Waves: Trouble with simple Group Velocity derivation

Group Velocity.In summary, the conversation discusses a derivation of Group Velocity in the context of water waves. It involves superimposing two waveforms with the same amplitude but slightly different wavelength and frequency. The resulting wave group has a varying amplitude and wavenumber, which is determined by the trig identity 2a*cos[\frac{1}{2}(\delta kx-\delta \omega t)]cos[(k+\frac{1}{2}\delta k)x-(\omega+\frac{1}{2}\delta \omega )t]. The distance between two successive wavegroups is then calculated using the equation \Delta x = \frac{2\pi}{\delta k}. This leads to the concept of Group
K29
In my notes on waves (specifically water waves) there is a derivation of Group Velocity.

They consider two waveforms with the same amplitude, that differ slightly in wavelength and frequency, which are then superimposed to give wave groups.

[itex]k[/itex]is wavenumber, [itex]\delta k[/itex] is how much the wavenumbers between the two waves differ. Similarly for angular frequency [itex]\omega[/itex]. [itex]a[/itex] is the amplitude of both waves.

Superimposing both wave equations:
[itex]\tau(x,t)=a*cos[(k+\delta k)x-(\omega +\delta \omega)t]+ a*cos [kx-\omega t][/itex]

[itex]=2a*cos[\frac{1}{2}(\delta kx-\delta \omega t)]cos[(k+\frac{1}{2}\delta k)x-(\omega+\frac{1}{2}\delta \omega )t][/itex]I am fine with this. This results from a trig identity. So we have a wave group with a varying amplitude given by [itex]2a*cos[\frac{1}{2}(\delta kx-\delta \omega t)][/itex], wavenumber [itex]k+\frac{1}{2}\delta k[/itex], angular frequency[itex]\omega +\frac{1}{2}\delta \omega[/itex]

The distance between two successive wavegroups is [itex]\Delta x[/itex]

I am having trouble understanding where the next step comes from:

(1)
[itex]\frac{1}{2}\delta k \Delta x = \pi[/itex]

Thus

[itex]\Delta x = \frac{2\pi}{\delta k}[/itex]

They go on with the same thing for [itex]\Delta t[/itex] and then get the Group Velocity.

Where does (1) come from? I don't see it.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. What is a good way to get rid of t?
2. How does one classically find minima/maxima of a function?

Now, there may be a simpler way to do this, but that would be my approach.

As an aside: do not, unlike my Halliday & Resnick textbook ( 20-7) confuse this superposition process with modulation. No new frequencies are generated with superposition, whereas they most certainly are with modulation.

Thank you. This helped

Related to Waves: Trouble with simple Group Velocity derivation

1. What is group velocity?

Group velocity is the speed at which the overall shape or envelope of a wave packet (a localized group of waves) propagates through a medium. It is different from the phase velocity, which is the speed at which the individual wave crests move.

2. What is the significance of group velocity?

Group velocity is important because it determines the speed at which information is transmitted through a medium. In some cases, such as in fiber optics, group velocity can be used to increase the speed of data transmission.

3. How is group velocity calculated?

Group velocity is typically calculated by taking the derivative of the wave's frequency with respect to its wavenumber. In simpler terms, it is the change in the wave's frequency divided by the change in its wavenumber.

4. What is the problem with the simple derivation of group velocity?

The simple derivation of group velocity assumes that the wave's frequency and wavenumber are independent of each other, which is not always the case. This can lead to inaccurate calculations of group velocity in certain situations.

5. How can the issue with the simple derivation of group velocity be addressed?

To address this issue, a more complex derivation known as the Kramers-Kronig relation can be used. This takes into account the relationship between a wave's frequency and wavenumber, resulting in a more accurate calculation of group velocity.