is why I am looking for a no/low maintenance solution.

If the particles are that small, and without doing the math, I suspect trying to get them to settle out would require a tank the size of a swimming pool.

Q_Goest said:
If the particles are that small, and without doing the math, I suspect trying to get them to settle out would require a tank the size of a swimming pool.

I'm beginning to suspect that the flow has to be at a standstill. I'm also considering some very powerful magnets.

Q_Goest said:
Just thinking out loud here... I would think it could work but you want to do an analysis to see. For the rust particles to settle out, you need to find what velocity they 'fall' through the water at and create a tank that allows water velocity to be below that velocity so the particles can drop faster than they are swept away with the flow.

For example, you might model the particles as spheres. Once you measure the size (cross sectional area exposed to flow) and determine the volume and weight, you can calculate the downward force on the particle in water (archemedies principal), assume a drag coefficient, and then calculate the velocity needed for equilibrium. That's the velocity you need to keep the upward moving water below. Needless to say, you should add a 'safety factor' onto that velocity, perhaps cut it in half to ensure you have a reasonably good chance at getting most of the particles out.

Or just stick a filter in there.

At this book you can see how to do those calculations - look for "just suspended speed" and "settling velocity" (P.550-564)

GT1 said:
At this book you can see how to do those calculations - look for "just suspended speed" and "settling velocity" (P.550-564)

Thank you I will check into it.

1. How does a water vortex eliminate rust in well water?

A water vortex works by creating a swirling motion in the water, which helps to break up and remove any sediment or rust particles that may be present in the water. As the water spins, the heavier particles are forced to the outside of the vortex, where they can be easily removed.

2. Is a water vortex an effective method for removing rust from well water?

Yes, a water vortex can be a very effective method for removing rust from well water. The swirling motion helps to break up and remove rust particles, leaving you with cleaner and clearer water. However, the effectiveness of this method may vary depending on the severity of the rust in the water.

3. How long does it take for a water vortex to eliminate rust in well water?

The amount of time it takes for a water vortex to eliminate rust in well water can vary depending on the amount of rust present and the strength of the vortex. In general, it may take several minutes for the vortex to fully remove the rust particles from the water.

4. Do I need any special equipment to create a water vortex for eliminating rust in well water?

To create a water vortex, you will need a device that can agitate the water and create a swirling motion. This can be achieved with a simple pump or by using a specialized vortex generator. Additionally, you may need a filtration system to remove the rust particles from the water after the vortex has done its job.

5. Can a water vortex eliminate all types of rust in well water?

A water vortex can be effective in removing most types of rust from well water. However, if the rust is caused by a specific mineral or chemical, the vortex may not be as effective. In these cases, it may be necessary to use other methods, such as a specific type of filtration or chemical treatment, to fully remove the rust.