Waterproof Watch with repeatable countdown timer?

In summary, the lifeguard is looking for a waterproof watch that will let her countdown repeatedly and launch the guests at the right time.
k_squared
Part of my job as a lifeguard is dispatching guests at water slides at a busy amusement park.

Believe it or not, these people paid quite a bit to get in, and I actually care about them, so I would like to fire them off at the maximum rate possible. Sadly, I am responsible for timing this - I will create a real possibility for injury if I launch them too close together...

Does anyone know of a waterproof watch that will let me countdown repeatedly at the touch of a button? I know the safe interval designed into the ride, but I'd like to be able to launch them exactly when safe.

If at all possible, it won't beep too much, or it'll look like I'm just messing with my watch!

Thanks for any help here...

Physics news on Phys.org
..."dispatch guests"...:eek:

Have you asked your employer for suggestions? Seems like this is more their problem than yours.

Would a lap swimming clock help?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSELYMANMlWDgu2bDeFtwsyjaefNEcDDf3SbxP3ELTcJyDuwGDKXg.jpg

k_squared said:
... and I actually care about them, so I would like to fire them off at the maximum rate possible. ... a real possibility for injury if I launch them too close together...

... I know the safe interval designed into the ride, but I'd like to be able to launch them exactly when safe.

Safest interval is when the previous rider has exited the slide, and the exit area is clear. Anything other, and there is a possibility of injury due to one person colliding with another.

Most digital watches I've ever had have repeatable (automatic or manual reset/start) timers. Not sure about adjusting the alarm though.

k_squared said:
Believe it or not, these people paid quite a bit to get in, and I actually care about them, so I would like to fire them off at the maximum rate possible. Sadly, I am responsible for timing this - I will create a real possibility for injury if I launch them too close together...

http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/000000/30000/0000/700/30791/30791.strip.gif
http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/000000/20000/8000/700/28774/28774.strip.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What makes a watch waterproof?

A watch is considered waterproof if it can withstand being submerged in water without water entering the interior of the watch. This is achieved by using special seals and gaskets to prevent water from entering the watch.

2. How deep can a waterproof watch be submerged?

The depth that a waterproof watch can be submerged to varies depending on the watch. Some watches can be submerged up to 50 meters, while others can withstand depths of up to 200 meters. It is important to check the water resistance rating of the watch before submerging it.

3. Is a waterproof watch also resistant to water pressure?

Waterproof watches are designed to withstand water pressure to a certain depth. However, it is important to note that not all waterproof watches are resistant to high water pressure, such as when diving. It is important to check the water resistance rating and consult the manufacturer for specific details.

4. What is a repeatable countdown timer on a waterproof watch?

A repeatable countdown timer on a waterproof watch is a function that allows the user to set a specific amount of time and have it automatically repeat once the timer reaches zero. This is useful for activities that require a set amount of time to be repeated, such as interval training or timing laps while swimming.

5. Can I wear a waterproof watch while swimming or showering?

Yes, a waterproof watch can be worn while swimming or showering. However, it is important to note the water resistance rating of the watch and ensure that it is suitable for the depth and pressure of the water. It is also recommended to rinse the watch with fresh water after being submerged in salt water to prevent corrosion.