What Are These Mysterious Objects Spotted Near Orion?

In summary: Dennis has the right scope and brand. Totally agree and it's Newtonian with the secondary and it's spider bracket -- as has been noted many times before, Dennis has the right scope and brand.
Hijole
Hi all!

I am new here :)

I was observing Orion with the astro software Aladin and I found two similar relatively weird objects. I would like to share with you the image, with the zoom on each of them.

Any explanation? Could they be the same object (a satellite?) seen in two different moments?

Thank you!

Attachments

• Whatsthat.png
    Whatsthat.png
    78.4 KB · Views: 122
Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Looks like an internal reflection from the telescope to me - the dark region in the middle is the secondary mirror and the + pattern is its supports.

Paging a few of the astrophotographers - @collinsmark, @DennisN, @davenn.

Likes davenn and Hijole
Almost certainly what that is, yes. What make/brand of scope is it?
(It's obviously a reflector, so Schmidt-Cass, Newtonian or Dob).

Wait, this is a sim??

I think we need some context. What is the relationship between the three pics you've uploaded?

Thanks!

The image is from the Digitized Sky Survey, a ground-based imaging survey of the entire sky, performed with Palomar and UK Schmidt telescopes, producing photographic plates that were later digitized.

Oh. OK, I see the context now. A and B are labeled in the primary image. The right images are blow ups.

Here are some example 4-vane double spiders :
1630965997357.png

1630966035619.png

Here is where the "spider" goes in a generic reflector scope:
1630966239891.png

1630966309265.png

So the data that your Aladin software is using must be including these artifacts of the Palomar and UK Schmidt scopes.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Hijole
These are definitely internal reflections inside the telescope. They are usually referred to as "ghosts". They are usually associated with bright stars. No optical system is perfect, and it is very difficult to eliminate these because the bright stars are so much brighter than the surrounding regions. A is probably associated with Sirius in the lower left, and B could be a second ghost associated with Sirius or a ghost associated with Rigel.

• Informative
Likes Hijole and DaveC426913
DaveC426913 said:
Oh. OK, I see the context now. A and B are labeled in the primary image. The right images are blow ups.

Here are some example 4-vane double spiders :
View attachment 288680
View attachment 288681

Here is where the "spider" goes in a generic reflector scope:
View attachment 288682
View attachment 288683

So the data that your Aladin software is using must be including these artifacts of the Palomar and UK Schmidt scopes.
Very clear, thank you! :)

Likes DaveC426913
phyzguy said:
These are definitely internal reflections inside the telescope. They are usually referred to as "ghosts". They are usually associated with bright stars. No optical system is perfect, and it is very difficult to eliminate these because the bright stars are so much brighter than the surrounding regions. A is probably associated with Sirius in the lower left, and B could be a second ghost associated with Sirius or a ghost associated with Rigel.
Hi phyzguy,

Thanks! Now I see, but why internal reflections are produced in the case of bright stars? Is also possible having ghosts in the case of other bright sources like quasars?

Hijole said:
Hi phyzguy,

Thanks! Now I see, but why internal reflections are produced in the case of bright stars? Is also possible having ghosts in the case of other bright sources like quasars?
Light is supposed to follow a certain path through the optical system, but there are always unintended refections. This site shows some ghost images that appear in the Hubble Space Telescope. Any object will have a ghost associated with it, but as the object gets fainter the ghost eventually gets so faint that it is undetectable. In theory a quasar will have a ghost associated with it, but the brightest known quasar (3C273) is about a million times fainter than Sirius, so the ghost would be invisible.

• Informative
Likes Hijole
phyzguy said:
Light is supposed to follow a certain path through the optical system, but there are always unintended refections. This site shows some ghost images that appear in the Hubble Space Telescope. Any object will have a ghost associated with it, but as the object gets fainter the ghost eventually gets so faint that it is undetectable. In theory a quasar will have a ghost associated with it, but the brightest known quasar (3C273) is about a million times fainter than Sirius, so the ghost would be invisible.
Thank you for the clear (qualitative and quantitative) explanation!

Ibix said:
Looks like an internal reflection from the telescope to me - the dark region in the middle is the secondary mirror and the + pattern is its supports.

Paging a few of the astrophotographers - @collinsmark, @DennisN, @davenn.
totally agree and it's Newtonian with the secondary and it's spider bracket -- as has been noted

Likes Hijole

1. What are "Weird" objects near Orion?

"Weird" objects near Orion are a group of astronomical objects that have unusual or unexpected characteristics, such as unusual shapes, colors, or behaviors. These objects can include stars, galaxies, nebulae, and other celestial bodies.

2. How were these "Weird" objects discovered?

These objects were first observed by astronomers using telescopes and other instruments. Some were discovered through accidental observations, while others were specifically targeted for study due to their unusual properties.

3. What causes these objects to appear "Weird"?

The "Weird" appearance of these objects can be caused by a variety of factors, such as their age, composition, or interactions with other objects. Some may also be the result of rare or unique events, such as supernovae or collisions between galaxies.

4. Are these "Weird" objects important to study?

Yes, these objects are important to study because they can provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of the universe. By studying these objects, scientists can also gain a better understanding of the physical processes that govern the behavior of celestial bodies.

5. Can we see these "Weird" objects with the naked eye?

Some of these objects can be seen with the naked eye, while others require powerful telescopes or other instruments to observe. The visibility of these objects also depends on factors such as their distance from Earth and the amount of light pollution in the area.