What is unique about the bra in Dirac bra-ket notation?

In summary, every ket in a Hilbert space has a unique corresponding bra that satisfies the property that the inner product between the two is the squared norm of the ket. This uniqueness can be proven directly from the Hilbert-space axioms and the existence of a complete orthonormal set.
Kashmir
It's said that every ket has a unique bra. For any vector ##|v> ∈ V## there is a unique bra ##<v| ∈ V*##.

I'm not sure what that means. What is unique? Can anyone please help me understand.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, for physicists it's almost always ok not to worry about these mathematical subtleties. One of my math professors (an expert on Lie-group theory) once said that the physicists get away with this, because the separable Hilbert space is almost as harmless as a finite-dimensional unitary vector space (of course he emphasized the word "almost"). So it's good to be at least aware of the corresponding subtleties (in this example the distinction between bound and unbound linear forms on Hilbert space) to avoid mistakes. For a nice pedagogical introduction to the subtleties, but here more concerning self-adjoint operators and their spectra, see

https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9907069

• Informative
Likes Demystifier and andresB
Kashmir said:
the article discusses in the light of column vectors . I wanted something more general.
The statement the article makes can be generalized from the column vector case. Just note that the bra ##\bra{v}## corresponding to the ket ##\ket{v}## always satisfies ##\langle v \vert v \rangle = |v|^2##, i.e., the inner product of the two is the squared norm of ##\ket{v}##. There will be one unique bra that has that property in any Hilbert space, not just the special case discussed in the article; that unique bra is the bra that corresponds to the ket ##\ket{v}##. To put it another way, bras are linear maps from kets to scalars; the bra ##\bra{v}## is the unique bra that maps the ket ##\ket{v}## to the scalar that is its squared norm.

Likes mfb, vanhees71 and Kashmir
PeterDonis said:
The statement the article makes can be generalized from the column vector case. Just note that the bra ##\bra{v}## corresponding to the ket ##\ket{v}## always satisfies ##\langle v \vert v \rangle = |v|^2##, i.e., the inner product of the two is the squared norm of ##\ket{v}##. There will be one unique bra that has that property in any Hilbert space, not just the special case discussed in the article; that unique bra is the bra that corresponds to the ket ##\ket{v}##. To put it another way, bras are linear maps from kets to scalars; the bra ##\bra{v}## is the unique bra that maps the ket ##\ket{v}## to the scalar that is its squared norm.
If you don't mind Can I ask how prove it someway? Could you please give me at least a hint. Thank you :)

Kashmir said:
Can I ask how prove it someway?
Bras are defined by the scalars that they map kets to. It's impossible to have multiple bras that all map the same ket to the same scalar. So there can only be one bra that maps a given ket to any scalar, including the scalar that is that ket's squared norm.

Kashmir said:
It's said that every ket has a unique bra. For any vector ##|v> ∈ V## there is a unique bra ##<v| ∈ V*##.

I'm not sure what that means. What is unique? Can anyone please help me understand.
Thank you
Uniqueness is a mathematical property whereby two things with a given property (or set of properties) must be the same. In this case: $$\text{If} \ \forall u \in V: \langle v_1| u \rangle = \langle v_2| u \rangle, \ \text{then} \ v_1 = v_2$$That means that two different kets cannot generate the same bra.

Likes Kashmir
Kashmir said:
If you don't mind Can I ask how prove it someway? Could you please give me at least a hint. Thank you :)
Using the above and the properties of the inner product we have:$$\langle v_1| u \rangle = \langle v_2| u \rangle \ \Rightarrow \ \langle v_1 - v_2|u \rangle = 0$$Now, choosing ##u = v_1 - v_2##:$$\langle v_1 - v_2|v_1 - v_2 \rangle = 0 \ \Rightarrow \ v_1 - v_2 = 0 \ \Rightarrow \ v_1 = v_2$$This proves that bras are unique.

