Weyl Tensor invariant under conformal transformations

In summary, the Weyl tensor is given in four dimensions as: C_{\rho\sigma\mu\nu}=R_{\rho\sigma\mu\nu}-\left(g_{\rho\left[\mu\right.}R_{\left.v\right]\sigma}-g_{\sigma\left[\mu\right.}R_{\left.v\right]\rho}\right)+\frac{1}{3}g_{\rho\left[\mu\right.}g_{\left.\nu\right]\sigma}R where ##R_{\mu\nu}## is the Ricci
Al X

Homework Statement

As the title says, I need to show this. A conformal transformation is made by changing the metric:
##g_{\mu\nu}\mapsto\omega(x)^{2}g_{\mu\nu}=\tilde{g}_{\mu\nu}##

Homework Equations

The Weyl tensor is given in four dimensions as:
##
C_{\rho\sigma\mu\nu}=R_{\rho\sigma\mu\nu}-\left(g_{\rho\left[\mu\right.}R_{\left.v\right]\sigma}-g_{\sigma\left[\mu\right.}R_{\left.v\right]\rho}\right)+\frac{1}{3}g_{\rho\left[\mu\right.}g_{\left.\nu\right]\sigma}R
##

where ##R_{\mu\nu}## is the Ricci tensor, ##R## is the Ricci scalar, and ##R_{\rho\sigma\mu\nu}## is the Riemann tensor

The Attempt at a Solution

##
\begin{eqnarray*}
\tilde{g}_{\rho\left[\mu\right.}R_{\left.v\right]\sigma}&=&\frac{1}{2}\left(\tilde{g}_{\rho\mu}R_{\nu\sigma}-\tilde{g}_{\rho\nu}R_{\mu\sigma}\right)=\frac{1}{2}\omega(x)^{2}\left(g_{\rho\mu}R_{\nu\sigma}-g_{\rho\nu}R_{\mu\sigma}\right)\\\tilde{g}_{\sigma\left[\mu\right.}R_{\left.v\right]\rho}&=&\frac{1}{2}\left(\tilde{g}_{\sigma\mu}R_{\nu\rho}-\tilde{g}_{\sigma\nu}R_{\mu\rho}\right)=\frac{1}{2}\omega(x)^{2}\left(g_{\sigma\mu}R_{\nu\rho}-g_{\sigma\nu}R_{\mu\rho}\right)\\\tilde{g}_{\rho\left[\mu\right.}\tilde{g}_{\left.\nu\right]\sigma}&=&\frac{1}{2}\left(\tilde{g}_{\rho\mu}\tilde{g}_{\nu\sigma}-\tilde{g}_{\rho\nu}\tilde{g}_{\mu\sigma}\right)=\frac{1}{2}\omega(x)^{4}\left(g_{\rho\mu}g_{\nu\sigma}-g_{\rho\nu}g_{\mu\sigma}\right)
\end{eqnarray*}
##

From here, I am lost. How do I make the ##\omega(x)## vanish?

Physics news on Phys.org
If ## g_{\mu\nu} \to \omega (x)^{2}g_{\mu\nu}##, what about ##\Gamma_{\mu\nu}^{\sigma}##? Is ##\tilde{R}_{\rho\sigma\mu\nu}## the same as ##R_{\rho\sigma\mu\nu}##?

Thanks! That gave me the push in the right direction! Managed to solve it now.

Sorry to dig an old post, but I’m currently struggling with Weyl tensor conformal invariance as well.

I started with the following assumptions:

- the invariant tensor is not ##C_{abcd}## but ##C^a\,_{bcd}##
- Connection was not metrically compatible
- the transformation I considered was slightly different but basically equivalent: ##g_{\mu\nu}=e^{-2\omega}g_{\mu\nu}##

In this case, invariance was immediate as neither ##\Gamma^\mu_{\nu\rho}##, nor the Riemann or the Ricci change under conformal rescaling, but only the scalar curvature and the Ricci with one index up (##R^\mu\,_\nu\equiv g^{\mu\lambda}R_{\lambda\nu}##).

Now, I was trying to prove conformal invariance with metrical connection, so with nontrivial modifications of connection coefficients, Riemann, Ricci tensor and scalar: as I’m stuck with huge formulas, could anyone confirm if it’s normal or if I’m missing some simplifying argument?
I’m not asking for detailed calculations but feel free to post them if you want.

Thanks!

Related to Weyl Tensor invariant under conformal transformations

1. What does it mean for the Weyl Tensor to be invariant under conformal transformations?

The Weyl Tensor is a mathematical quantity that describes the curvature of spacetime in the theory of general relativity. Invariance under conformal transformations means that the Weyl Tensor remains unchanged when the coordinates used to describe spacetime are stretched or compressed.

2. Why is it important for the Weyl Tensor to be invariant under conformal transformations?

Invariance under conformal transformations is important because it allows us to use different coordinate systems to describe the same physical phenomenon without affecting the underlying physics. This is useful in general relativity where different observers may use different coordinates to describe the same spacetime.

3. How is the invariance of the Weyl Tensor under conformal transformations related to the conformal symmetry of spacetime?

Conformal symmetry is a mathematical property of a system that remains unchanged under conformal transformations. The invariance of the Weyl Tensor under these transformations is a manifestation of the conformal symmetry of spacetime.

4. Can the Weyl Tensor be used to study the behavior of black holes?

Yes, the Weyl Tensor is an important tool in studying the behavior of black holes. It describes the gravitational radiation emitted by black holes and can help us understand the structure and dynamics of these objects.

5. Are there any other applications of the Weyl Tensor's invariance under conformal transformations?

Yes, the Weyl Tensor's invariance under conformal transformations has applications in cosmology, quantum field theory, and other areas of physics. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of gravitational waves.