Wave Confluence: Ship & Radiotowers (Check Needed)

• Thread starter Const@ntine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ship Wave
In summary: I figured as much, but I wasn't sure if it was hiding something else. Just to recap though: Because they arrive at the same time and I know that ΑΓ = ΓΒ, that means they're in phase. Otherwise, I'd get a different result. And thus when I go to Δ and find that Δr = n*λ/2, I don't have to factor any phase differences. Got it.In summary, the signal at point D (Δ) of the ship receives its First Minimum when rD = n*λ. The wavelength of the signal is λ.
Const@ntine

Homework Statement

A ship floats across the coat, at a distance d = 600 m from it. The radio of the ship receives simultaneously signals of the same frequency from RadioTowers A & B, which are L = 800 m apart. At Point G (Γ), the two waves confluent in a strengthening way, where G's (Γ) distances from A & B are the same (rA = rB). At point D (Δ), which is right across B, the signal reaches its First Minimum. Find the wavelength λ.

ka6KgpQ9eAAHkmPAk5i5PsIbNEOsu4uIDlaX7SkcWDOEH2IbHavkMSaHRSdLijzR911Kol8-c-T8qPg&owa=outlook.live.jpg

Homework Equations

Δr = n*λ , n = 0,1,2,3... (Strengthening-A'=2)
Δr = n*(λ/2), n = 1,3,5... (Weakening-A'=0)

The Attempt at a Solution

When the book says "First Minimum arrives at..." in every case it means Δr = n*λ/2 with n = 1. So i went ahead and found rA & rB for Δ through the forming triangles, put them in the above formula and got λ = 140 m. Which is wrong. I kinda figured that since I didn't use the stuff for Γ, but anyway. I turned back and saw that the answer was λ = 800 m. Which is a pretty big number.

So I thoughout of it this way: The signals arrive at Γ, the composite wave starts the way a y = Asin(...) wave would (no Initial Phase so it goes from "zero" to +A and then back down) and at Δ it's where the composite wave reaches the "horizontal axis" again, ie it covers λ/2 in length. Through that and the info about Γ (used the rs to find ΑΓ = ΓΒ = 400 m) I did λ/2 = 400 m <=> λ = 800 m

Now the result is correct, but I have no idea if the whole thing has any logic behind it. I was just trying stuff until I got the correct result. I mean, in every exercise thus far "First Minimum" just means Δr = λ/2.

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Darthkostis said:
found rA & rB for Δ through the forming triangles, put them in the above formula, Δr = n*λ/2
It's not clear to me what you did, but it does not sound right. Please post the details.

haruspex said:
It's not clear to me what you did, but it does not sound right. Please post the details.
Yeah, I checked it again this morning and figured out my mistake. I messed up on the Pythagorean Theorem. But to break this down:

At Δ we have the "First Minimum", so the signals that arrive from A & B there are out of phase, and result in the Amplitude A of the combined wave being 0. Thus, Δr = n*λ/2, in regards to Δ. But it's the 1st Minimum, so n = 1. Now I need to find rA & rB, or ΑΔ & ΒΔ. ΒΔ is d = 600 m. For ΑΔ we construct the triangle with ΑΔ as the hypotenouse, as seen here:

Gqgfedi.jpg

So, ΑΔ = sqrt(L2 + d2) = sqrt(8002 m2 + 6002 m2) = 1000 m

Now we have Δr = |rA - rB| = | 1000 m - 600 m | = 400 m = 1*λ/2 <=> λ = 800 m

And that's it. I messed up the Pythagorean at first and then everything spiralled from there. I still have a question though: Why tell me that in Γ the two waves confluent in a strengthening way/A' = 2A? I didn't use it anywhere. Couldn't it have just given me the info about Δ?

Darthkostis said:
Why tell me that in Γ the two waves confluent in a strengthening way
Because that tells you that the transmissions are in phase. E.g. if there were 180 degrees out of phase then it would have been destructive interference at Γ and reinforcing at Δ.

haruspex said:
Because that tells you that the transmissions are in phase. E.g. if there were 180 degrees out of phase then it would have been destructive interference at Γ and reinforcing at Δ.
I figured as much, but I wasn't sure if it was hiding something else. Just to recap though: Because they arrive at the same time and I know that ΑΓ = ΓΒ, that means they're in phase. Otherwise, I'd get a different result. And thus when I go to Δ and find that Δr = n*λ/2, I don't have to factor any phase differences. Got it.

I have a question though: Doesn't the Δr = ...λ/... give me my answer already? If for example I was given the distance of Δ from Α & Β, plus λ. But I didn't know the confluence there. Then say I just put Δr & λ in both formulas, and for argument's sake, let's say that there was a reinforced interference at Δ (so Δr = n*λ). Would I be able to deduce whether the waves are out of phase or not?

There is an exercise example in my book, where there are there are two speakers. A receiver stands in such a way that the 1st Minimum arrives there, so Δr = λ/2. Then, in the "what if" section, it says that if the waves had a phase difference of λ/2, and due to them being placed in such a way that Δr, in regards to the receiver's position, equals λ/2. So that means that at the receiver the two waves have areinforced interference.

I get that on a theoretical level, but how would that work on a problem? Which formula would I use? Δr = nλ/2 or Δr = nλ? Technically it's the first one, but according to it there should be a destructive interference, which isn't true. Are there any other formulas to use in circumstances where the waves are not in phase? I seem to remember something like that from High School, but my book doesn't have anything. I get the theory part, but don't know how to "work" this in problems.

Darthkostis said:
A receiver stands in such a way that the 1st Minimum arrives there, so Δr = λ/2.
Only if they were emitted in phase.
In general, 2πΔr/λ tells you the phase shift. This has to be added to whatever the initial phase difference was.

haruspex said:
Only if they were emitted in phase.
In general, 2πΔr/λ tells you the phase shift. This has to be added to whatever the initial phase difference was.
Ah yeah, now I'm starting to remember. Any link to where I can read about that? Wikipedia is pretty unreliable. It seems my book has only the "in phase" occurances, and I'm afraid I'm not learning all that properly.

1. What is Wave Confluence?

Wave Confluence is a term used to describe the phenomenon of waves from different sources meeting and combining in a certain area. In this context, it refers to the interaction between ship waves and radio waves near radiotowers.

2. Why is it important to check for Wave Confluence near radiotowers?

Wave Confluence near radiotowers can cause interference and disrupt the transmission of radio signals. This can affect communication and navigation systems, making it crucial to check for potential confluence in order to prevent any disruptions.

3. How do ship waves and radio waves interact near radiotowers?

When a ship is passing by a radiotower, its waves can combine with the radio waves emitted from the tower. This can cause constructive or destructive interference, resulting in a change in the amplitude and phase of the radio waves.

4. What factors can affect the level of Wave Confluence near radiotowers?

The level of Wave Confluence can be affected by the height and location of the radiotower, the size and speed of the passing ship, and the frequency of the radio waves. Other factors, such as wind speed and direction, can also play a role.

5. How is Wave Confluence near radiotowers measured and monitored?

Various methods, such as computer simulations and field tests, can be used to measure and monitor Wave Confluence near radiotowers. These methods can provide information on the potential interference and help in designing and implementing mitigation strategies.