Likes Demystifier
PeterDonis said:
Bras are defined by the scalars that they map kets to. It's impossible to have multiple bras that all map the same ket to the same scalar. So there can only be one bra that maps a given ket to any scalar, including the scalar that is that ket's squared norm.
You can prove it directly from the Hilbert-space axioms. Technically one must be a bit careful, because everything I say refers to bound linear forms, i.e., those that are continuous in the sense of the norm of the Hilbert space.

So let ##L: H \rightarrow \mathbb{C}## be such a linear form. Further the separable Hilbert space (there is only one up to isomorphism) has a complete orthonormal set ##|u_n \rangle## (##n \in \mathbb{N}##), ##\langle u_j|u_k \rangle=\delta_{jk}##, i.e., for each vector ##|\psi \rangle## there's a unique series ##\psi_n## such that
$$|\psi \rangle=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} u_n |\psi_n \rangle$$
and
$$\psi_n =\langle u_n|\psi \rangle.$$
Now one can define another series ##L_n## via
$$L_n^*=L(|u_n \rangle).$$
Since ##L## is continuous for all ##|\psi \rangle## you then have
$$L(|\psi \rangle)=L(\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \psi_n |u_n \rangle=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \psi_n L(u_n \rangle)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \psi_n L_n^*.$$
Now we define
$$|L \rangle=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} L_n |u_n \rangle.$$
Then we have
$$\langle u_n|L \rangle=\langle L|u_n \rangle^*=L_n.$$
From this we get, using the completeness of the ##|u_n \rangle##,
$$\langle L|\psi \rangle=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \langle L|u_n \rangle \langle u_n \psi \rangle=\sum_n L_n^* \psi_n=L(|\psi \rangle).$$
This proves the existence of a vector ##|L \rangle## such that ##\langle L|\psi \rangle=L(|\psi \rangle)##.

For the uniqueness assume that also ##|L' \rangle## has this property, but then for all vectors ##|\psi \rangle##
$$\langle L' |\psi \rangle-\langle L|\psi \rangle=L(|\psi \rangle)-L(|\psi \rangle)=0.$$
Thus ##|L'-L \rangle## is a vector for which ##\langle L'-L|\psi \rangle=0## for all ##\psi## and thus also for ##|\psi \rangle=|L \rangle-|L'\rangle##. So we find
$$\langle L-L'|L-L' \rangle=\|L-L'\|^2=0 \; \Rightarrow \; |L \rangle=|L' \rangle,$$
i.e., ##|L \rangle## is the unique vector with the property that ##L(|\psi \rangle)=\langle L|\psi \rangle## for all ##|\psi \rangle \in H##.

Likes PeroK
vanhees71 said:
So let ##L: H \rightarrow \mathbb{C}## be such a linear form. Further the separable Hilbert space (there is only one up to isomorphism) has a complete orthonormal set ##|u_n \rangle## (##n \in \mathbb{N}##), ##\langle u_j|u_k \rangle=\delta_{jk}##, i.e., for each vector ##|\psi \rangle## there's a unique series ##\psi_n## such that
$$|\psi \rangle=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} u_n |\psi_n \rangle$$
and
$$\psi_n =\langle u_n|\psi \rangle.$$
Now one can define another series ##L_n## via
$$L_n^*=L(|u_n \rangle).$$
Since ##L## is continuous for all ##|\psi \rangle## you then have
$$L(|\psi \rangle)=L(\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \psi_n |u_n \rangle=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \psi_n L(u_n \rangle)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \psi_n L_n^*.$$
Now we define
$$|L \rangle=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} L_n |u_n \rangle.$$
Then we have
$$\langle u_n|L \rangle=\langle L|u_n \rangle^*=L_n.$$
From this we get, using the completeness of the ##|u_n \rangle##,
$$\langle L|\psi \rangle=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \langle L|u_n \rangle \langle u_n \psi \rangle=\sum_n L_n^* \psi_n=L(|\psi \rangle).$$
This proves the existence of a vector ##|L \rangle## such that ##\langle L|\psi \rangle=L(|\psi \rangle)##.
... which shows that the set of kets is the dual space of ##H##. I.e. the only bounded linear functionals (for a separable Hilbert space) are the kets.

