Wavelength of a transparent medicine

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding the wavelength of a transparent medicine without altering its properties. The speaker questions if there is a way to determine the wavelength without changing the substance and is advised to look for absorption characteristics in IR or UV. It is revealed that the question is for a college project and the thread is moved to the schoolwork forums."
mxhammed
Summary:: Is there a way to find the wavelength of a transparent medicine without adding a color to it?

I have a transparent substance (medicine) . I cannot find out its wavelength without having to add color to it. However I don't want to change any of its characteristics. Is there a way to find its wavelength? Am I missing something here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

Your question does not make sense as asked. A substance does not have an optical "wavelength" on its own. If it is clear/transparent, then you can shine whatever wavelength of visible light through it that you want. It may have an absorption characteristic in IR or UV that you could look for, assuming it were place in an appropriate container that was transparent for IR and UV.

BTW, is this question for schoolwork?

Likes Evo
Thank you so much Berkeman.

Now I understand.

Actually it's a college project.

Okay, thanks. I'll move the thread to the schoolwork forums then.

1. What is the wavelength of a transparent medicine?

The wavelength of a transparent medicine refers to the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the electromagnetic wave that passes through the medicine. It is typically measured in nanometers (nm) or micrometers (μm).

2. Why is the wavelength of a transparent medicine important?

The wavelength of a transparent medicine is important because it affects how the medicine interacts with light. Different wavelengths of light can have different effects on the medicine, such as absorption or scattering, which can impact its effectiveness.

3. How is the wavelength of a transparent medicine determined?

The wavelength of a transparent medicine can be determined using a spectrophotometer, which measures the amount of light that passes through the medicine at different wavelengths. The wavelength with the highest amount of light passing through is the wavelength of the medicine.

4. Can the wavelength of a transparent medicine change?

Yes, the wavelength of a transparent medicine can change depending on the medium it is passing through. For example, if the medicine is in a solution, the wavelength may be different compared to when it is in a solid form.

5. How does the wavelength of a transparent medicine affect its color?

The wavelength of a transparent medicine can determine its color because different wavelengths of light correspond to different colors in the visible spectrum. For example, a medicine with a shorter wavelength may appear blue, while a medicine with a longer wavelength may appear red.