Ways for a high school student to geek out at home?

In summary: Radio is very important, cell phone, wireless connections etc. are all two ways radio! I so wish I had these growing up.Have you considered electronics also. That is one of the easiest thing to play at home. That's how I started my 30 years career in EE. I remember when I was like 5 or 6, I started cutting up Christmas lights, stuck them in a cardboard box and hooked up in different banks so I could light them up in different sections. It's almost like some sort of digital controlling. Winding electro magnets and even motor when I was a little older. That was in the 50s and early 60s.Now if you go to Fry's or on Amazon, you can
nst.john
Hey, weird post but I am interested in science and building things and I wanted to ask any good ways to learn and have fun at home with science (preferably physics) and also some ideas of stuff I can use physics knowledge to build. THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi there john

a quick google search came up with this ... http://physics.about.com/od/physicsexperiments/tp/experimentbooks.htm

it was just one of dozens of links to books on physics experiments to do at home

cheers
Dave

Build a cloud chamber.

What's a cloud chamber?

Have you consider electronics also. That is one of the easiest thing to play at home. That's how I started my 30 years career in EE. I remember when I was like 5 or 6, I started cutting up Christmas lights, stuck them in a cardboard box and hooked up in different banks so I could light them up in different sections. It's almost like some sort of digital controlling. Winding electro magnets and even motor when I was a little older. That was in the 50s and early 60s.

Now if you go to Fry's or on Amazon, you can find so many electronic project games. Play with those. Then start building on your own. Get some books and read.

Then in my teenage days, I was into music, I started modifying guitar amplifiers. That's how I got into EE. I had a degree in Biochemistry, but never work a day in that. Never have a formal education in EE but been an EE for 30 years designing all sort of interesting stuff.

yungman said:
Have you consider electronics also. That is one of the easiest thing to play at home. That's how I started my 30 years career in EE. I remember when I was like 5 or 6, I started cutting up Christmas lights, stuck them in a cardboard box and hooked up in different banks so I could light them up in different sections. It's almost like some sort of digital controlling. Winding electro magnets and even motor when I was a little older. That was in the 50s and early 60s.

Now if you go to Fry's or on Amazon, you can find so many electronic project games. Play with those. Then start building on your own. Get some books and read.

Then in my teenage days, I was into music, I started modifying guitar amplifiers. That's how I got into EE. I had a degree in Biochemistry, but never work a day in that. Never have a formal education in EE but been an EE for 30 years designing all sort of interesting stuff.

If we're suggesting electronics, then an Arduino is the obvious choice. Buy an Arduino project kit and a good guidebook (say, O'Reilly's book on the Arduino).

I do like electronics so I'll get into that.

Thanks

nst.john said:
I do like electronics so I'll get into that.

I don't know what is your level of tinkering. Look into radio also. Here is a link for some simple stuff, see whether it's too simple.https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_9?url=search-alias%3Dtoys-and-games&field-keywords=radio%20kit&sprefix=radio+kit%2Celectronics%2C272&tag=pfamazon01-20

Radio is very important, cell phone, wireless connections etc. are all two ways radio! I so wish I had these growing up.

Electronics is very important even for a physicist. I worked with a lot of PhDs in physics, a lot of them tinker with electronics and designing their own circuits as no body have time to help them on small projects. It's a big advantage to know electronics. It's an electronic world! You have a chance to get your hands wet in RF. As frequency goes up, electronics and electromagnetics( classical physics) start to cross path and the line becomes blur.

Last edited:
Another thing you might want to dip your hands in...Computer programming. That you can do with a laptop or desktop. I am no expert in programming now, but I know for a fact most physicist write programs for themselves. Someone else should advice you on this, I am just an analog/RF man!

Scientific programming require deep knowledge in physics. I worked with a lot of programmers that had to write program that require knowledge of signal processing, Forier transforms and others that require knowledge of physics. I worked with various scientific instrumentation, the lines between physics, electronics and programming are very blur. I even ended up had to do a lot of FPGA programming...which is almost the same as software programming. In this fast paste world, you don't have time to do one part of the design, then ask someone else to do the programming, or design circuits. The most valuable workers are the one that can do a little of all even they specialize in one field.

Last edited:

1. What are some hobbies or activities that a high school student can do at home to explore their interest in science and technology?

There are many ways for high school students to geek out at home! Some popular hobbies or activities include coding, building and programming robots or electronics, conducting science experiments at home, participating in online coding challenges or hackathons, and creating and designing digital art or animations.

2. Are there any online resources or courses that can help a high school student learn more about science and technology?

Yes, there are plenty of online resources and courses available for high school students to explore their interest in science and technology. Some popular websites include Code.org, Khan Academy, and Coursera, which offer a variety of free online courses and tutorials on coding, computer science, and other STEM-related subjects.

3. How can a high school student use social media to connect with other like-minded individuals who share their interest in science and technology?

Social media can be a great tool for high school students to connect with other individuals who share their interest in science and technology. They can join online communities or groups on platforms like Reddit, Discord, or Facebook, and participate in discussions, share ideas, and collaborate on projects with other enthusiasts.

4. Can a high school student participate in any science or technology-related competitions or events from home?

Yes, there are many science and technology-related competitions and events that high school students can participate in from home. These can include coding competitions, science fairs, robotics challenges, and online hackathons. Students can also participate in virtual science conferences or attend webinars to learn about the latest advancements in their field of interest.

5. How can a high school student stay updated on the latest news and developments in the world of science and technology?

There are several ways for high school students to stay updated on the latest news and developments in science and technology. They can subscribe to science and technology-related newsletters, follow reputable sources on social media, listen to podcasts, and read articles or books on the subject. They can also attend virtual events or conferences to learn from experts in the field.