Ways to bypass an internet filter

In summary, the speaker is trying to bypass an internet filter installed on their computer in order to access iPlayer and Youtube videos. They are open to suggestions, but the filter was installed by the administrator and they are the only person who uses the computer. The conversation ends with the suggestion to speak to a supervisor to potentially modify the filter.
I-Love-Maths2
I am desperately trying to bypass an internet filter that is installed on my computer
Basically I want to watch iPlayer and Youtube videos and I can't seem to get round it
Open to any suggestions

Technology news on Phys.org
I-Love-Maths2 said:
I am desperately trying to bypass an internet filter that is installed on my computer
Basically I want to watch iPlayer and Youtube videos and I can't seem to get round it
Open to any suggestions
Who installed the filter on "your" computer?

The administrator.
It isn't actually mine but I'm the only person that uses it.

You should probably just talk to your supervisor to see if s/he can get IT to modify your filter. Thread is closed.

Likes hmmm27, anorlunda, jim mcnamara and 1 other person

What is an internet filter?

An internet filter is a software or program that is designed to restrict or block access to certain websites or online content. It is commonly used by schools, businesses, and governments to control internet usage and prevent access to inappropriate or harmful content.

Why would someone want to bypass an internet filter?

There are various reasons why someone may want to bypass an internet filter. Some may want to access blocked websites for legitimate purposes, such as conducting research or accessing educational material. Others may want to bypass the filter for personal reasons, such as accessing restricted social media sites or streaming services.

What are some ways to bypass an internet filter?

There are several methods that can be used to bypass an internet filter. These include using a virtual private network (VPN), using a proxy server, using the Tor browser, or using alternative DNS servers.

Is it legal to bypass an internet filter?

It is important to note that the legality of bypassing an internet filter varies depending on your location and the reason for bypassing it. In some countries, it may be illegal to bypass internet filters imposed by the government. However, in most cases, it is not illegal to bypass filters imposed by schools or businesses for personal use.

Are there any risks involved in bypassing an internet filter?

Yes, there are some potential risks involved in bypassing an internet filter. Using a VPN or proxy server may expose your personal information to the service provider, and using alternative DNS servers may result in slower internet speeds. Additionally, bypassing filters without authorization may result in consequences from the filter's administrator.