Wedge product and change of variables

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the determinant in proving a change of variables formula involving the wedge product of differential forms. The concept of pullback of a differential form is also mentioned as a possible approach for proving the formula without using the fact that the determinant can be expressed as a sum over permutations.
ianchenmu

Homework Statement

The question is: Let [itex]\phi: \mathbb{R}^n\rightarrow\mathbb{R}^n[/itex] be a [itex]C^1[/itex] map and let [itex]y=\phi(x)[/itex] be the change of variables. Show that d[itex]y_1\wedge...\wedge [/itex]d[itex]y_n[/itex]=(detD[itex]\phi(x)[/itex])[itex]\cdot[/itex]d[itex]x_1\wedge...\wedge[/itex]d[itex]x_n[/itex].

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Take a look at here and the answer given by Michael Albanese:
http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/367949/wedge-product-and-change-of-variables

My question is can we prove it without using the fact "[itex]\det A = \sum_{\sigma\in S_n}\operatorname{sign}(\sigma)\prod_{i=1}^na_{i \sigma(j)}[/itex]"?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the definition of the pullback of a differential form ? This is a generalization to multilinear

maps of the "induced map" L* , from W* to V*, given a linear map L:V-->W , both V,W vector spaces.

I'm trying to avoid heavy machinery, but I think you need to understand this, unless you just want

a quick-and-dirty answer ( I assume you don't since you would have accepted the answer from the link

if you did.). You are basically doing a change of bases for multilinear maps, an extension of the idea of

basis change for a linear map.

Last edited:
Or maybe you can tell us the approach you want to follow .

1. What is the wedge product?

The wedge product, also known as the exterior product, is a mathematical operation used in vector calculus to combine two vectors and produce a new vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is denoted by the symbol ∧ and is commonly used in geometric algebra and differential geometry.

2. How is the wedge product used in change of variables?

In change of variables, the wedge product is used to transform the coordinates of a vector from one coordinate system to another. This is done by taking the wedge product of the original vector with the basis vectors of the new coordinate system. It allows for a more efficient and concise representation of the transformation compared to using traditional matrix operations.

3. What is the significance of the wedge product in physics?

In physics, the wedge product is important in the study of mechanics and electromagnetism. It allows for the manipulation of vectors and tensors in a geometrically intuitive way, making it a powerful tool for solving problems in these fields. It is also used in the formulation of Maxwell's equations and the study of relativity.

4. Can the wedge product be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the wedge product can be extended to higher dimensions, such as in n-dimensional space. In these cases, the wedge product produces a result that is a multivector, meaning it has both scalar and vector components. This allows for the representation of more complex geometric operations in higher dimensions.

5. What are some applications of the wedge product?

The wedge product has numerous applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. In addition to its use in change of variables and geometric algebra, it is also used in differential forms, differential geometry, and computer graphics. It is also used in machine learning and data analysis to extract features and reduce dimensionality of data sets.