Weird / Interesing science related objects

In summary, the conversation discusses favorite songs, weird science-related objects, and a car sound system with 43 hp. It also mentions a gravity lamp and a cell phone tower disguised as a tree. The conversation concludes with a story about using sheep to help with a Cambridge sky survey.
YoungPhysicist
Insights Author
I've seen the recent threads on this subforum about favorite songs,what you've learned,lame jokes...so,I decided to start a similar one.

What are some of the weirdest science-related objects you've seen?

If you posted a picture, please make sure it has no copyright issues and use a spoiler tag after the picture so everyone can guess what it is:wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
BC8DF6A4-20AD-4A01-8EC5-35906A733B80.jpeg

Taiwanese bamboo dragonfly.
You can make it fly by spinning the thin portion of it with your hands And it will lift off by its propellers
By the way,I took the picture, so no copyright issues.

Attachments

• BC8DF6A4-20AD-4A01-8EC5-35906A733B80.jpeg
    BC8DF6A4-20AD-4A01-8EC5-35906A733B80.jpeg
    29.3 KB · Views: 584
The wierdest science related things (atleast to me) and are gravity lamps.
Works just like a cuckoo clock...but with rocks or heavy bag with dirty clothes !...funny yet ingenious ! I find it wierd...i don't know why.

Likes YoungPhysicist
Navin said:
That is a really useful and important device for those countries and it had been featured in National Geographic’s:wink:

I've posted this picture before in an EE thread on camoflage antennas. It's a cell phone tower in Santa Clara, CA. No really, it is! :smile:

Likes DennisN and BillTre
The first Cambridge sky survey, of astronomical radio sources, used a telescope with a lot of horizontally strung wires at about neck height in a field. The grass needed to be cut short so as not to interfere with the reception, but the neck height wires were a problem for that. So they released sheep into the field. So the sheep were an integral part of the functioning of the telescope...

Likes berkeman

What is the weirdest object found in space?

The weirdest object found in space is probably the Oumuamua, an interstellar object that passed through our solar system in 2017. It has a very unusual shape and trajectory, leading some scientists to speculate that it may be an alien spacecraft.

What is the most interesting element on the periodic table?

The most interesting element on the periodic table is subjective, but many scientists would argue that it is hydrogen. It is the most abundant element in the universe and has unique properties that make it essential for life.

What is the strangest animal on Earth?

The strangest animal on Earth is a matter of debate, but one candidate is the axolotl. This amphibian has the ability to regenerate its limbs, spinal cord, and even parts of its brain. It also has the rare trait of retaining its juvenile features into adulthood.

What is the most bizarre phenomenon in nature?

The most bizarre phenomenon in nature is likely ball lightning. This rare event involves a glowing sphere of light that appears during a thunderstorm and can move through the air, even through solid objects. Its exact cause is still unknown.

What is the most mysterious object in the universe?

The most mysterious object in the universe is currently thought to be dark matter. It makes up about 85% of the total matter in the universe but cannot be seen or detected by any known methods. Its existence is inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter.