Weak force symmetry broken above 250 GeV?

In summary: Higgs field, does just that. The resulting particles, the W and Z bosons, have masses thatagree with the predictions of the theory, even at high energies.""These two facts together imply something fairly profound: to avoid problematic high-energy predictions, an internalsymmetry is essential—the lessons of the previous chapter still apply. But when the massive gauge bosons have lowenergy (low compared with the energy that Einstein's relation E = mc2 associates with its mass), the symmetry should nolonger be preserved. The symmetry must be eliminated so that gauge bosons can have mass and the third polarization canparticipate in the low-energy interactions where the mass makes a
cube137
I'm reviewing this book Warped Passages by Lisa Randall and a sentence caused me some incomprehension. Somewhere in it she stated:

"The weak gauge boson masses tell us the precise value of the energy at which the weak force symmetry is spontaneously broken. That energy is 250 GeV, the weak scale energy, very close to the masses of the weak gauge bosons, the W-, the W+ and the Z. When particles have energy greater than 250 Gev, interactions occur as if the symmetry is preserved, but when their energy is less than 250 Gev, the symmetry is broken and weak gauge bosons act as if they have mass. With the correct value of the nonvanishing Higgs field, the weak force symmetry is spontaneously broken at the right energy, and the weak gauge bosons get precisely the right mass."

I'd like to know something. Why, if the energy of the accelerator is above 250 GeV. Can they see the weak bosons losing mass and become massless, just like the photons?

And why the 250 GeV value? The mass of the Z is 91.1876 GeV and the Ws is 80.385 GeV. Where did Lisa come up with 250 GeV (which is exactly double the mass of the Higgs.. the book written in 2006, so she didn't know).

Physics news on Phys.org
cube137 said:
And why the 250 GeV value? The mass of the Z is 91.1876 GeV and the Ws is 80.385 GeV. Where did Lisa come up with 250 GeV

Well it is ~246GeV, so nothing great with the 250 value... It is the Higg's vacuum expectation value.

The rest I guess may refer to the equivalence theorem... http://journals.aps.org/prd/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevD.41.2294 ?
or it may just want to state that since the energy E [itex]E>>M_V[/itex] the mass of the vector boson, the interactions don't depend [at leading order] on the vector boson's mass?

ChrisVer said:
Well it is ~246GeV, so nothing great with the 250 value... It is the Higg's vacuum expectation value.

The rest I guess may refer to the equivalence theorem... http://journals.aps.org/prd/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevD.41.2294 ?
or it may just want to state that since the energy E [itex]E>>M_V[/itex] the mass of the vector boson, the interactions don't depend [at leading order] on the vector boson's mass?

Why, at LHC, if the energies are above 245 GeV.. can they detect the weak bosons as massless (before electroweak symmetry breaking)?

Well, that's a bit tricky. A way to get a world, where the VEV of the Higgs field vanishes, you'd have to have to create ultrahot matter, i.e., matter at temperatures that cannot achieved with our present technology. Nevertheless, even then the vector bosons wouldn't be exactly massless, because all particles get thermal masses and a finite width in the medium.

What has been achieved at the CERN SPS, RHIC, and the LHC, however, is the confinement-deconfinement phase transition. This is done by colliding heavy nuclei (heavy ions) and create a very hot and dense medium, the socalled quark-gluon plasma, which however lasts only for a few ##\mathrm{fm}/c## since the fireballs of a few fm size expand and cool down quickly. Wikipedia has a nice overview on the subject:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark–gluon_plasma

vanhees71 said:
Well, that's a bit tricky. A way to get a world, where the VEV of the Higgs field vanishes, you'd have to have to create ultrahot matter, i.e., matter at temperatures that cannot achieved with our present technology. Nevertheless, even then the vector bosons wouldn't be exactly massless, because all particles get thermal masses and a finite width in the medium.

