Weyl version of the Rarita-schwinger equation

• Thread starter yola
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weyl
In summary, the Weyl version of the Rarita-Schwinger equation expresses the symmetric spinors φ and χ in terms of two component spinors instead of Dirac spinors. The field equations have a representation of ((l+1)/2 , k/2) ⊕ (l/2 , (k+1)/2) and include no Dirac spinors, only Rarita-Schwinger spinors. The mass is represented by κ and can be replaced by the Levi-Civita tensor if desired.
yola
Hello,
Can someone please give me the form of the "Weyl" version of the Rarita-Schwinger equation.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what you mean. What's the Weyl version of other equation ?

i want the expression in terms of two component spinors and not Dirac spinors.

There are no Dirac spinors in that equation, but Rarita-Schwinger spinors.

yes you're right.
what if i want to express it in terms of sigmas instead of gamma matrices. by what i can replace the levi-civita?

abφaa1a2...alb1b2...bk = iκ χa1a2...alb1b2...bk
abχa1a2...albb1b2...bk = iκ φaa1a2...albb1b2...bk

Here both spinors φ and χ are symmetric. κ is the mass. φ has l+1 undotted (raised) and k dotted (lowered) indices; χ has l undotted and k+1 dotted indices. The underlying representation of the field equations is therefore ((l+1)/2 , k/2) ⊕ (l/2 , (k+1)/2).

Last edited:

Related to Weyl version of the Rarita-schwinger equation

1. What is the Weyl version of the Rarita-Schwinger equation?

The Weyl version of the Rarita-Schwinger equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of a spin-3/2 particle, such as the gravitino in supergravity theories. It is a generalization of the Dirac equation for spin-1/2 particles.

2. How does the Weyl version of the Rarita-Schwinger equation differ from the Dirac equation?

The Weyl version of the Rarita-Schwinger equation differs from the Dirac equation in that it has a higher spin, specifically for spin-3/2 particles. This means that it requires a different mathematical formulation and has a different set of solutions compared to the Dirac equation.

3. What are the implications of the Weyl version of the Rarita-Schwinger equation in theoretical physics?

The Weyl version of the Rarita-Schwinger equation is important in theoretical physics as it allows for the description of spin-3/2 particles, which are crucial in theories such as supergravity and supersymmetry. It also has applications in cosmology and high energy physics.

4. How is the Weyl version of the Rarita-Schwinger equation derived?

The Weyl version of the Rarita-Schwinger equation is derived from the Weyl representation of the Dirac equation in which the spinor field is decomposed into two Weyl spinors. This results in a set of coupled equations that describe the behavior of spin-3/2 particles.

5. What are the limitations of the Weyl version of the Rarita-Schwinger equation?

One of the main limitations of the Weyl version of the Rarita-Schwinger equation is that it cannot be used to describe interactions between spin-3/2 particles and spin-1/2 particles. It also breaks down at very high energies, where a more complete theory of quantum gravity is needed.