Has Anyone Experienced Challenges with the Weber-Davis Solar Wind Model?

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with their project involving the Weber-Davis solar wind model. They are having trouble with an integral and are considering estimating and iterating to solve the problem.
JvD
Hi, I was wondering if anyone here had any experience (preferably intimate) with the Weber-Davis solar wind model, i.e. : http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?db_key=AST&bibcode=1967ApJ...148..217W&letter=0&classic=YES&defaultprint=YES&whole_paper=YES&page=217&epage=217&send=Send+PDF&filetype=.pdf

I'm currently usuing their results on a related project and I'm in need of some help!

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
What is your problem specifically?
Integrating (22) to get (24) (or a variation of).

The problem is that, after making the substitution and reducing the function to only u and r (as per the text below (22)), the integral seems paradoxically impossible. That is, I'm ultimately, via way of transcendental equation, looking to express u (which is in itself a function of r, i.e. u=u(r)) in terms of r, but in order to integrate (22) you need to know u, creating an infinite loop of head-against-the-wall confusion.

My best guess is to estimate u and iterate, but I'm really not sure

1. What is the Weber Davis Solar Wind Model?

The Weber Davis Solar Wind Model is a theoretical model that describes the behavior of the solar wind, a stream of charged particles flowing from the Sun. It was developed by scientists John Weber and Larry Davis in the 1960s.

2. How does the Weber Davis Solar Wind Model work?

The model proposes that the solar wind is created by a combination of two processes: the heating and acceleration of particles in the Sun's corona, and the expansion of the solar atmosphere due to the Sun's magnetic field. These processes work together to create the outward flow of charged particles that we observe as the solar wind.

3. What does the Weber Davis Solar Wind Model tell us about the solar wind?

The model helps us understand the properties of the solar wind, such as its speed, density, and magnetic field, and how they vary with distance from the Sun. It also predicts the presence of different types of solar wind streams, such as fast and slow streams, which have different effects on Earth's magnetosphere and can cause space weather events.

4. How has the Weber Davis Solar Wind Model been tested and validated?

Over the years, the model has been compared to observations from spacecraft and has been found to accurately predict the behavior of the solar wind. It has also been used to make forecasts of space weather events, which have been confirmed by real-time measurements. However, the model is constantly being refined and updated as new data becomes available.

5. What are the practical applications of the Weber Davis Solar Wind Model?

Understanding the solar wind is important for a variety of reasons. It helps us protect satellites and astronauts from the effects of space weather, and it also plays a role in the formation of the aurora borealis (northern lights). Additionally, the solar wind has a significant impact on the atmospheres of planets and their magnetic fields, so studying it can help us better understand other solar systems and the potential for life on other planets.