What were the clues that the weak and EM force are the same

In summary, the author was discussing how the weak and EM forces are the same force at some energy and how the scientists thought that this was because of a symmetry breaking. However, the author did not provide a reason as to why the weak and gravitational forces were not thought to be the same.
amenhotep
Hello,
I've been reading a book on particle physics for the general audience, and as you might expect, I was left with a slew of nagging unanswered questions.
There was a chapter on gauge symmetry where the author described that the weak and the EM forces are the same force at some energy (>80GeV) and said that it is because of a symmetry breaking that the two forces appear unconnected today as the temperature of the universe has gone down since the big bang. I was expecting to be told the reason why the scientists (Schwinger and Glashow) thought that these forces were once merged, but the author didn't provide the reason. I was left wondering why only the weak and the EM forces were thought to be the same and not the weak and gravitational forces, for instance.
I have no background in particle physics. I'm reading just out of curiosity and would appreciate if someone can tell me the clues the mentioned scientists had to assume that the two forces were once merged.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it was something like this: there was a bit of experimental data on the weak force and theorists were trying to come up with a mathematical theory to explain the data. They had a class of elegant theories ("spontaneously broken gauge theories") that could describe a weak force, but these theories tended to unavoidably describe a weak force *plus* another much stronger force. They realized that this was OK if they could make the extra force be electromagnetism. They found the theory that made this happen and it turned out to match experiment.

The mathematics of gravity doesn't really fit this framework unfortunately, so there was no hope of getting the extra force to be gravity.

They are not the same in the same way magnets and electrically charged objects are not the same. They can be described as two different but connected concepts in a single theory describing both.

In the same way, it is expected that the electroweak interaction (=electromagnetic and weak interaction) can be unified with the strong interaction at an even larger energy ("grand unified theory", GUT), and the ultimate step would be a unification with gravity, probably at the scale of the Planck energy.

Likes vanhees71
Unifying GUT with gravity would result in the alleged holy grail of particle physics - the theory of everything [TOE]. That, of course, assumes nature would turn her head instead of tossing us an unexpected bone along the way [as she seems to delight in doing].

What were the clues that the weak and EM force are the same?

1. How were the weak and EM force first theorized to be connected?
The first clue that the weak and EM force may be connected came from the work of physicists Sheldon Glashow, Abdus Salam, and Steven Weinberg in the 1960s. They proposed a theory called the "electroweak theory" which showed that the weak and EM force were two aspects of the same force.

2. What experimental evidence supports the theory that the weak and EM force are the same?
One major piece of evidence is the discovery of the Higgs boson particle in 2012. This particle is responsible for giving mass to other particles and its existence was predicted by the electroweak theory. Additionally, experiments at the Large Hadron Collider have shown that the weak and EM force behave in similar ways at high energies.

3. How do the symmetries of the weak and EM force support the idea that they are the same?
The weak and EM force both exhibit similar symmetries, specifically a symmetry called "gauge symmetry". This symmetry means that the equations describing the forces are invariant under certain transformations, which is a key characteristic of a unified force.

4. Are there any other proposed theories for the connection between the weak and EM force?
Yes, there are other theories such as "grand unified theories" (GUTs) which attempt to unify all of the fundamental forces, including the strong nuclear force, into a single force. However, the electroweak theory is currently the most widely accepted and successful theory for connecting the weak and EM force.

5. How does the unification of the weak and EM force impact our understanding of the universe?
The unification of the weak and EM force is a major step towards understanding the fundamental laws of the universe. It helps to simplify our understanding of the forces and particles that make up our world and may eventually lead to a more complete theory that unifies all of the forces in the universe.