Wave vector in curved space-time.

In summary: The wave vector k^{\mu} is only defined in flat space-time, and its form changes in curved space-time. Landau mentions this in section 87, where he defines the geodesic equations for light in curved space-time. He also mentions that the wave vector is what we want to find from these equations.
MManuel Abad
Hi there, physics lovers!

Sorry I'm bothering you again. The following may sound as stupid questions, but this is a very hard topic for me, so don't judge me that bad! :)

You see, when we're talking about light in curved spacetime, the geodesic equations (or equations of motion) use an affine parameter [tex]\lambda[/tex] to parametrize its world line (actually I know this thanks to this forum).

Indeed, searching in Section 87 "Motion of a particle in a gravitational field" of the 2nd Volume "The Classical Theory of Fields", from the Course of Theoretical Physics by Landau and Lifgarbagez, I find that these geodesic equations (which are for light, and are for null geodesics, defined as those in which ds=0) look like:

[tex]\frac{d^{2}x^{\mu}}{d\lambda^{2}}+\Gamma^{\mu}_{\nu\sigma}\frac{dx^{\nu}}{d\lambda}\frac{dx^{\sigma}}{d\lambda}=0[/tex]

with [tex]\Gamma^{\mu}_{\nu\sigma}[/tex] being the Christoffel symbols. I also saw that, because the wave vector of light is always tangent to its path, we can write:

[tex]k^{\mu}=\frac{dx^{\mu}}{d\lambda}[/tex]

and then, the geodesic equations look like:

[tex]\frac{dk^{\mu}}{d\lambda}+\Gamma^{\mu}_{\nu\sigma}k^{\nu}k^{\sigma}=0[/tex]

In section 48, Landau defines, talking IN MINKOWSKI (FLAT) SPACE-TIME:

[tex]k^{\mu}=\left\{\frac{\omega}{c},\frac{\omega}{c}\textbf{n}\right\}[/tex]

where n is a unit vector along the direction of propagation of the wave. Then it is obvious that:

[tex]k^{\mu}k_{\mu}=0[/tex]

Then, returning to section 87 and the geodesic equations, Landau says that this very same equation holds, even in a gravitational field (CURVED space-time).

QUESTION 1:

Is this 'cuz [tex]k^{\mu}k_{\mu}[/tex] is a four-scalar and then it's invariant in changes of coordinates, even if they're for non-flat space-time? Or why?

QUESTION 2:

[tex]k^{\mu}=\left\{\frac{\omega}{c},\frac{\omega}{c}\textbf{n}\right\}[/tex] is the form of the wave vector ONLY IN FLAT SPACE-TIME, ISN'T IT? I mean, its form changes in curved space time, actually, the wave vector is what we want to find from the equations:

[tex]\frac{dk^{\mu}}{d\lambda}+\Gamma^{\mu}_{\nu\sigma}k^{\nu}k^{\sigma}=0[/tex]

, isn't it?

Well, there it is. I hope you help me. I thank you very much your attention.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which equation does Landau say holds? The contraction of 2 vectors is a scalar, and is invariant. If it is 0 in some coordinate system, then it's 0 in every other coordinate system.

1. What is the wave vector in curved space-time?

The wave vector in curved space-time is a mathematical quantity that describes the direction and magnitude of a wave's propagation in a space-time that is curved by the presence of massive objects. It is an extension of the concept of wave vector in flat space-time.

2. How is the wave vector affected by the curvature of space-time?

The wave vector is affected by the curvature of space-time in two ways. First, the direction of the wave vector is influenced by the curvature, causing the wave to bend as it travels through space-time. Second, the magnitude of the wave vector is affected by the gravitational pull of massive objects, resulting in a change in the wavelength and frequency of the wave.

3. What is the relationship between wave vector and energy in curved space-time?

In curved space-time, the wave vector is directly proportional to the energy of the wave. This means that an increase in the wave vector will result in an increase in the energy of the wave. Therefore, the curvature of space-time can have a significant impact on the energy of a wave.

4. Can the wave vector in curved space-time be visualized?

Yes, the wave vector in curved space-time can be visualized using mathematical tools such as vector fields and tensor calculus. However, it is a complex concept and may be difficult to visualize for those without a strong background in mathematics or physics.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding the wave vector in curved space-time?

Understanding the wave vector in curved space-time is crucial for various areas of physics, such as gravitational waves, black holes, and cosmology. It also has practical applications in fields like astronomy, where the curvature of space-time affects the propagation of electromagnetic waves from distant objects.