Wavenumber of corresponding isotope peak in IR?

The difference in the posted answer could be due to rounding. The reduced masses should be calculated using the atomic masses of the isotopes (12 and 14 for carbon, and 16 for oxygen). The posted answer likely used more precise atomic masses, resulting in a slightly different reduced mass and thus a slightly different wavenumber for the peak. Overall, your solution and approach seem to be correct.
magnesium12

Homework Statement

The infrared spectrum of CO shows a vibrational absorption peak at 2170 cm-1
(a) What is the force constant of the CO bond?
(b) At what wavenumber would the corresponding peak for
14CO occur?

Homework Equations

k=ω2μ = (2πcv)2μ

The Attempt at a Solution

So I solved part a correctly and the force constant for CO = 1900N/m
For part b I assumed the force constant was the same for both isotopes so :
v12(√μ1214) = v14
I got v14 = 2079cm-1. However, the posted answer is 2083cm-1.
I realize this isn't a very big difference, but I can't see a reason why my answer shouldn't be exact if I'm using the exact wavelength given and amus for the reduced mass (as in 12 and 14 for C, and 16 for O). So am I incorrect in assuming the force constants are the same? If the force constant is different for the isotopes, how would I go about solving this question since I would have two unknowns (k14 and v14).

Physics news on Phys.org
Could be a rounding error.
How did you calculate the reduced masses?

The force constant should be the same.

1. What is the wavenumber of a corresponding isotope peak in IR?

The wavenumber of a corresponding isotope peak in IR refers to the specific frequency of infrared light absorbed by an isotope in a molecule. It is measured in reciprocal centimeters (cm-1) and is used to identify the chemical bonds present in a molecule.

2. How is the wavenumber of a corresponding isotope peak determined in IR?

The wavenumber of a corresponding isotope peak is determined by measuring the difference in energy between the ground state and excited state of the isotope in a molecule. This difference is then converted into a wavenumber value using the equation E = hc/λ, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength.

3. Can the wavenumber of a corresponding isotope peak change in different environments?

Yes, the wavenumber of a corresponding isotope peak can change in different environments. This is because the surrounding atoms and molecules can interact with the isotope, causing a shift in its energy levels and resulting in a different wavenumber value.

4. Why is the wavenumber of a corresponding isotope peak important in IR spectroscopy?

The wavenumber of a corresponding isotope peak is important in IR spectroscopy because it provides valuable information about the chemical structure and bonding of a molecule. By comparing the wavenumber values of different isotope peaks, scientists can identify the types of chemical bonds present in a molecule and determine its functional groups.

5. How does the wavenumber of a corresponding isotope peak affect the intensity of an IR spectrum?

The wavenumber of a corresponding isotope peak does not directly affect the intensity of an IR spectrum. However, the intensity of the peak can be affected by factors such as the concentration of the molecule and the strength of the bond being measured. In general, a stronger bond will result in a more intense peak, and a weaker bond will result in a less intense peak.