Wedge product and change of variables

In summary, we can prove that d$y_1\wedge...\wedge $d$y_n$=(detD$\phi(x)$)$\cdot$d$x_1\wedge...\wedge$d$x_n$ without using the fact about determinants.
i_a_n
The question is: Let $\phi:\mathbb{R}^n\rightarrow\mathbb{R}^n$ be a $C^1$ map and let $y=\phi(x)$ be the change of variables. Show that d$y_1\wedge...\wedge $d$y_n$=(detD$\phi(x)$)$\cdot$d$x_1\wedge...\wedge$d$x_n$.Take a look at here and the answer given by Michael Albanese:
differential geometry - wedge product and change of variables - Mathematics Stack Exchange

My question is can we prove it without using the fact "$\det A = \sum_{\sigma\in S_n}\operatorname{sign}(\sigma)\prod_{i=1}^na_{i \sigma(j)}$"?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, we can prove it without using the fact "$\det A = \sum_{\sigma\in S_n}\operatorname{sign}(\sigma)\prod_{i=1}^na_{i \sigma(j)}$". The proof is as follows:Let $\phi(x)=(y_1,...,y_n)$. Then, by the chain rule, d$y_i=\sum_{j=1}^{n}\frac{\partial y_i}{\partial x_j}$d$x_j$, for $i=1,2,...,n$. Therefore, d$y_1\wedge ...\wedge $d$y_n=\left(\sum_{j=1}^{n}\frac{\partial y_1}{\partial x_j}$d$x_j\right)\wedge...\wedge\left(\sum_{j=1}^{n}\frac{\partial y_n}{\partial x_j}$d$x_j\right)$. Now, let $D\phi(x)=(a_{ij})_{n\times n}$ be the Jacobian matrix of $\phi$. Then, d$y_1\wedge ...\wedge $d$y_n=\left(\sum_{j=1}^{n}a_{1j}$d$x_j\right)\wedge...\wedge\left(\sum_{j=1}^{n}a_{nj}$d$x_j\right)$. Using the distributive law, we get d$y_1\wedge ...\wedge $d$y_n=\sum_{j_1,...,j_n=1}^{n}\left(a_{1j_1}...a_{nj_n}\right)$d$x_{j_1}\wedge ...\wedge$d$x_{j_n}$. Finally, since the sum is over all permutations of $j_1,...,j_n$, the result follows.

Related to Wedge product and change of variables

1. What is the wedge product?

The wedge product, also known as the exterior product, is a mathematical operation that combines two vectors to create a new vector perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is denoted by the symbol ∧ and is commonly used in multilinear algebra and differential geometry.

2. How is the wedge product used in change of variables?

In change of variables, the wedge product is used to transform integrals from one coordinate system to another. It helps to simplify the integration process by accounting for the change in variables and orientation of the coordinate system.

3. What is the significance of the sign in the wedge product?

The sign in the wedge product represents the orientation of the vectors being combined. If the vectors are parallel, the wedge product is equal to zero. If they are anti-parallel, the wedge product is equal to the negative of the magnitude of the vectors multiplied together.

4. How does the wedge product relate to determinants?

The wedge product is closely related to determinants, as the determinant of a matrix can be thought of as the wedge product of the column or row vectors of the matrix. It is also used in the definition of the cross product in three-dimensional space.

5. Can the wedge product be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the wedge product can be extended to higher dimensions and is commonly used in differential forms and exterior algebra. In these contexts, it is used to define a variety of operations, such as the exterior derivative, Hodge star operator, and wedge product of differential forms.