Weird Defensive Force Field of Alien Space Probe

In summary, the conversation is about two astronauts investigating an alien probe in a bad science fiction movie. The probe creates a defensive force field, and the ship's computer produces a graph of potential energy at different distances from the probe. Susie and Fred are both drifting towards the probe at different distances and with different total mechanical energies. The conversation then focuses on finding Fred's maximum and final speeds using the law of conservation of energy.
pkwhitey
plot.jpg

In a rather bad science fiction movie, astronauts Susie (mass 60 kg) and Fred (mass 86 kg) are investigating an alien probe. All of a sudden, the probe starts to produce a weird defensive force field. Their space ship's board computer scans the field and produces the above plot of the potential energy that Susie and Fred would have at different distances from the probe. The potential continues to be zero at larger distances than shown.

The computer locates Susie drifting toward the probe at a distance of 5 m with a total (mechanical) energy of 7 kJ, and Fred, also drifting toward the probe, at a distance of 6 m with a total (mechanical) energy of 9 kJ. One Kilojoule (kJ) is 103 Joules.

1.) What will be Fred's maximum speed?
2.) What will be Fred's final speed?

E[SUB m]=K+U K=(1/2)mv^2 How I began Solving: I began by using what is given to find out how much potential energy Fred had. I know that the maximum speed will occur by using one of the turning points on the graph. I am not sure though how to use the information given to find the maximum speed and final speed.

Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
It might help you to think about it if you model it in a simple Earthbound context. How might you set up a potential energy curve like that?

haruspex said:
It might help you to think about it if you model it in a simple Earthbound context. How might you set up a potential energy curve like that?
Well I know that the the maximum speed occurs when the potential energy is at its minimum. The potential energy is at a minimum at x=5m. I am looking for the maximum velocity but I don't know how to find the kinetic energy at the point.

pkwhitey said:
Well I know that the the maximum speed occurs when the potential energy is at its minimum. The potential energy is at a minimum at x=5m. I am looking for the maximum velocity but I don't know how to find the kinetic energy at the point.
Yes, the max speed will be at minimum PE. That follows from a certain conservation law. That law tells you more than just that, though. What is that law in full?

haruspex said:
Yes, the max speed will be at minimum PE. That follows from a certain conservation law. That law tells you more than just that, though. What is that law in full?
Ok, I understand. EM= U+K U=-8kJ and EM=9kJ 17kJ=.5mv^2 solve for v.

Thank you.

1. What exactly is the "Weird Defensive Force Field" of the Alien Space Probe?

The "Weird Defensive Force Field" is a unique and advanced technology used by the Alien Space Probe to protect itself from potential threats. It is a powerful energy field that surrounds the probe and can deflect or absorb incoming attacks.

2. How does the Weird Defensive Force Field work?

The exact workings of the force field are not fully understood, as it is based on advanced alien technology. However, it is believed that the field is created by harnessing and manipulating electromagnetic fields to create a protective barrier around the probe.

3. Can the Weird Defensive Force Field be penetrated?

It is highly unlikely that the force field can be penetrated by any known human technology. However, there is a possibility that a highly advanced alien technology or a coordinated attack from multiple sources could potentially break through the force field.

4. What happens if the Weird Defensive Force Field is breached?

In the event that the force field is breached, the Alien Space Probe has multiple layers of defense mechanisms to protect itself. These could include physical barriers, offensive weapons, or even self-destruct protocols.

5. Is the Weird Defensive Force Field dangerous for humans?

The force field is not inherently dangerous for humans, as it is designed to protect the Alien Space Probe from external threats. However, it is important to exercise caution and not attempt to approach or attack the probe, as it may trigger a defensive response from the force field.