Weight and Force in a Hanging Cabin

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the laws of motion, specifically the forces acting on a man standing on a weighing machine inside a hanging cabin. The weight shown by the machine is dependent on the balance of forces, including the man's weight, tension from the rope, and normal reaction force. To get the correct weight, the man must exert a force to accelerate the cabin upwards. The equations for this scenario are derived and confirmed to be correct. Additionally, it is noted that the normal forces between the man and cabin are internal and do not affect the overall calculations.
f(x)
« Laws of Motion » problem

Homework Statement

A man of mass = 60 kg is standing on a weighing machine inside an cabin (of mass = 30kg). The cabin is hanging from a pulley fixed to the ceiling through a light rope, the other end of which is held by the man himself.
a) If the man manages to keep the cabin at rest, what is the weight shown by the machine ?
b) What force must he exert to get his correct weight ?

2. What I feel :rolleyes:
since the man is holding the rope himself, a tension T is acting on him upwards. His weight is acting downwards. In case a) , there's no acceleration.
Normal rxn. N is also upwards.
So, N+T= mg , where m is the mass of the man.
Also T balances the downward force of the lift and the man.
so, T= (M+m)g - T
Is this argument correct ? I am specially confused about the Normal forces . I get the correct answer with this but I have not included the normal force in the second equation...and I am supposed to consider all the forces . Does it cancel out ?

for b), he must accelerate the cabin upwards to get his correct weight. Let the acc. be a, then, in the cabin's frame of ref. -:
N+T-mg=ma (ma is pseudo force)
or, N+T=m(a+g) <-- Here N must be 60g to get correct weight.
So i get T=60a
Now in Earth's frame,
T-((M+m)g-T)=(M+m)a <--I have used (M+m)g-T to denote downward force
Solving, I get a=30, hence T=1800N

Actually, i have worked backwards from the answers to get these equations, and hence I am in doubt whether they are correct or not. In this case, the equation in Earth's frame considers force due to (M+m)g-T but the acceleration is for (M+m) only ! Why ?

Any help is appeciated

3. Answers
a)15 kg
b) 1800 N

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
a. It's correct.

It is more convenient if you consider the man and the cabin as the whole thing. By that, the total force acting on the whole thing is 2T-(m+M)g=0

The N forces between the man and the cabin are just internal ones.

b. Considering like a), you only see the whole thing going up with acceleration a, Newton's law 2 now is:

2T-(m+M)g=(m+M)a

which is the same as you derived.

BTW,

in the cabin's frame of ref. -:
N+T-mg=ma (ma is pseudo force)

is not true.

you are still in the Earth's frame, the right-hand side is the result of the net force in the left hand side.

If you want to write in the frame sticked with the cabin, it should be:
N+T-mg-ma=0 zero because the cabin sees you standing rest, and ma now is the pseudo force. Of course, the result must be the same.

Thx for the help Weimin, much appreciated :biggrin:

Related to Weight and Force in a Hanging Cabin

1. What are the three laws of motion?

The three laws of motion, also known as Newton's laws, are fundamental principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the force acting on an object is directly proportional to its mass and acceleration. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do you solve a problem involving Newton's laws of motion?

To solve a problem involving Newton's laws of motion, you first need to identify the forces acting on the object and their directions. Then, you can use Newton's second law (F = ma) to calculate the net force on the object. Finally, apply Newton's first law to determine the resulting motion of the object.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is measured in kilograms, while weight is measured in newtons. The mass of an object will remain the same regardless of its location, but the weight will vary depending on the strength of the gravitational force.

4. Can Newton's laws of motion be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, Newton's laws of motion can be applied to all types of motion, including linear, circular, and rotational motion. They also apply to both objects on Earth and in space.

5. What are some real-life examples of Newton's laws of motion?

Some real-life examples of Newton's laws of motion include a ball rolling down a hill (demonstrating the first and second laws), a rocket launching into space (demonstrating the third law), and a person pushing a shopping cart (demonstrating the second and third laws).