Speed and apparent weight of person in reverse bungee jumping

In summary: I really appreciate it!In summary, the conversation discusses finding the speed and apparent weight of a person inside a capsule by using equations and principles such as Newton's 2nd law and conservation of energy. The position where the apparent weight is the largest is determined to be at the lowest position when the capsule starts to move. The vertical forces acting on the person+capsule and their relationship to acceleration are also considered.
songoku
Homework Statement
This is set up of reverse bungee jumping (see picture below). The total mass is 500 kg, the original length of cord is 25 m and total elastic potential energy at ground level is 0.6 MJ. Find:
a. speed of capsule when the cords first become loose
b. position where the apparent weight of the person inside it will be the greatest
Relevant Equations
Conservation of energy

Newton's Law
1626672832396.png

a. To find the speed, I need to find the height where the cords first become loose, which is when the cord is 25 m long.
$$h=30-\sqrt{25^2 - 5^2}$$

But the teacher's working is ##h=30-\sqrt{25^2 - 4^2}##

How to get 4?

b. My idea is to use Newton's 2nd law so I draw free body diagram of the person inside the capsule. There are two forces, normal force acting upwards and weight acting downwards. The apparent weight is the normal force acting on the person. The equation of motion is:
$$N-W = m.a$$
$$N=W+m.a$$

So the apparent weight is the largest when the acceleration is the largest. How to know the position where the acceleration is the largest?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
How to get 4?
Perhaps there is some information in the original problem description on the width of the capsule, or more specifically, the distance between the two cord attachment points on the capsule?

Likes songoku
songoku said:
the original length of cord is 25 m
Should that read "length of each cord"?

songoku said:
How to know the position where the acceleration is the largest?
A good first step would be to write an equation for the upward motion. Either start with forces and accelerations or look for a conservation principle that might help.

Likes songoku
Filip Larsen said:
Perhaps there is some information in the original problem description on the width of the capsule, or more specifically, the distance between the two cord attachment points on the capsule?
You are correct. I just asked my teacher and he said there should be information about effective diameter of the capsule, which is 2 m. Now I understand how to get 4 (I draw the diagram when the length of each cord is 25 m)

haruspex said:
Should that read "length of each cord"?
Yes, my bad. I am sorry
haruspex said:
A good first step would be to write an equation for the upward motion. Either start with forces and accelerations or look for a conservation principle that might help.
Would the equation for upward motion be the one I wrote in #1?
$$N=W+ma$$

For conservation principle, the one I think is conservation of energy. I think I need to find the position where the KE is the greatest since it corresponds to highest speed and maybe highest acceleration (I am not so sure).

At start of motion, KE is zero then it will increase until the cord first becomes loose since there is no more elastic potential energy can be converted into KE so the largest apparent weight will be at position of ##30 - \sqrt{25^2 - 4^2}## above the ground.

Is this correct? Thanks

songoku said:
highest speed and maybe highest acceleration
No, highest speed would be zero acceleration. If acceleration is positive then a higher speed is coming, and if it is negative then a higher speed was achieved in the past.
songoku said:
KE is zero then it will increase until the cord first becomes loose
That is not true either. By the time the cord is loose the speed will have dropped.

Yes, use conservation of work, but write the general expression for the total work at any given height.

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
Yes, use conservation of work, but write the general expression for the total work at any given height.
Total work = ##\Delta GPE+\Delta KE-\Delta EPE## (EPE = elastic potential energy)

$$=mg(30-\sqrt{L^2-4^2})+\frac{1}{2}mv^2+2 \times \frac{1}{2}k(L-25)^2$$

Is that correct? If yes, what should I do next to know about apparent weight?

Thanks

songoku said:
Total work = ##\Delta GPE+\Delta KE-\Delta EPE## (EPE = elastic potential energy)

$$=mg(30-\sqrt{L^2-4^2})+\frac{1}{2}mv^2+2 \times \frac{1}{2}k(L-25)^2$$

Is that correct? If yes, what should I do next to know about apparent weight?

Thanks
Sorry, but having thought about it a bit more I see a much easier way.
As you noted in post #4, max apparent weight corresponds to max normal force and thus to max acceleration. What vertical forces act on the person+capsule? Which of these is variable? At what position is it maximised?

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
Sorry, but having thought about it a bit more I see a much easier way.
As you noted in post #4, max apparent weight corresponds to max normal force and thus to max acceleration. What vertical forces act on the person+capsule? Which of these is variable? At what position is it maximised?
Vertical forces are two tensions directed upwards and weight. The equation will be:
$$2T \cos \theta -W=m.a$$
where ##\theta## is angle between the cord and vertical

To get maximum ##a##, it means that both ##T## and ##\cos \theta## should be maximum. ##T## is maximum when the cord has maximum extension and ##\cos \theta## is maximum when the angle is the smallest so the position where the apparent weight is the largest is at the lowest position when the capsule starts to move.

Is that correct? Thanks

songoku said:
Vertical forces are two tensions directed upwards and weight. The equation will be:
$$2T \cos \theta -W=m.a$$
where ##\theta## is angle between the cord and vertical

To get maximum ##a##, it means that both ##T## and ##\cos \theta## should be maximum. ##T## is maximum when the cord has maximum extension and ##\cos \theta## is maximum when the angle is the smallest so the position where the apparent weight is the largest is at the lowest position when the capsule starts to move.

Is that correct? Thanks
Yes.

Likes songoku
Thank you very much Filip Larsen and haruspex

1. How does the speed of a person in reverse bungee jumping compare to other extreme sports?

The speed of a person in reverse bungee jumping can vary, but it is generally faster than other extreme sports such as skydiving or zip lining. This is because the bungee cord is designed to stretch and propel the person upwards at a high velocity.

2. Does the weight of the person affect their speed in reverse bungee jumping?

Yes, the weight of the person does affect their speed in reverse bungee jumping. Heavier individuals will experience a faster acceleration and reach a higher velocity compared to lighter individuals. This is due to the force of gravity acting on the mass of the person.

3. What factors can affect the apparent weight of a person in reverse bungee jumping?

The apparent weight of a person in reverse bungee jumping can be affected by several factors, including the length and elasticity of the bungee cord, the weight and height of the person, and the angle at which the person is launched. Wind resistance and air density can also play a role in the perceived weight of the person.

4. Is there a limit to how fast a person can go in reverse bungee jumping?

There is no specific limit to how fast a person can go in reverse bungee jumping, as it depends on the design of the bungee cord and the weight of the person. However, most bungee jumping companies have safety regulations in place to ensure that the speed does not exceed a certain threshold to prevent injury.

5. Can the speed and apparent weight of a person in reverse bungee jumping be calculated?

Yes, the speed and apparent weight of a person in reverse bungee jumping can be calculated using physics equations and measurements such as the length and elasticity of the bungee cord, the weight and height of the person, and the angle of launch. However, these calculations may not be entirely accurate due to external factors such as wind resistance and air density.