Likes vanhees71
The point is that if ##H^*## is the "topological dual" (i.e., the set of the continuous/bounded linear functionals), then (and only then) you have ##H=H^*##.

What you also need are unbound functionals like "position eigenvectors", which however live in the dual space of the domain of the position operator as a self-adjoint operator, and this domain ##D## is a proper dense subspace of ##H##, i.e., ##D^*## is larger than ##H##. In the bra-ket notation the bras can denote such "generalized eigenvectors, normalizable only to a ##\delta##-distribution, i.e., ##\langle x|x' \rangle=\delta(x-x')##.

Likes PeroK
PeroK said:
Using the above and the properties of the inner product we have:$$\langle v_1| u \rangle = \langle v_2| u \rangle \ \Rightarrow \ \langle v_1 - v_2|u \rangle = 0$$Now, choosing ##u = v_1 - v_2##:$$\langle v_1 - v_2|v_1 - v_2 \rangle = 0 \ \Rightarrow \ v_1 - v_2 = 0 \ \Rightarrow \ v_1 = v_2$$This proves that bras are unique.
Which property was used here $$\langle v_1| u \rangle = \langle v_2| u \rangle \ \Rightarrow \ \langle v_1 - v_2|u \rangle = 0$$

Likes vanhees71
Kashmir said:
Which property was used here $$\langle v_1| u \rangle = \langle v_2| u \rangle \ \Rightarrow \ \langle v_1 - v_2|u \rangle = 0$$
Linearity. For a complex inner product and using the physics convention of conjugate linearity in the first argument we have: $$\langle u_1 + u_2| v_1 + v_2 \rangle = \langle u_1| v_1 \rangle + \langle u_1| v_2 \rangle + \langle u_2| v_1 \rangle + \langle u_2| v_2 \rangle $$ $$\langle \alpha u| \beta v \rangle = \alpha^*\beta \langle u| v \rangle$$ $$\langle u| v \rangle = \langle v| u \rangle^*$$

Likes vanhees71 and Kashmir
PeroK said:
Linearity. For a complex inner product and using the physics convention of conjugate linearity in the first argument we have: $$\langle u_1 + u_2| v_1 + v_2 \rangle = \langle u_1| v_1 \rangle + \langle u_1| v_2 \rangle + \langle u_2| v_1 \rangle + \langle u_2| v_2 \rangle $$ $$\langle \alpha u| \beta v \rangle = \alpha^*\beta \langle u| v \rangle$$ $$\langle u| v \rangle = \langle v| u \rangle^*$$
Thankyou so much. I found a book by ballentine, it's also clear in his approach. Thank you very much Sir.

Likes vanhees71

What is Dirac bra-ket notation?

Dirac bra-ket notation, also known as Dirac notation or bra-ket notation, is a mathematical notation used to describe quantum states in quantum mechanics. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac in the 1930s and has become a standard notation in quantum physics.

What makes bra-ket notation unique?

The unique aspect of bra-ket notation is its use of angled brackets, with the bra representing the dual vector and the ket representing the original vector. This notation allows for a more intuitive and concise representation of quantum states and operations.

How is bra-ket notation used in quantum mechanics?

Bra-ket notation is used to represent quantum states, operators, and inner products in quantum mechanics. It allows for the description of complex quantum systems in a simple and elegant way, making it a powerful tool for calculations and theoretical analysis.

What are the advantages of using bra-ket notation?

One of the main advantages of bra-ket notation is its ability to simplify complex mathematical expressions. It also allows for a more intuitive understanding of quantum states and operations, making it easier to visualize and analyze quantum systems.

Are there any limitations to bra-ket notation?

While bra-ket notation is a useful tool in quantum mechanics, it does have some limitations. It can only be used to describe linear systems, and it does not provide a complete description of quantum states. Additionally, it can be challenging to interpret for those who are not familiar with the notation.