Weak interactions: I know why they're weak, but why are they slow?

In summary: The Fermi rule is a result of taking the time-averaged result of all the weak interactions. Exponential decay is just a special case of the Fermi rule.
nonequilibrium
Compared to, for example, electromagnetic interactions.

Are the "weakness" and "slowness" perhaps somehow related? Perhaps both "weakness" and "slowness" can both be reformulated as "having a low probability of occurring", making the "slowness" apparent, and making the "weakness" a time-averaged result.

Physics news on Phys.org
See e.g. the Fermi rule: The probability PER UNIT TIME of decay is proportional to the square of the coupling constant.

By the way, it is quite frustrating to see that most textbooks on quantum mechanics or quantum field theory do not contain a convincing derivation of the Fermi rule and exponential decay law. One of the rare textbooks that does contain a convincing derivation is the old textbook by E. Merzbacher (1961).

Last edited:
We know Weak interactions are weak because of their low probability of happening at all but when they do happen they also take their time about it - about 10-6s.

It is my understanding that these are different properties and the fundamental forces are like that because that is how they are.
Now watch someone correct me :)

most textbooks on quantum mechanics or quantum field theory do not contain a convincing derivation of the Fermi rule and exponential decay law.
Messiah Chap XVII beats it to death. But actually Schiff I think has the clearest treatment. He points out that Fermi originally called it "Golden Rule #2". (Rule #1 was the second order perturbation formula.)
It is my understanding that these are different properties and the fundamental forces are like that because that is how they are.
Now watch someone correct me :)
Ok, sure! :smile: Weak interactions are not intrinsically slow. Neutrino events in OPERA, for example, are rare but not slow. Also the weak coupling constant g is not that much smaller. The reason weak decays have a longer lifetime is kinematical: the heavy mass of the W.

Related to Weak interactions: I know why they're weak, but why are they slow?

1. Why are weak interactions considered "weak"?

Weak interactions are considered weak because they have a much lower strength compared to other fundamental forces, such as electromagnetism and gravity. This means that the weak interaction has a smaller effect on particles and is only observable at very small distances.

2. How does the weak interaction compare to other fundamental forces?

The weak interaction is the second weakest fundamental force, with gravity being the weakest. Electromagnetism and the strong interaction are both much stronger than the weak interaction.

3. Why are weak interactions slow?

The weak interaction is slow because it is mediated by the exchange of massive particles, called W and Z bosons. These particles have a lot of mass, which means they can only travel at slower speeds compared to the massless particles that mediate other fundamental forces.

4. Can weak interactions be observed in everyday life?

No, weak interactions are only observable at the subatomic level. They are not strong enough to have an impact on everyday objects or phenomena.

5. How are weak interactions important in the structure of matter?

Weak interactions play a crucial role in the structure of matter by allowing particles to change into different types, a process known as particle decay. This helps to maintain the balance of particles in the universe and is essential in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles.