Weird News Compilation

• News
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News Weird
In summary, a man who used to be a Fox News guest analyst and claimed to be a CIA agent was sentenced to 33 months in prison for lying about his security clearance, criminal history, and finances.
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,682

A San Diego woman says she paid her entire apartment building's utility bills for 2 years — then her power was shut off.​

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/anybody-paying-attention-san-diego-131700708.html

Patterson lives in a two-bedroom, two-bathroom apartment, yet her monthly utility bill would sometimes come to $400,

It was only when SDG&E turned off the power to Patterson’s unit one night that she discovered why her bill was so high.

Despite consistently paying for the 10-unit building’s utilities, it turns out her unit had a separate account under her ex-boyfriend's name that hadn't been paid in two years. It wasn't until she got on the phone with SDG&E to explain she had been making payments the entire time that the company realized the error.

Always check your bills for spurious charges!

Likes BillTre
  • #1,683
Astronuc said:
Imagine returning from a trip to find one's car smashed!

United plane drops tire, smashing cars, as it departs SFO. Jet lands safely at LAX​

https://www.yahoo.com/news/united-airlines-plane-departing-sfo-002633544.html

Ouch!
It was the employee parking lot. It would be ironic if the person who installed the tire had their car struck by it. :oldtongue:

Likes nsaspook, Astronuc and BillTre
  • #1,684
Borg said:
It was the employee parking lot. It would be ironic if the person who installed the tire had their car struck by it. :oldtongue:

"That'll buff right out."

• #1,685
I'm waiting for the headline that United is converting some of their aircraft to bombers.

• Haha
Likes BillTre
  • #1,686

It was in front of a 'Rocket' store, so I blame Aliens.

• #1,687
https://hub.jhu.edu/2024/03/07/alien-meteor-truck/

INTERSTELLAR SIGNAL LINKED TO ALIENS WAS ACTUALLY JUST A TRUCK​

The findings from a Johns Hopkins University-led team raise doubts that materials pulled last year from the ocean are alien materials from a 2014 meteor fireball​

• Haha
Likes Astronuc, berkeman and BillTre
  • #1,689

• Wow
Likes dlgoff and BillTre
  • #1,690
Just a guess but I'm betting that they won't let him park there anymore.

Likes dlgoff, BillTre and Ibix
  • #1,691
Borg said:
Just a guess but I'm betting that they won't let him park there anymore.

Me : "You can't drift a cargo ship, into a parking space..."Captain : "Hold my beer."

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes collinsmark, berkeman and BillTre
  • #1,692

Quick yoga before robbery: Burglar stretches before allegedly robbing bakery

An alleged burglar is filmed doing yoga stretches before allegedly robbing a Richmond bakery. Police have charged a 44-year-old woman who allegedly broke into Phillippa's Bakery stealing croissants, an iPad, and other items.

Likes BillTre
  • #1,693
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/student-persuaded-friend-legs-amputated-071127189.html
A student persuaded by his friend to get his legs amputated for a $1.3 million insurance scam wound up getting only $7,200 that he now has to return: prosecutors
Liao, also 23, suffered losses from trading cryptocurrency, and he tricked Zhang into signing a legal note obligating him to pay about $800,000, investigators said.

The local media outlet Taiwan News reported that Liao told Zhang that gangsters were pursuing him.

The 23-year-old, identified only by his last name, Zhang, plunged his feet in a bucket of dry ice for more than 10 hours to get them so badly frostbitten that he would need a double amputation, the Taiwan Criminal Investigation Bureau said in a Thursday release.
With friends like that ...

• Wow
Likes Astranut, pinball1970, Borg and 1 other person
  • #1,694
  • Informative
Likes dextercioby, nsaspook and BillTre
  • #1,695
Borg said:
Every time that I think that I've heard the dumbest thing ever, something like this comes along...
He could have earned money legitimately by getting a highly paid but stressful job.
Unfortunately he got cold feet..

• Haha
Likes Astranut, BillTre, nsaspook and 1 other person
  • #1,698
Astronuc said:
I could see Michael Palin as the interviewer and John Cleese as the scientist.
A search for Philomena Cunk on YouTube will bring up lots of hilarious spoof interviews with real experts.

Likes Astronuc
  • #1,699
Swamp Thing said:
A search for Philomena Cunk on YouTube will bring up lots of hilarious spoof interviews with real experts.
Her sketch on "time"

"Because of the shape of clocks, you’d think that time goes in a circle, but it actually… goes in a line.

This… (The meridian line in Greenwich) is the Greenwich Marillion line, named after the band Marillion, who were named, after this line."

Shes great.

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto, Astranut, collinsmark and 3 others
  • #1,701
Lego requests California police department stop using their toy heads to cover suspect mugshots
WhyTheCoveredFaces.JPG

• Haha
Likes BillTre, Astronuc, collinsmark and 1 other person
  • #1,702
Wow, I've never seen this before...

1711932192948.png

• Wow
  • Haha
Likes jack action and collinsmark
  • #1,703
For the upcoming solar eclipse, keep an eye on the animals

Likes Astranut
  • #1,704
Lucky guy. He never 'saw' it coming. :oldtongue:

• Wow
Likes nsaspook, Astronuc, collinsmark and 4 others
  • #1,705
It's hard to believe that this wasn't noticed for the first 4 games last weekend...

1711980429905.png

1711980475571.png

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — The 3-point line for the women’s NCAA Tournament at Moda Center had a discrepancy in distance at each end of the court that went unnoticed through four games over two days before Texas and North Carolina State were informed of the problem ahead of their Elite Eight matchup on Sunday.

The teams’ coaches agreed to play Sunday’s game as scheduled with the mismatched 3-point lines rather than delay it, the NCAA said in a statement. N.C. State beat Texas 76-66 to advance to the Final Four.

“The NCAA was notified (Sunday) that the 3-point lines on the court at Moda Center in Portland are not the same distance. The NCAA staff and women’s basketball committee members on site consulted with the two head coaches who were made aware of the discrepancy. All parties elected to play a complete game on the court as is, rather than correcting the court and delaying the game,” Lynn Holzman, the NCAA’s vice president of women’s basketball, said in a statement.

• Wow
  • Haha
Likes mfb, collinsmark, BillTre and 1 other person
  • #1,706
Borg said:

"We don't go to Ravenholm..."

He would have been right at home though with the Zero Point Energy Field Manipulator (a.k.a. gravity gun).

Last edited:
  • #1,707
Borg said:

His life was nearly cut short.

Likes Borg and BillTre
  • #1,708
nsaspook said:
His life was nearly cut short.
A close shave.

Likes BillTre
  • #1,709
"I dunno, paw. He's cut in half real bad..."

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
  • #1,710
Lyrics have become simpler over the decades according to this study.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-024-55742-x

A quick comparison below.

She’s leaving Home (Paul McCartney – voted Beatles 10th best song in one poll) 1966

Wednesday morning at five o'clock
As the day begins
Silently closing her bedroom door
Leaving the note that she hoped would say more
She goes down the stairs to the kitchen
Clutching her handkerchief
Quietly turning the backdoor key
Stepping outside, she is free
She, ... (we gave her most of our lives)
Is leaving (sacrificed most of our lives)

…shes leaving home after living along for so many years.

Drunk In Love (8 writers, won Best R&B Song and Best R&B Performance. ) 2013

I've been drinkin', I've been drinkin'
I get filthy when that liquor get into me
I've been thinkin', I've been thinkin'
Why can't I keep my fingers off it?
Baby, I want you, now, now
Why can't I keep my fingers off you?
Baby, I want you, na na
Cigars on ice, cigars on ice
Feelin' like an animal with these cameras all in my grill
Flashin' lights, flashin' lights
You got me faded, faded, faded
Baby, I want you, na na
Can't keep your eyes off my fatty
Daddy, I want you, na na
Drunk in love, I want you

Last edited:
  • #1,711

OMG!

• #1,712
berkeman said:
Wow, I've never seen this before...

View attachment 342640
I'm thinking there should be a size limit in basketball. :oldbiggrin:

• Haha
Likes berkeman
  • #1,713
nsaspook said:

OMG!

It's a shame the solar panels were destroyed, but good god, the whole business about leaking chemicals poisoning the water table is nothing but ignorance and fear mongering. :rolleyes:

Likes BillTre and dlgoff
  • #1,714
collinsmark said:
... but good god, the whole business about leaking chemicals poisoning the water table is nothing but ignorance and fear mongering. :rolleyes:
Yes. I agree.

Likes collinsmark
  • #1,715
collinsmark said:
It's a shame the solar panels were destroyed, but good god, the whole business about leaking chemicals poisoning the water table is nothing but ignorance and fear mongering. :rolleyes:
"Dunno." Had quite a bit of really juicy stuff to clean up from "gifts" from family members that didn't age gracefully in the Colorado sun a few years back; packaging materials may have evolved in the 10-15 years since, but...?

Last edited by a moderator: