Wavefunction in polar coordinates and its bra ket notation

In summary, the conversation discusses the conversion of the wavefunction from Cartesian to polar coordinates. It also touches upon the difficulties in defining operators for angles in quantum mechanics and suggests focusing on the wavefunctions rather than bra and kets in spherical coordinates. The concept of completeness relationship and probability amplitude in this context is also mentioned.
Kashmir
The wavefunction of ##|\psi\rangle## is given by the bra ket
##\psi (x,y,z)=
\langle r| \psi\rangle##
I can convert the wavefunction from Cartesian to polar and have the wavefunction as ## \psi (r,\theta,\phi)##

What bra should act on the ket ##|\psi\rangle## to give me the wavefunction as ## \psi (r,\theta,\phi)## ?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just a different set of basis bras and kets based on a different coordinate system. It's the same idea.

PeroK said:
It's just a different set of basis bras and kets based on a different coordinate system. It's the same idea.

This is correct. However, the whole Dirac operator formalism has its nuances in curvilinear coordinates, specially for angular coordinates.

For example, it is problematic to define a ##\widehat{\theta}## and ##\widehat{\phi}## operators. The easiest thing to do is to define sine and cosine operators

$$\widehat{x} =\widehat{r}\sin\widehat{\theta}\cos\widehat{\phi},$$
$$\widehat{y} =\widehat{r}\sin\widehat{\theta}\sin\widehat{\phi},$$
$$\widehat{z} =\widehat{r}\cos\widehat{\theta}.$$

$$\widehat{r} =\sqrt{\widehat{x}^{2}+\widehat{y}^{2}+\widehat{z}^{2}}$$
$$\cos\widehat{\theta} =\frac{\widehat{z}}{\widehat{r}},\qquad\quad\quad\quad\;\:\sin\widehat{\theta}=\frac{\sqrt{\widehat{x}^{2}+\widehat{y}^{2}}}{\widehat{r}},
\cos\widehat{\phi} =\frac{\widehat{x}}{\sqrt{\widehat{x}^{2}+\widehat{y}^{2}}},\qquad\sin\widehat{\phi}=\frac{\widehat{y}}{\sqrt{\widehat{x}^{2}+\widehat{y}^{2}}}.$$

With Eigenvalues equation of the form

$$\widehat{r}\left|r,\theta,\phi\right\rangle =r\left|r,\theta,\phi\right\rangle, $$
$$\cos\widehat{\theta}\left|r,\theta,\phi\right\rangle =\cos\theta\left|r,\theta,\phi\right\rangle, $$
$$\cos\widehat{\phi}\left|r,\theta,\phi\right\rangle =\cos\phi\left|r,\theta,\phi\right\rangle. $$

However, this is just 1/3 of the issue. There are two things remaining (1) we have to define the corresponding momentum operators, (2) the bracket ##\left\langle r',\theta',\phi'\right|\left|r,\theta,\phi\right\rangle ## is given in terms of a generalized delta function.

In a paper I'm writing I call the above procedure a "quantum point transformation", as given by DeWitt https://journals.aps.org/pr/abstract/10.1103/PhysRev.85.653

In any case, the situation is not free of difficulties. For example, the angles are undefined for r=0.

• Informative
Likes DrClaude, vanhees71 and PeroK
So, I recommend the OP to be happy with the wavefunctions and to not worry with bra and kets in spherical coordinates, at least for now.

Likes Kashmir, DrClaude, vanhees71 and 1 other person
andresB said:
This is correct. However, the whole Dirac operator formalism has its nuances in curvilinear coordinates, specially for angular coordinates.

For example, it is problematic to define a ##\widehat{\theta}## and ##\widehat{\phi}## operators. The easiest thing to do is to define sine and cosine operators

$$\widehat{x} =\widehat{r}\sin\widehat{\theta}\cos\widehat{\phi},$$
$$\widehat{y} =\widehat{r}\sin\widehat{\theta}\sin\widehat{\phi},$$
$$\widehat{z} =\widehat{r}\cos\widehat{\theta}.$$

$$\widehat{r} =\sqrt{\widehat{x}^{2}+\widehat{y}^{2}+\widehat{z}^{2}}$$
$$\cos\widehat{\theta} =\frac{\widehat{z}}{\widehat{r}},\qquad\quad\quad\quad\;\:\sin\widehat{\theta}=\frac{\sqrt{\widehat{x}^{2}+\widehat{y}^{2}}}{\widehat{r}},
\cos\widehat{\phi} =\frac{\widehat{x}}{\sqrt{\widehat{x}^{2}+\widehat{y}^{2}}},\qquad\sin\widehat{\phi}=\frac{\widehat{y}}{\sqrt{\widehat{x}^{2}+\widehat{y}^{2}}}.$$
##\hat{r}## is also not a self-adjoined operator.

I'm confused.
Is it meaningful to talk about a ket ##|\phi\rangle ##?
And it's completeness relationship ##\int|\phi\rangle\langle\phi| d\phi##?Also is ##\langle\phi \mid \psi\rangle## the probability amplitude to find the system near the angle ##\phi## ?

There are no simple operators for angles in quantum mechanics. That's why the position representation is defined as the representation of the state vectors in terms of the (generalized) simultaneous eigenvectors of the operators representing the three Cartesian components of the position vector. Then you deal with wave functions, and you can write the equations in terms of any coordinates you like, including spherical or cylinder coordinates. That's because the wave function are fields in the sense of transformation properties under rotations and translations. This tells you how to write down the usual operators of vector calculus (like ##\vec{\nabla}##, ##\Delta##, ##\vec{x} \times \vec{\nabla}##, etc. in terms of arbitrary curvilinear coordinates.

• Informative
Likes Kashmir and PeroK
DrDu said:
##\hat{r}## is also not a self-adjoined operator.
why?

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10998-017-0192-1

1648651838570.png

Likes vanhees71
Yes, this famous reference underlines what I said ;-).

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
andresB said:
So, I recommend the OP to be happy with the wavefunctions and to not worry with bra and kets in spherical coordinates, at least for now.
Thank you. I'll move on, maybe in future we will discuss this. Right now I'm doing qm from McIntyre so skipping this subtle aspect is alright.

Likes vanhees71
vanhees71 said:
There are no simple operators for angles in quantum mechanics. That's why the position representation is defined as the representation of the state vectors in terms of the (generalized) simultaneous eigenvectors of the operators representing the three Cartesian components of the position vector. Then you deal with wave functions, and you can write the equations in terms of any coordinates you like, including spherical or cylinder coordinates. That's because the wave function are fields in the sense of transformation properties under rotations and translations. This tells you how to write down the usual operators of vector calculus (like ##\vec{\nabla}##, ##\Delta##, ##\vec{x} \times \vec{\nabla}##, etc. in terms of arbitrary curvilinear coordinates.
So you meant that we write state kets as linear combinations of eigenkets of position operator representing Cartesian components of position.

Once we find the wavefunction by applying a bra, we have a three dimensional field which can be easily represented by spherical coordinates.

Is that correct sir?

What I meant is that you define the wave function as
$$\psi(t,\vec{x})=\langle \vec{x}|\psi(t) \rangle,$$
where I assumed on the right-hand side that you work in the usual Schrödinger picture of time evolution (full time-dependence with the state ket; position operators and eigenvectors time-independent).

Now you can work only with the position-representation wave functions, using the representation of the observables in terms of (differential) operators,
$$\hat{\vec{x}} \psi=\vec{x} \psi, \quad \hat{\vec{p}} \psi = -\mathrm{i} \hbar \vec{\nabla} \psi,$$
$$\hat{\vec{L}} \psi = \hat{\vec{x}} \times \hat{\vec{p}} \psi = -\mathrm{i} \hbar \vec{x} \times \vec{\nabla} \psi,$$
$$\hat{H} \psi = \left [\frac{1}{2m} \hat{\vec{p}}^2 + V(\hat{\vec{x}}) \right] \psi = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \Delta \psi + V(\vec{x}) \psi,$$
etc.

I've written all the operators in vector notation, i.e., in a way that's independent of the choice of coordinates. You can use Cartesian coordinates ##(x_1,x_2,x_3)## as well as any others like spherical ones ##(r,\varphi,\vartheta)##. You only have to express the nabla operator ##\vec{\nabla}## and the Laplace operator ##\Delta## correctly in terms of whatever coordinates you like to work.

1. What is a wavefunction in polar coordinates?

A wavefunction in polar coordinates is a mathematical function that describes the behavior and properties of a quantum system in terms of polar coordinates, such as radius and angle. It is used in quantum mechanics to represent the probability amplitude of finding a particle at a specific location in space.

2. How is a wavefunction in polar coordinates written in bra-ket notation?

In bra-ket notation, a wavefunction in polar coordinates is written as ψ(r, θ) = ψr(r)ψθ(θ), where ψr(r) and ψθ(θ) are the radial and angular components of the wavefunction, respectively.

3. What is the significance of the bra-ket notation in quantum mechanics?

The bra-ket notation, also known as Dirac notation, is a convenient and compact way to represent mathematical expressions in quantum mechanics. It allows for easy manipulation of complex equations and provides a clear visual representation of the relationships between different quantum states and operators.

4. How is the probability of finding a particle in a specific location determined from the wavefunction in polar coordinates?

The probability of finding a particle at a specific location is given by the square of the absolute value of the wavefunction, known as the probability density. In polar coordinates, this is represented as |ψ(r, θ)|2 = |ψr(r)|2θ(θ)|2.

5. Can the wavefunction in polar coordinates be used to describe any quantum system?

Yes, the wavefunction in polar coordinates can be used to describe any quantum system, as long as the system can be described in terms of polar coordinates. However, in some cases, other coordinate systems may be more suitable for describing certain systems, such as Cartesian coordinates for particles in a one-dimensional box.