What has been achieved at the CERN SPS, RHIC, and the LHC, however, is the confinement-deconfinement phase transition. This is done by colliding heavy nuclei (heavy ions) and create a very hot and dense medium, the socalled quark-gluon plasma, which however lasts only for a few ##\mathrm{fm}/c## since the fireballs of a few fm size expand and cool down quickly. Wikipedia has a nice overview on the subject:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark–gluon_plasma

The Quark-gluon_plasma is related to QCD. I was asking about Electroweak. Or let me just ask you if the third polarization of the massive weak gauge bosons were gone at high-energy interactions at the LHC. The following is the context of my questions.. quoting from Lisa Randall Warped Passages:

"These two facts together imply something fairly profound: to avoid problematic high-energy predictions, an internal
symmetry is essential—the lessons of the previous chapter still apply. But when the massive gauge bosons have low
energy (low compared with the energy that Einstein's relation E = mc2 associates with its mass), the symmetry should no
longer be preserved. The symmetry must be eliminated so that gauge bosons can have mass and the third polarization can
participate in the low-energy interactions where the mass makes a difference.

In 1964, Peter Higgs and others discovered how theories of forces could incorporate massive gauge bosons by doing
exactly what we just said: keeping an internal symmetry at high energies, but eliminating it at low energies. The Higgs
mechanism, based on spontaneous symmetry breaking, breaks the internal symmetry of the weak interactions, but only at
low energy. That ensures that the extra polarization will be present at low energy, where the theory needs it. But the extra
polarization will not participate in high-energy processes, and the nonsensical high-energy interactions will not appear."

Vanhees71. Is the high-energy processes vs low energies about the accelerator energies at the LHC which can turn on and off the third polarization of the weak bosons?

cube137 said:
Or let me just ask you if the third polarization of the massive weak gauge bosons were gone at high-energy interactions at the LHC.

Well nothing is lost/gone, since at the end of the day you can calculate amplitudes without caring about the longitudinal polarization of the vector bosons (you just need to make an appropriate exchange with the Higgs ghosts, which are would-be goldstone bosons). That is how I interpret the equivalence theorem. So it's not like it's "gone". It's not turned on or off as a result.

cube137 said:
The Quark-gluon_plasma is related to QCD. I was asking about Electroweak. Or let me just ask you if the third polarization of the massive weak gauge bosons were gone at high-energy interactions at the LHC. The following is the context of my questions.. quoting from Lisa Randall Warped Passages:

I know, and I told you that we don't have any handle on "un-Higgsed" electroweak matter, because for that we'd need ultrahigh energies. In nature, according to our understanding now, this has been present only very very shortly after the Big Bang. The only analogue situation is the QGP and the "melting" of the quark condensate, which however is not a Higgsed local but a spontaneously global symmetry (note that local symmetries cannot be spontaneously broken although it's always said in this way, but that's a mathematical theorem (Elitzur's theorem)).

What is the "Weak force symmetry broken above 250 GeV"?

The "Weak force symmetry broken above 250 GeV" refers to the breaking of the electroweak symmetry at energy levels above 250 GeV. This is a phenomenon that occurs in particle physics, where the weak nuclear force and the electromagnetic force were believed to be unified at high energies, but as the temperature of the universe cooled, the two forces separated.

What is the significance of this symmetry breaking?

The significance of this symmetry breaking is that it helps to explain the origin of mass in the universe. The Higgs mechanism, which is responsible for the symmetry breaking, predicts the existence of the Higgs boson, a particle that gives mass to other particles. This discovery was a major breakthrough in understanding the fundamental forces of nature.

What evidence do we have for this symmetry breaking?

The evidence for this symmetry breaking comes from experiments conducted at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. In 2012, the LHC announced the discovery of the Higgs boson, which was the last missing piece of the Standard Model of particle physics. The characteristics of the Higgs boson, such as its mass and interactions, provide strong evidence for the existence of the electroweak symmetry breaking.

What are the implications of this symmetry breaking for the universe?

The implications of this symmetry breaking for the universe are vast. It helps to explain the fundamental forces of nature and the origin of mass. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the early universe and the formation of galaxies and stars. Furthermore, the discovery of the Higgs boson has opened up new avenues for research and could potentially lead to a deeper understanding of the universe and its workings.

Are there any practical applications of this research?

While the primary goal of this research is to understand the fundamental forces of nature, there are potential practical applications as well. The technology used to discover the Higgs boson has led to advancements in particle accelerators, detectors, and computing systems. Additionally, the understanding of the Higgs mechanism could potentially lead to new technologies in the future, such as more efficient energy production or new medical treatments.